driving wages always low.

Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default driving wages always low.

ive been following H&R,+ truck driving threads for some time now and i have to say get a grip .
i have been a driver since 1982 in southern scotland , continental, long distance , local and the wages always and still are bad.
830 dollars home, i wish i got 415 aprox home instead less than 300.
people dont get big money driving ,if you do good for you but for the rest of us we get on with it.
yes were moving to canada and after asking questions on telephone to companys who replied to my cv 830 dollars seems to be around average take home and some were a lot less..
If you want big money learn a trade ,rob a bank but dont come on expats moaning all the time
driving is and always will be low paid ,long hours..............
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving wages always low.

Hi there. Yes, I find the constant griping about how things are in Canada a little annoying too. They know these things exist; I assume that there are things that compensate and yet they constantly come on the board and bitch and complain - as if by doing so things are going to change somehow!! Or maybe they are making a point - things are not so good in Canada - then if you feel like that - stay home!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

hi. thats what i mean were used to low wages in s/scotland so what if the wages in canada are low, millions of canadians can manage on them
personaly we cant wait to go , if it goes wrong its only money at least we tried.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:12 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
ive been following H&R,+ truck driving threads for some time now and i have to say get a grip .
i have been a driver since 1982 in southern scotland , continental, long distance , local and the wages always and still are bad.
people dont get big money driving ,if you do good for you but for the rest of us we get on with it.
yes were moving to canada and after asking questions on telephone to companys who replied to my cv 830 dollars seems to be around average take home and some were a lot less..
If you want big money learn a trade ,rob a bank but dont come on expats moaning all the time
I too have been watching the trucking threads and i think now is about the time to reveal some facts (don't let this stop you believing we are paupers though, if thats what you want)
Please bear in mind that the following applies to ME, in NOVA SCOTIA and driving for the Co. i drive for.

I am an Owner/Operator, leasing a truck (2008 peterbilt 387) and driving exclusively for one company.
100% of outbound loads are Michelin tires to Houston, TX. Fort Worth, TX. Independence, VA. Monee, IL and Oshkosh, WI.
Reload is usually to the Toronto area and then another reload back to NS.
This makes a round trip to Houston and back somewhere in the region of 5,000 miles and takes 8/9 days, depending on how quickly i get the reload (to date i have only had to wait more than 4 hrs once.
When i get home I CHOOSE to be home 2 days before going out again, i could take 3 days and if i wanted longer i would have to request it.
I get paid $1.40 per loaded mile and $1.25 for deadheading (empty)
You can do your own maths but i expect to gross around $120,000 in the next 12 months Of course there are a lot of expenses to come out of that:
$2,350 truck payment per month
$220 plates and permits per month
$2000 fuel per month (app)
$0.055 per mile for insurance (min $550 p/m)
I don't know how much yet as i haven't submitted my 1st tax return but i will be getting considerable tax rebates on the expenses plus $24 for everyday i am on the road for meal expenses.

I expect to net at least $90,000 this year

If i have missed anything out, sorry. If any Driver/prospective driver/wannabe driver has a specific question/s regarding Truck driving then i will be happy to answer your PM's

Be safe

Andy

Last edited by andy_sheila; Aug 4th 2007 at 11:14 pm. Reason: typo corrected
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

I'm a little bit confused!!!
Humour a humble owner driver from Northern Ireland,
Is the $1.40/mile US or CDN
Whats your fuel surcharge
Your truck expenses don't mention anything about truck insurance,goods in transit,public liability insurance or are these different in Canada
Your expenses come to approx $61440/year which leaves a net of $58560 from your gross of $120'000,how do you get the net figure of $90'000 or what have I missed
Surely you can't get back approx $31440 in taxs
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

If you are telling me you are taking home less than £300/week for tramping around the UK well I'm sorry but you've only yourself to blame because I would say thats under the minimum wage by LAW!!!!!
I would hazard a guess and say most Mon to Fri "trampers" in the UK would take home an average of approx £450/week and for that you are home EVERY Fri/Sat.
My best mate works for a well known medium sized haulier here in N.Ireland on general haulage,he leaves for "the boat" on a Sun evening and works the max hours on the "mainland" before coming home Fri afternoons for £550/£580 take home/week!!!!
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

gaffer40 will become famous soon enough

a know what your sayin james. where you from. i'm from ayr. when you going. who you working for. are they paying for you to go over. where you going. sorry for all the q's. Regards Garry.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 1:01 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Your truck expenses don't mention anything about truck insurance,goods in transit,public liability insurance or are these different in Canada
Your expenses come to approx $61440/year which leaves a net of $58560 from your gross of $120'000,how do you get the net figure of $90'000 or what have I missed
I don't have a fuel surcharge, i have a company fuel card and repay them at the rate it cost them, they calculate my fuel taxes as i run under there authority, they pay me any rebate due (not built into the calculations)
$0.055 per mile for insurance (min $550 p/m) Even if maths isn't my strong point, at least i can read

Last edited by andy_sheila; Aug 5th 2007 at 1:41 am.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 1:29 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Originally Posted by Big Truck
As there is always some smart ass who wants to call you a liar, pour cold water on your achievements, is determined to be a doom and gloom merchant whatever the facts, here is a more itemised breakdown.
Income
mileage (100,000 x 1.40) = $140,000
Expenses
Insurance (100,000 x 0.055) = $5,500
Truck payment (2,350 x 12) = $28,200
Plates and permits (220 x 12) = $2,640
Fuel (2,000 x 12) = $24,000
The above expenses come to $60,340, take that away from $140,000 and you get $79,660.
add a minimum of $7,000 just for meal expenses and around $3,000 per qtr tax refund (= $12,000) and the before tax profit comes to $98,660.

The only figure i got wrong was the 120,000 gross and btw, all the figures i quote are conservative ie: 100,000 should only take 10 months, not 12 and i haven't even added the deadhead miles. meal expenses are calculated on 24 days out per month whereas i should be out 26 etc etc

fwiw i get paid in, and quoted $cdn but what difference does that make? i live in canada, pay Canadian taxes, buy 99% of my food and goods in Canada and this is a forum for people living and working (or hoping to) primarily in Canada

Last edited by andy_sheila; Aug 5th 2007 at 1:31 am.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Hi there,

What gets my goat is the ones who take the job and then moan later that the wages are pants and cant live on them.
HELLO
Use your brains and work out what you need each month and if you cover all your costs then your quids in if not dont take the job, YOU WOULDNT DO IT IN THE UK WOULD YOU.... PLANKS.
Sorry they make my blood boil.

LOAFY...
Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:24 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Morning everyone - new thread same old gripes . Thanks for being positive Andy. As Loafy writes "if you cover all your costs then your quids in if not dont take the job,"

We are not on this earth for long so do the best you can with the time and let others do the best they can with their time................... rambling now need more coffee
Old Aug 5th 2007, 9:34 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

hi. thats what i mean were used to low wages in s/scotland so what if the wages in canada are low, millions of canadians can manage on them
personaly we cant wait to go , if it goes wrong its only money at least we tried.
James
We are not going as drivers, but just reading through to this point and i have to agree
We have the same view, either try it or spend the rest of your life wondering "what if"

Good on you, we wish you all the best
Old Aug 5th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

in reply to a question about my wages , due to the the law we only work 48-50hrs,£7 at 50 hrs -350 + nights out (2-3) minus tax,union , ni,
comes out 300 or less..............
before you say it very few people in s/scotland get any more.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 3:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting and informative post Andrew. It would seem to be the case that an owner operator can make significantly better income than an employed driver? Presumably risk and reward is more significant e.g. you have to make that big truck lease payment per month irrespective of how many miles you get that month. But of course you can (as your numbers) illustrate make a good living doing it if you are successful.

Is this the same in the UK (throwing this one out generally to the Uk truckers!)? Oh yes and I may have got my wires crossed but Andrew were you not a real estate agent in NS at one stage?

Cheers,
AX
Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:18 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
An interesting and informative post Andrew. It would seem to be the case that an owner operator can make significantly better income than an employed driver? Presumably risk and reward is more significant e.g. you have to make that big truck lease payment per month irrespective of how many miles you get that month. But of course you can (as your numbers) illustrate make a good living doing it if you are successful.

Is this the same in the UK (throwing this one out generally to the Uk truckers!)? Oh yes and I may have got my wires crossed but Andrew were you not a real estate agent in NS at one stage?

Cheers,
AX
Hi AX, i was indeed a realtor but for a few reasons it didn't work out so i decided to be proactive rather than sit around and moan to everyone how life was unfair and how it was everyones fault but mine. I can't really comment on the UK trucking industry as i only drove for companies there but you are spot on with your observations regarding O/O vs Company driver although company drivers can earn a decent wage as well.
I'm pretty new to trucking in canada (5 months) and i'm sure i missed a few details/expenses/income out but the main point of my post was to illustrate that not all (not even the majority) drivers are low earners.
Downside? yes we are away from home a lot, but long hours? we can only work a maximum of 14 hrs a day

I hope everything is going well for you in AX Towers

Andy

Last edited by andy_sheila; Aug 5th 2007 at 4:26 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.