Desperate trucker

Old Jun 1st 2013, 9:33 am
Just Joined

HARNEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperate trucker

Hello,
First post so forgive my naivety. I live in London and i am a class 1 driver, 44yrs old with 10yrs experience.Im looking to get a job in Arizona.
Ive met a girl from just outside Phoenix, so i would have a base but i understand a truck driver does not match up to the criteria that i would need to live and work in the states.
Can anyone tell me if there is the slightest hope for me or is this dream doomed before it starts.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 12:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate trucker

Best to ask in the US immigration forums as they're the visa pros, but from my understanding as a trucker you've got no hope. But if you don't qualify for an employment based visa then hopefully the US immi regulars will be able to advise on any other routes i.e. study or marriage.

HTH and best of luck.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.
It was kind of what i was expecting.Marriage? Again? My age? Oh well!
Old Jun 1st 2013, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by HARNEY
Thanks for the reply.
It was kind of what i was expecting.Marriage? Again? My age? Oh well!
hi, just a thought but I read on here somewhere about truckers going over to America to work the harvest? I think it runs for 6-9 months? and I think your earnings are tax free don't know about the right to return or how quickly you can return i.e. 6 months later for the next season, but it might be enough time together to know if you want to get married to the girl
could be a way round your problem
Old Jun 1st 2013, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Grant, thank you.
I'll certainly look into that. Interesting. Thanks again.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Grant, thank you.
I'll certainly look into that. Interesting. Thanks again.
Have a look at posts put in here by sats72, he was the guy who talked about the harvest work in the us!
Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Smudger, ive messaged him, so fingers crossed!!
Much Appreciated.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

www.demarayharvesting.com
(Remember "The harvest" has you away from homebase for long periods)

You can go over and work from approx April to Nov/Dec on a H2A temp work visa as many times as you want.
I think after 4/5 seasons you can get a H2B visa which lets you live in the States perm AFAIA.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Truck
www.demarayharvesting.com
(Remember "The harvest" has you away from homebase for long periods)

You can go over and work from approx April to Nov/Dec on a H2A temp work visa as many times as you want.
I think after 4/5 seasons you can get a H2B visa which lets you live in the States perm AFAIA.
Would that be the same for someone who had spent 2 years in Canada and had got there PR?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:08 am
Just Joined

That sounds ideal. Many Thanks BT. I shall look into it
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by grant r
Would that be the same for someone who had spent 2 years in Canada and had got there PR?
Sorry,
I'm not sure how it would work from the Canadian angle.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

That sounds ideal. Many Thanks BT. I shall look into it
There is also some kind of visa available were you can literally "buy" your way into the USA, but it involves having sufficient funds to start up in business over there.
I don't think you need a clean fortune maybe something around the $20k mark and its quite easy to become an O/O (Owner Operator) truck driver overthere,
it would be dam hard work BUT not impossible.

There was a thread on another Trucker ex pats forum a couple of years ago from a Florida O/O originally from the UK who had gone out this way and was doing quite well so it seemed on reading his posts.

Did some digging and google "British Truckers Abroad" and look on "Living and working in USA" forum and a "new member" post by "PeterBergen".

Last edited by Big Truck; Jun 2nd 2013 at 1:48 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that BT, looked at that Demeray Harvesting and it looks quite promising. I know it may involve long stretches on the road but if its a means to an end i'll give it a go.
He who dares!!! Lol
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can use the H2A temp work visa as a "Farm work" visa rather than the "harvest work" visa and try to source temp employment on a large scale farm in Arizona and that way you'd be in the one place from approx April to Nov.
(There are thousands of Mexican farm workers who do this every year on the produce/dairy farms in California and many other States)

You could then tag a H1A 3month "Vacation visa" on the end of the H2A visa and get nearly the full year there each time!!!!

Last edited by Big Truck; Jun 3rd 2013 at 1:56 pm.