Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Company-Paid/Provided Training

Company-Paid/Provided Training

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Company-Paid/Provided Training

Folks
Does anyone know of Canadian trucking companies that will train from scratch - or pay for the new-hire's HGV training, on the basis he stays with that company for 'x' months?

It seems to be common in the USA (CR England, Schneider etc) but I can't find Canuck trucking companies doing the same.

I have Canadian PR, a 10 year B1/B2 visa for the USA, a Mexican passport and I'm fluent in Spanish...just lacking the commercial license.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Company-Paid/Provided Training

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Folks
Does anyone know of Canadian trucking companies that will train from scratch - or pay for the new-hire's HGV training, on the basis he stays with that company for 'x' months?

It seems to be common in the USA (CR England, Schneider etc) but I can't find Canuck trucking companies doing the same.

I have Canadian PR, a 10 year B1/B2 visa for the USA, a Mexican passport and I'm fluent in Spanish...just lacking the commercial license.
Manitoba has a program up and running to get new blood into trucking

Are You Interested in Becoming a Professional Truck Driver?
Then you may be interested in the MPI Entry Level Professional Truck Driver Training Program! Eligible participants will receive 100% funding of their tuition to a participating Class 1 driver training school. For more information, please contact Danielle at the MTA office. You can reach Danielle by phone (204-632-6600 or 1-866-820-1317) or by email: [email protected]. Call TODAY for more information!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Manitoba has a program up and running to get new blood into trucking <snip>
Thanks for the link. It is interesting, though not without several hoops that must be jumped through. These include, amongst other things:
1. Must be a resident of Manitoba
2. Must be pre-approved by Employment Manitoba
3. Must already be in employment with an approved trucking company and must sign a contract to stay with them for 2 years after completion of training.

Still, might be worth further investigation.

Anyone else know of companies - Maritimes preferably - that do their own 'in-house' training a la Schneider/CR England?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Why not just pay for you're own training then claim it back in taxes at the end of the year ?

Then you're not tied to any company and work where you like , Even short haul as you have PR .
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kb33
Why not just pay for you're own training then claim it back in taxes at the end of the year ?
'Cos the only deal I can find in NS that offers an internship (required to get around the '2 years experience required') is the Commercial Safety College - costs C$9600, which I don't have - and they cannot guarantee employment after graduation.

I guess I could borrow, but I'd rather (at this point) hock myself into working for a company for 'x' months on the basis they paid for training.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Its never a good idea to "lock" yourself into a company , Ask the thousands that came over on the Alberta PNP and worked as a temporary worker until they had PR . A lot went back home broke and destitute because they couldn't work with the draconian ways of the company i.e. Hanging around for days on end as a unpaid baby sitter whilst waiting for a load. Not to mention waiting all day for a load then be expected to run all night to make up for lost time , Working like this , the company as a " hold on you " and they know it and use it to their advantage.

Personally I would avoid this at all costs even go as far to say avoid the industry as well if you can .
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kb33
Personally I would avoid this at all costs even go as far to say avoid the industry as well if you can .
Thanks for the advice - seems a lot of folk on various trucking-related fora say pretty much the same thing.

Although I would never expect to make a fortune, I am looking for something I can get into quickly, work at for 5 years or so and build a retirement fund...which wouldn't have to be that large, given I'm 49 and single.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:15 am
Just Joined

cukks is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to interupt are you saying the TRUCKING industry is that bad over in canada.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nope ..

But for someone without experience and a class one licence , being tied to one company will almost certainly end in tears .
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link. It is interesting, though not without several hoops that must be jumped through. These include, amongst other things:
1. Must be a resident of Manitoba
2. Must be pre-approved by Employment Manitoba
3. Must already be in employment with an approved trucking company and must sign a contract to stay with them for 2 years after completion of training.

Still, might be worth further investigation.

Anyone else know of companies - Maritimes preferably - that do their own 'in-house' training a la Schneider/CR England?
May be get out of the Maritimes, the trucking industry over there is pretty dead.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Gremmie
May be get out of the Maritimes, the trucking industry over there is pretty dead.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Folks

Try Bulk Carriers on PEI.
They even pay you while you train. I did mine there, you only pay for the tests