Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Car Hire and local weather pls

Car Hire and local weather pls

Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

scooby109 will become famous soon enoughscooby109 will become famous soon enough
Default Car Hire and local weather pls

Hi Guys and Gals

Arriving in Calgary morrow afternoon at 16.00... Do i hire a car for £250.00CSD ,Pontiac G6, Chrysler PT Cruizer or similar, for the week or pay westjet $500.00 csd for a return flight!!!!!!! Ok I know the flights are a rip off!!! Oh BTW whats the best sort car to rent for this time of year??

Does anyone have an idea of the predicted road conditions between Calgary and Saskatoon for morrow late afternoon/evening.. no point in spoiling the trip by getting stuck on the road is there... Weather forecast for Sas is light flurries.

Anyway you lot know what I am asking so

Staying in Sas till monday pm, then its back to Alberta for me for more interviews etc etc

Scooby
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Hire and local weather pls

No idea bout the car etc but good luck in Canada Scooby.

Have fun!!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by farjojo71
No idea bout the car etc but good luck in Canada Scooby.

Have fun!!
book car hire through uk website then it should be cheaper. as for type of car depends how competent u are on the slick stuff but remember if there is moisture on the road it will be ice but when i was out there most of the roads where clear.
and good luck with all ur interviews
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

scooby109 will become famous soon enoughscooby109 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spockil
book car hire through uk website then it should be cheaper. as for type of car depends how competent u are on the slick stuff but remember if there is moisture on the road it will be ice but when i was out there most of the roads where clear.
and good luck with all ur interviews
thanks you 2

Not afraid of the black slippery stuff, more concerned about potential bad weather, apparently it's a 7 hour drive on single track roads or at least that the directions I have... via drumheller that is
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scooby109
thanks you 2

Not afraid of the black slippery stuff, more concerned about potential bad weather, apparently it's a 7 hour drive on single track roads or at least that the directions I have... via drumheller that is
what they class as single track road is like a single carriageway but it has big medians on both sides and sometimes in middle normal speed about 60 mph or 100 kph if you imagine the a 9 to inverness where it is single carriageway but it will be alot more straight ul be glad to get a curve for some excitment.
just keep an eye on the wether channel and the likes. and watch for the idiots flying past when its a white out!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spockil
what they class as single track road is like a single carriageway but it has big medians on both sides and sometimes in middle normal speed about 60 mph or 100 kph if you imagine the a 9 to inverness where it is single carriageway but it will be alot more straight ul be glad to get a curve for some excitment.
just keep an eye on the wether channel and the likes. and watch for the idiots flying past when its a white out!

If it ends up in a white out, I am gonna park up and wait for the mounties lol lol I need to be in sas by lunchtime fri so no way am i rushing the journey, nice and easy..

oh bugger did you have to remind me of the A9!!! lol lol cheers spokil

Damn shame I have to drive that way in the dark.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

If it ends up in a white out, I am gonna park up and wait for the mounties lol lol I need to be in sas by lunchtime fri so no way am i rushing the journey, nice and easy..

oh bugger did you have to remind me of the A9!!! lol lol cheers spokil

Damn shame I have to drive that way in the dark.
ps aint decided on taking the lappy yet, might be easier to just pay the cafes a couple of bucks... but keep looking I may just start a blog of the trip tee hee
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Hi Guys and Gals

Arriving in Calgary morrow afternoon at 16.00... Do i hire a car for £250.00CSD ,Pontiac G6, Chrysler PT Cruizer or similar, for the week or pay westjet $500.00 csd for a return flight!!!!!!! Ok I know the flights are a rip off!!! Oh BTW whats the best sort car to rent for this time of year??

Does anyone have an idea of the predicted road conditions between Calgary and Saskatoon for morrow late afternoon/evening.. no point in spoiling the trip by getting stuck on the road is there... Weather forecast for Sas is light flurries.

Staying in Sas till monday pm, then its back to Alberta for me for more interviews etc etc

Scooby
Weather for Thursday -6°C | -17°C

Now I would only book a car if they throw in

1x Electric blanket to keep my ass warm
Ugg Boots
Gloves
Scarf
Thermo underware

and a bottle of Scotch to warm up the belly.

as max of -6°C | and min of -17°C is not what I call warm enough without the above

Fridays warmer.....-11°C | -22°C
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:47 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

thanks you 2

Watch out for dinosaurs!!!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

sorry to give you some bad news but the weather here in Saskatoon is getting worse for tommorrow they say -15 fog freezing rain and snow have fun on the roads.
Hi Guys and Gals

Scooby
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

The A9 isnt a very good comparison? I know the Highway from Calgary to med hat and I would have described it more like the A1 but straighter with no bends , less hills if any and every one has stopped driving for the day!
7hrs to Sas?
Dont quote me but I and sure that the Ramada etc motels/hotels have free internet (so long as it is not over 18 stuff!)
The main things are keep safe and take it easy! All the best in the interviews and if you cant tell us how its going out there then dont worry but give us full report once your back!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:29 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

The super 8 on circle drive in Saskatoon used to have free internet.
They also used to have special rates for Kindersley people. Maybe if you say you're in town for Kindersley, you might get them. That's a maybe
It's also only a 3 or 4 minute drive from there to Wentz ave and there's a subway on the next block, a chinese buffet kinda place next door and a couple of decent bars not too far away. (David's lizard lounge on circle drive and the fox & hounds? on warman rd).
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm Subway Hmmmmm
Hmmm bars Hmmmmm
Hmmmm Strip joints Hmmmm! Ops you didnt mention that did you . . . . .
Aw well Hmmmmm Strip joints Hmmmmm
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

chinnese buffet in saskatoon was very good,dont know about the booze though,was used as a taxi truck by senior drivers when wkened before xmas.
lol,james
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Why fly to calgary you fly over Sas toon ask the pilot if he,ll just drop you off

Re- hotels allways say you are a truck driver, and 9 times out of 10 you,ll get the cheaper rate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.