Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

AYR Motors long haul drivers

AYR Motors long haul drivers

Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AYR Motors long haul drivers

Hi Dave F,
Sorry mate. Showing 13 LOGGED hours for 5 days on the trot is not my cup of tea, you know as well as I do you're going to do more than that to keep the mileage up.
If you can do it I take my hat off to you. Cos I would fall asleep. I like to try & enjoy my job & life.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobthedog
Nope, sorry but I don't buy it. No matter what you say, there is no way any firm can justify renting professional drivers at pennies per mile for up to 3 months. 4000 miles every week is 16000 a month and that, with a truck restricted to 65mph, is not legally possible. Also, 16000 miles a month takes some sticking.
Maybe they are good on dispatching, but others say very different to you on that score. Others do not seem convinced at all. Bonus is generally a bogus thing, and safety bonus' tend to be a very hit and miss thing. We get a mileage bonus which gives us 3cpm for every mile driven providing we get over 13k a month which is easy going. Medical benefits are something else that are generally provided by the firms, as is vacation pay. Nothing you have said about is, in any way, off the standard provisions.
In fact, the only things which are not reasonably standard are 14cpm for a training period of up to 3 months. That is a long way from standard..
Exactly what BTD says. I could not say it any better than that.
There is absolutely no way to justify that training program and after that it is just standard stuff except everywhere else a driver can expect a designated tractor of his own.
Sorry but you just sound like a greedy company and if you were based in Manitoba there is no way you could recruit any drivers whatsoever regardless of their nationality.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am truly amazed that justifying company mistreatment of professional company truck drivers is that they may not be there for more than 3 months or simply want a 3 months free holiday.

There is more to this than i have put in this post much more.and maybe the correct way to follow on from this is to seek legal advice and pursue this through the legal system in Canada.

just because we are long haul drivers does not make us exempt from the human rights act and surly we should be treated equally to our Canadian workers.

this form of oppressive working practice is surly not dissimilar to modern slavery and if the Canadian government finds this is acceptable Canada is just pursuing a slave trade to make the long haul trucking industry "work on the cheap"

if you work 29 hours in a day cab [ none stop ] doing city work and then returning to base then have to go out doing long haul "team work" is this form of working practice acceptable?...according to the owner YES it is acceptable just for the immigrant workers.

Truck drivers are in a vulnerable position and abusing immigrant truck drivers that wish to live their at no cost to AYR Motors.

Drivers pay all there costs and it costs AYR Motors Zero $$$
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I am just stupefied at the comments some make on here regarding interviews and chats some have had with this or that employer. How nieve are some people when they say so &so seemed honest and friendly at the interview or when i chatted with him. GROW UP people, every one is nice and chummy so long as they need you.

Back to topic just one question do the Canadain drivers have to go through the in house training procces on the crappy wages aswell ???
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I am just stupefied at the comments some make on here regarding interviews and chats some have had with this or that employer. How nieve are some people when they say so &so seemed honest and friendly at the interview or when i chatted with him. GROW UP people, every one is nice and chummy so long as they need you.

Back to topic just one question do the Canadain drivers have to go through the in house training procces on the crappy wages aswell ???
I hope you are including your mate Lyndon amongst the dishonest recruiters, seeing as he is in the UK right now, or will he tell people that they have as much chance of layover pay as a snowball staying frozen in hell.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
I hope you are including your mate Lyndon amongst the dishonest recruiters, seeing as he is in the UK right now, or will he tell people that they have as much chance of layover pay as a snowball staying frozen in hell.
Again you seem unable to grasp the point being made, and no where did i mention dishonest recruiters.
My point was that just about every one mentions how nice and chummy the employers are at the interview stage, even Big Twat said some recruier he met 50 years ago in NI was nice.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Again you seem unable to grasp the point being made, and no where did i mention dishonest recruiters.
My point was that just about every one mentions how nice and chummy the employers are at the interview stage, even Big Twat said some recruier he met 50 years ago in NI was nice.
"...seemed honest and friendly"

Implying that they aren't honest and friendly?

I was asking a question about your statement.

Lyndon never lied to me, I was interviewed by Steve Whittaker, who didn't lie either (except by omission).
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mickfly
"...seemed honest and friendly"

Implying that they aren't honest and friendly?

I was asking a question about your statement.

Lyndon never lied to me, I was interviewed by Steve Whittaker, who didn't lie either (except by omission).
Its called " Being economic with the truth "
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

But, Gremmie, was anyone economic with the truth when you sought work here? I don't think it was an issue for me. I asked the questions and received the answers which were all true enough.

Something seems wrong with the company in this thread (not H&R, although you had to sneak it in, Mick, but even they offer mileage rates you couldn't question..).

From my understanding, Canadian drivers need 2 years experience to avoid the training. What this implies is that all those years we spent travelling through Europe count for nothing in their eyes, although it is the very fact that we have that amount of experience which the CIC want to import.. Seems odd to me.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:07 pm
Banned

jules007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AYR Motors long haul drivers

Originally Posted by hughes3005
1.im not working for an agency
2.i dont suck up to weak bully boys that think mummy's shoes should be worn behind closed doors.
3.i am not a Russian, coming from poverty.
4.these Canadians couldn't do my job in the UK, that's why i come here for the easy life of driving a truck in Canada and US.
5.The company has not got what it takes to keep the drivers going,they should try thumbing a lift from passing trade.the boss is not man enough for looking after is drivers.he hides behind is office trying to be the next "Irving of New Brunswick"
6.I see the funny side of your post!!
Alright Mate

Ha Ha. Number 4 is spot on! Couldnt have put it better myself.
Spot on!!!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

BTD:
The way Steve (taff_trucker) & I had it explained to us when we went to see them was that it is for as long as they see as necessary until you are deemed upto their standards. Now we were told thats a mimimum of 2 weeks, however they will give you free accomodation for upto 3 months. This is a house Ayr own in Woodstock, now I daresay said house can be relatively empty or full. The drivers in it change virtually daily. Ever tried finding a rental in Woodstock? Don't bother. Fredericton would seem to be the closest. Even though we were both on PEI we were required to move over to Woodstock, we could not live on the island (bout a 4 hr drive in a car). Ayr's philosophy is to run a truck 24/7 if at all possible, no truck stands idle for long, another driver is installed & off he/she goes. This is company policy. Hence the need for slip seat drivers, to go on what they call the spare driver board. We were asked about team driving, but this was optional & not a necessity.
The contract they ask you to sign does specify they can have you training for 12 weeks totally at their discretion. Cargomatic put in some hard time when he first went there, you only have to read his blog. I think it took him 6 months to get his own truck. Thats along time on the spare board. Even then another driver gets in it when he has time off, now he has his own truck. I noticed a number of Eastern Europeans there when I went, all drivers.

Its upto the inividual if they are prepared to meet these demands.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jules007
Alright Mate

Ha Ha. Number 4 is spot on! Couldnt have put it better myself.
Spot on!!!
Why do you imagine that a Canadian wouldn't be capable of driving a truck in the UK?
Anyone who was under the illusion that moving their career to Canada would enable them to have an easier time would almost certainly be doomed to failure before they even got off the aeroplane although have long thought that some of the guys come over here with that actual misconception.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wire
Why do you imagine that a Canadian wouldn't be capable of driving a truck in the UK?
Anyone who was under the illusion that moving their career to Canada would enable them to have an easier time would almost certainly be doomed to failure before they even got off the aeroplane although have long thought that some of the guys come over here with that actual misconception.
I just think that a vast majority of the Britts that do come over are a bunch of lily livered pansies
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wire

Actually a few Canadians told me that they wouldn't be able to do what we Brits do ie Go to a foreign country drive on the wrong side of the road, learn all the different rules and regs etc etc

And lets face it driving over here is far easier than driving in the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Not really easier, but less pressured as a rule. That is only down to overall population density. The challenges here are more real. In truth, the only real challenge in the UK is traffic and most can handle that.
Agreed, most Canadians say that, but they would cope the same as we all did. I would never presume that the drivers here couldn`t handle driving there, although I doubt they would enjoy it any more than I did.
So number 4 on the list seems to be somewhat bigotted and distinctly unfair. In fact, it is borderline supremacist.

Gremmie, I don`t think it is the majority, but certainly there are enough without the wish to stretch themselves further. Lily livered pansies seems a little strong, though..

Alan, maybe so, but the bottom line would still seem to be that the company do not consider drivers from outside Canada to be up to the level required which we all know is not the case. It seems they do not accept that we are free thinking or capable so they give you a roof over your head, pay you like a Georgian on Betzs and watch you like a hawk. It seems wrong to me. Maybe I just think I am better than that.. no, I know I am better than that. That said, it is all down to what you sign up for. I wouldn`t have accepted those conditions personally. Most people I know wouldn`t have, either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.