Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Alberta vs Saskatchewan vs Manitoba

Alberta vs Saskatchewan vs Manitoba

Old Apr 10th 2017, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta vs Saskatchewan vs Manitoba

last year ,he not long ago posted about receiving his PR this year.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

nofrills is an unknown quantity at this point

In my last post that should have been "ie. truck driver" instead of "I'd try k driver". My tablet's auto correct playing tricks again.

Don't get me wrong, I would happily be doing long haul for as long as I would be required by the terms of my employment contract and terms of my TWP and PNP, it would actualy be fun to see Canada and the US, but it would be nice to have an option that if I git tired of it all I could just switch to other types if trucking jobs, that's why when you, James, said your mate got an open work permit from MB to work as a truck driver, and not limited to working as long haul truck driver, that got me interested.

What I want to avoid is all these horror stories you read on here, about truck drivers moving to Canada and being mistreated by modern day slave owners, because they think you have no options for 3 - 4 years but to stick with them and let them use you and abuse you anyway they want.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

yup first run was to LA (was team) down to texas and back then ..out west over the COQ then onto the island then down and back .Saw what I wanted to down south mainly centre then west and north Canada for the rest o my time (had a 2yr TWP) and I gave them 30months before changing jobs. Spoke to my mate who got the open permit tonight and he will join in asap. I was lucky I had a good company BUT I know o folk that were royally screwed by companies so do your homework if you have always ran van in the uk I would suggest not going flatdecking...same your experience d in flats don't go fridge work ..what I mean is "its hard enough to move over with all that brings without doing something you know F all about" don't fight to do things your way DO it the Canadian way ,,,,,I think we all tried it our way BUT as I was told "youre not in Kansas any more james".
Old Apr 12th 2017, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

That's it, James, I'm not going to be rushing into it, I'll be taking my time doing as much research as I possibly can, so I don't become another victim.
The whole system is poorly constructed, it would have been much better if provinces in need of long haul truck drivers were issuing TWPs to drivers from overseas meeting set criterias, and then every driver who got such TWP would have, say, a month or a couple of months to come over, find himself an employer and do his time till he got his PR, and also would have an option of changing employer if things went wrong.
This way they would be rewarding good companies, offering best conditions, treating drivers like human beings instead of allowing these bottom feeders to do what they want for 3 - 4 years as it is now.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Nofrills,

The story about the open work permit is a one off, it's an exception, he says the MPNP were unhappy with the situation so there is nothing stopping them bending the rules in an exceptional case and I have heard of other unusual stories including one guy who got PR before he even came to Canada. Do not base things on exceptions, Base them on how things are supposed to operate and how they operate for 99% of people.

It's been said, you will get a closed work permit for one company, if it goes south then you have to find another company capable of getting an lmia for you, you cannot just walk into another company.

As for the long haul trucker category, my permit is for truck driver, it doesn't specify long haul, most provinces do and you have to cross international or provincial boundaries regularly to qualify, I think MB doesn't specify it. Companies won't be getting lmias to employ someone as a regional driver though so you're initial job will be long haul.

The way it is as the moment you'll be lucky to find more than 2 companies who can get you an lmia anyway so your choices are barely choices anyway.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Mule deer is an unknown quantity at this point

did you make the trip out
Old Apr 29th 2017, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks people, for replying

I've been thinking about it all, and still have a few questions, this time to people that are familiar with the system in Alberta.

Can I, truck driver in Alberta, collect all the documents by myself and apply by myself to PNP, and then for PR, or does the company that got me my LMIA and employs me, need to do it all?

What I’m trying to say here, is that it is in the interest of the company to keep delaying applying to PNP and messing with me, blaming lengthy procedures and all that, as the longer it all takes, the longer I will have to stay with them, and they know that as soon as I get my PR, I will be gone.
The company thinks, the driver is gone for weeks, or months, he is too stupid, doesn't know the system, so he can be told anything when he keeps questioning why it all takes so long, or as a punishment we'll keep him waiting for days in a truck stop in the middle of nowhere if he starts asking too many questions.

What documents do I need to get from the employer in order to apply to PNP and then PR if I was allowed to do it by myself?

How do you get onto APNP express entry, and can a truck driver be considered?

Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2017, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Mule deer is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Kiowan;12228186]Nofrills,

The story about the open work permit is a one off, it's an exception, he says the MPNP were unhappy with the situation so there is nothing stopping them bending the rules in an exceptional case and I have heard of other unusual stories including one guy who got PR before he even came to Canada. Do not base things on exceptions, Base them on how things are supposed to operate and how they operate for 99% of people.

It's been said, you will get a closed work permit for one company, if it goes south then you have to find another company capable of getting an lmia for you, you cannot just walk into another company.

As for the long haul trucker category, my permit is for truck driver, it doesn't specify long haul, most provinces do and you have to cross international or provincial boundaries regularly to qualify, I think MB doesn't specify it. Companies won't be getting lmias to employ someone as a regional driver though so you're initial job will be long haul.

The way it is as the moment you'll be lucky to find more than 2 companies who can get you an lmia anyway so your choices are barely choices anyway.[/QUOTE

This might change in the near future once the oil industry picks up now trump is in charge in the USA they need cheap oil and Canada has lots in Northern Alberta which can be piped to the USA Texas and west coast trucking companies will be back recruiting again
Old Apr 29th 2017, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nofrills
Thanks people, for replying

I've been thinking about it all, and still have a few questions, this time to people that are familiar with the system in Alberta.

Can I, truck driver in Alberta, collect all the documents by myself and apply by myself to PNP, and then for PR, or does the company that got me my LMIA and employs me, need to do it all?

What I’m trying to say here, is that it is in the interest of the company to keep delaying applying to PNP and messing with me, blaming lengthy procedures and all that, as the longer it all takes, the longer I will have to stay with them, and they know that as soon as I get my PR, I will be gone.
The company thinks, the driver is gone for weeks, or months, he is too stupid, doesn't know the system, so he can be told anything when he keeps questioning why it all takes so long, or as a punishment we'll keep him waiting for days in a truck stop in the middle of nowhere if he starts asking too many questions.

What documents do I need to get from the employer in order to apply to PNP and then PR if I was allowed to do it by myself?

How do you get onto APNP express entry, and can a truck driver be considered?

Thanks
Yep, you're sponsored by Employer, or not depending if they like you or not.
And, iirc, if you change company for any reason after your PR paperwork is in, it gets cancelled and you have to start fresh again.
Forget AB for now & I haven't heard or been told or read of any companies in AB with LMIA's for about 18mths.
Old May 1st 2017, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Yes, it looks like Alberta might not be the best choice, then.
Some long haul trucking companies, or actually most of them offer dental, health benefits.
What are these all about?
I thought health care is same as in the UK, free, so why would they be mentioning additional health benefits?
Do you get paid when you get sick and need to take time off?
Old May 1st 2017, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

hell no. With ,no health benefits ,you pay for prescriptions full price same as dentists $800 for 2 fillings plus the chemists charge $8 (mb) for issuing prescriptions an ambulance is $100. A lot off trucking companies health plans are 80% (you pay 20% ) you claim back at tax time for medical costs but you never get the full amount back. also you will pay a copay off your wages say $75 each pay towards your health plan. The readymix company I was with was $0 copay and 100% coverage (apart from getting teeth cleaned at dentists).
eye glasses are usually $200 every 2year towards replacement ,,getting your eyes tested it costs you. NOW long haul companies that run into the states imo you must check you are covered from the word go in the USA ,, most companies say full coverage after 90days. Sick pay lol,,(truckdriving) BUT if you injure yourself at work WCB ,(workers compensation board) will pay you90% of average wage + all medical expenses. A lot of trucking companies (local) will have no health plan.
Old May 1st 2017, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

kids are treated a little different,. Say you have a condition that needs a treatment that costs $1000s the province and in my case the makers company make it possible for me to afford it (pharmacare) in my case when my top line is taken into account . going to a doctor is free ,same as going to a hospital emergency room. kept in hospital etc. .. this is my experience in MB others may vary.
Old May 2nd 2017, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Blimey, I had never thought about it much before, always assumed it was the same as in Blighty.
So, trucking companies usualy cover 80% of you health care and you the rest.
So, if say, you get cancer and operation and chemo, expensive aftercare, your health insurance pays 80% of the cost and you, yourself 20%.
So, what's the diffrence between Canadian and US health care, as they both look to me the same?
Are there any trucking companies that pay, or should I say, their health insurance pay 100% of all costs, when you become ill?
That 75 dollars payment, is it per week or per month?
Thanks
Old May 2nd 2017, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

in canada healthcare is free for everyone ,but you pay for dental ,glasses ,prescriptions (that's what you pay a healthplan for at work to cover this)...In the usa you pay for the lot. that is why its important to make sure you are covered by a plan before leaving Canada. No the 80/20 is to pay for dental etc . Most companies OTR pay fortnightly apart from a couple I can think of.and yes the $75 is per pay (this is what I used to pay some might be more some less). EG I have a medical problem that costs 1-2$K a month and the province and the drug maker pay this as I am not earning enough(based on previous years taxes) any presciptions involved in the problem are covered ......BUT if I need glasses ,dentist etc I'm on the line for this. I was on a 100% plan at last job before they sold the artics and I went with my truck and my company now pays a 1$ more per hr but I have no plan for dental etc. This is my look on things there are many more learned people on this forum and I hope they will point out anything I have wrong. jimmy.

Last edited by jamesmc; May 2nd 2017 at 8:43 pm.
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for clarifying that James.
So, basically, you are fully covered health wise by the government except eye glasses and a dentist, and that's what that 80/20 health cover is for.
If you need to pay $75 per fortnight, multiplied by 2, that gives you roughly $150 per month towards your healthcare and and the company pays remaining 80%, that means they have to pay $600 per m0nth for your health cover, and that's only for your eye glasses and dental care.
So, $150 x 12 = $1800 driver pays on yearly basis
$600 x 12 = $7200 company pays.

Sounds a little expensive only for eye glasses and dental care on yearly basis,
I suspect you only get about 20 - 30% back from your taxes at the end of the financial year.

Sounds like it's not a good idea to be getting health problems in Canada, as you don't get paid when off sick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.