British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Alberta vs Saskatchewan vs Manitoba (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/alberta-vs-saskatchewan-vs-manitoba-894830/)

nofrills Apr 2nd 2017 10:44 am

Alberta vs Saskatchewan vs Manitoba

Hi Chaps

Would you be willing to list advantages and disadvantages of emigrating to these provinces as a long haul truck driver, please?

Lets just assume, a long haul truck driver could get a LMIA from each of these provinces and all these job offers were from the same quality trucking companies, why would it be better to take up the offer from one province over the other?

Is it still difficult to get a PR in Alberta as it used to be or have things improved?

Now, another thing.
Lets just assume a truck driver moved to Canada, worked for 6 months, and then applied for a PR, and then a serious financial crisis struck, people were losing jobs, and there not enough jobs for local, Canadian people to go round.
What would happen to a foreign truck driver in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, providing he had applied for a PR after his 6 months of continuous employment for one of the trucking companies.

Thanks

neilg14 Apr 3rd 2017 12:39 am

Re: Alberta vs Saskatchewan vs Manitoba

Originally Posted by nofrills (Post 12219484)
Hi Chaps

Would you be willing to list advantages and disadvantages of emigrating to these provinces as a long haul truck driver, please?

Lets just assume, a long haul truck driver could get a LMIA from each of these provinces and all these job offers were from the same quality trucking companies, why would it be better to take up the offer from one province over the other?

Is it still difficult to get a PR in Alberta as it used to be or have things improved?

Now, another thing.
Lets just assume a truck driver moved to Canada, worked for 6 months, and then applied for a PR, and then a serious financial crisis struck, people were losing jobs, and there not enough jobs for local, Canadian people to go round.
What would happen to a foreign truck driver in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, providing he had applied for a PR after his 6 months of continuous employment for one of the trucking companies.

Thanks

Can only answer for AB, advantages= earn more, disadvantages= pay out more.

Personally I couldn't live in SK or MB so only AB for me.

PR is more difficult to get in AB than SK or MB.

AFAIK the TFW's are the first to be let go, then you're on your way back.

nofrills Apr 3rd 2017 6:20 am

Hi Neil

Thanks for replying.

Why are you saying you couldn't live in SK or MB, after all for the first 2.5 - 3 years you could be living in your truck, until you gain your PR, so it doesn't really matter where you live, and you can move anywhere you want, am I right on this one?

Why is everyone saying getting PR is more difficult in Alberta, is it because it takes longer, you need to provide more documents, requirements are more stringent, or maybe there is some points system?

You said TFWs are the first to go, I've always thought, that once you have completed your 6 months working for someone, then you applied for your PR, then you are somehow protected against being thrown out of the country.

Once you apply for your PR, do you receive some kind of letter stating your application has been accepted, you have provided all necessary documents, and now it is only a matter of waiting till you get your PR.
Am I right on this one?

Thanks

jamesmc Apr 3rd 2017 4:19 pm

yes in MB once you get nominated by MBPNP you can get an open work permit (Kenny please join in) but you have to work for a MB based company in the same line of work .ie truckdriver (the Kenny mentioned was with H&R on a mb contract TWP but after differences and nominated by MBPNP was given a open work permit and now with a MB based company).

IN MB,SK the process of getting PR its up to you ,once you get the letter from the company after 6 months ,the company has no say ...but in AB the company has you by the nuts until you get PR ,you might be the best person in the world but if the company doesn't like you it can screw with your PR(from information from different folks).
only speak for MB ...get LMIA ,TWP .do 6months get letter put in express entry get nomination from MBPNP .send it all away again to the federal gov on EE ,medical..then a few months after medical bobs your fathers brother....send a message to " slippy"he just completed the journey

neilg14 Apr 4th 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by nofrills (Post 12219964)
Hi Neil

Thanks for replying.

Why are you saying you couldn't live in SK or MB, after all for the first 2.5 - 3 years you could be living in your truck, until you gain your PR, so it doesn't really matter where you live, and you can move anywhere you want, am I right on this one?

Why is everyone saying getting PR is more difficult in Alberta, is it because it takes longer, you need to provide more documents, requirements are more stringent, or maybe there is some points system?

You said TFWs are the first to go, I've always thought, that once you have completed your 6 months working for someone, then you applied for your PR, then you are somehow protected against being thrown out of the country.

Once you apply for your PR, do you receive some kind of letter stating your application has been accepted, you have provided all necessary documents, and now it is only a matter of waiting till you get your PR.
Am I right on this one?

Thanks

What James said. 👍

Kiowan Apr 4th 2017 5:43 pm

I'd slightly change some of what's been said, if working in a province on a TWP with LMIA and you gain PNP you will be given a work permit matching the conditions of your original one until you get PR, so for someone on an LMIA that means any future work permits will be tied to the job role and the company, it's possible in exceptional circumstances people do get open work permits after PNP but not the norm.

Secondly the problem with AB is more around PNP, in Alberta the company has to file or support your application so if they don't want to there is nothing you can do about it, SK and MB it's down to you so no company can screw you over on it. However, if you lose your job after gaining nomination in any of the provinces then your PR application won't go through so they do still have you over a barrel in that regard but at least you can get the process underway. PR itself is handed on a federal level, not provincial so I'm not sure why PR would take longer in Alberta than anywhere else, it's PNP that could take longer, which you need first.

As for comparing provinces on which is best, it's all subjective, kinda depends on what YOU value and what YOU think is important. So if you had specific criteria it'd yield better answers as one man will love living in AB and the other will love MB. Bear in mind that the system is designed to fill local labour shortages so while you can move as soon as you have PR technically you should really go to the province you want to be in as you are going to be there for several years anyway so why uproot again just because one province had a slightly faster system.

If you hate pot holes don't move to Winnipeg.

nofrills Apr 9th 2017 2:02 pm

Sorry Chaps, I couldn't reply earlier as was unexpectedly nighting out and could not reply with my small smartphone

Interesting post there Kiowan

"I'd slightly change some of what's been said, if working in a province on a TWP with LMIA and you gain PNP you will be given a work permit matching the conditions of your original one until you get PR, so for someone on an LMIA that means any future work permits will be tied to the job role and the company, it's possible in exceptional circumstances people do get open work permits after PNP but not the norm."

so, if I understood this correctly, even if I was to get a job offer from a company in MB or SK, I would still be tied to that company, until I got my PR.
I read in the past that if things went wrong with the company that got you LMIA and brought you to MB or SK to work for them, you could change your employer, providing you were still going work as a long haul truck driver in that province.
Maybe it was after you applied for your PR and got accepted onto the program, after completing 6 months with the employer that brought you there.

Am I right on this?

"Secondly the problem with AB is more around PNP, in Alberta the company has to file or support your application so if they don't want to there is nothing you can do about it, SK and MB it's down to you so no company can screw you over on it. However, if you lose your job after gaining nomination in any of the provinces then your PR application won't go through so they do still have you over a barrel in that regard but at least you can get the process underway. PR itself is handed on a federal level, not provincial so I'm not sure why PR would take longer in Alberta than anywhere else, it's PNP that could take longer, which you need first. "

so, the only difference between AB, SK and MB is that in AB it is down to your employer to file an application for your PR, and in SK and MB you, the driver, do it by yourself, am I right?

I've always thought the main advantage of going to MB and SK over AB was that you could change your employer if things were different to what you were promised before you came there and that in case of SK and MB you the driver was applying for your PR, and in AB it was your employer.

I've recently heard it takes about 8 - 9 months in AB, to get accepted onto a PR process from the time you apply for it after your 6 months working for a given employer.

Is this the case? and how long it takes to be accepted in SK and MB?

Thanks

Kiowan Apr 10th 2017 3:15 am

No, you cannot just change your employer anywhere in Canada without an open work permit and/or PR. In MB and SK when you come over you will be coming to fill a job opening with a company that has proven to the government by jumping through multiple hoops that it can't employ a Canadian to the job. So to put that as an example, it could be Jimbo's wild potato hauling in the northern wilderness of Manitoba, he's proven to the government there's no one around to do it and there's you from the UK chomping at the bit to come over and do the job. You cannot come over, do it for 6months, apply for the PNP, get nominated by PNP and then hand in your notice to Jimbo, move to Winnipeg and take a job with Fedex or whoever you want because you are still only there on a temporary work permit and for the specific reason of filling an identified labour shortage, it's not a province wide industry shortage allowing you to work for anyone.

I can only comment on how long it took me to get Manitoba PNP nomination from application and it was about 6 or 7 months. Once you have nomination you can apply to the Federal government (CIC) for PR. Don't get the two confused. PNP is a provincial process with the provincial government and that's what differs from AB to SK/MB. PR is what comes after gaining PNP nomination and that is entirely down to you regardless of where you live and administered by a centralised nation process, current estimates on PR process are 16 months.

nofrills Apr 10th 2017 9:06 am

A very informative post again Kiowan

I might be a bit thick , but would need to ask you a couple of questions about your last reply, to make sure I understood them correctly.

So, those that get job offers from SK or MB employers , in trucking, based on LMIA, do not get open work permits, but some type of closed ones, attached to only one employer, and if things go wrong, they need to leave the country,am I right?

If they do leave the country because the employer didn't keep his promisses, what are the options for such a driver if he wants to try again, in the same province or an other one?

How about if you were in MB or SK, you were treated badly as it is often the case with many companies importing labour from overseas, you found another, better company that was willing to get LMIA for you and you wanted to switch, what are your options then?
I'm pretty sure every driver coming over, wants to do his job, stay with one employer, until the end of the process, but as you know promisses are not being kept, drivers don't get enough miles to support themselves and their families, don't get much home time, are treated badly,etc, so sometimes there are no other options but cut your loses and move somewhere else.

I didn't quite get this bit " Don't get the two confused. PNP is a provincial process with the provincial government and that's what differs from AB to SK/MB."
What did you mean by that, what differs AB from SK/MB?
Sorry, couldn't quite understand this one.

One more thing.

So, after gaining nomination for PNP with AB, SK or MB, you can apply for PR with the Canadian government, not provincial government, am I right?
Do you also need to wait for some time before you get accepted onto the PR process as it is the case with waiting to be accepted on PNP with province you are working in, that issued your LMIA?

Thanks

nofrills Apr 10th 2017 9:09 am

If there are some things that you would not want post on the main board, feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks

christmasoompa Apr 10th 2017 10:08 am

Originally Posted by nofrills (Post 12225569)
So, those that get job offers from SK or MB employers , in trucking, based on LMIA, do not get open work permits, but some type of closed ones, attached to only one employer, and if things go wrong, they need to leave the country,am I right?

Sort of. Yes, it's a work permit tied to the employer, but you don't have to leave the country. If you lost your job, you can still stay until the end date on the work permit, you just can't work for anybody else. So essentially you'd be on visitor status until it expires unless you can find a new sponsoring employer/work permit.

If they do leave the country because the employer didn't keep his promisses, what are the options for such a driver if he wants to try again, in the same province or an other one?

Exactly the same as before, i.e. find a new job offer/sponsoring employer and try again.

How about if you were in MB or SK, you were treated badly as it is often the case with many companies importing labour from overseas, you found another, better company that was willing to get LMIA for you and you wanted to switch, what are your options then?

You can do that if you wish, you can work for anybody but would just need a new work permit to do so.

So, after gaining nomination for PNP with AB, SK or MB, you can apply for PR with the Canadian government, not provincial government, am I right?
Do you also need to wait for some time before you get accepted onto the PR process as it is the case with waiting to be accepted on PNP with province you are working in, that issued your LMIA?

PNP is a 2 stage process. Firstly, you get your nomination, which is from the provincial government, and then once you've got that, you apply under the Federal system for PR. So the two are linked, and you don't need to wait anytime after nomination to apply for PR (in fact, your nomination is only valid for 6 months, so you have to apply for PR before then, or it expires).

HTH.

jamesmc Apr 10th 2017 3:34 pm

as I said before he worked for a MB based company 2yr TWP ..he applied for MBPNP through EE .during the timeframe he had a family emergency back in the uk so with the companies permission he went back to sort it out (told them he was coming back) .he then received a message from MBPNP saying that upon checking his company had informed them that he had left the country and their employment( company tells him/them they filled his "space" with another newbie.). MBPNP tells him that he has mb nomination and told him when he comes back he can apply for an open TWP due to him holding an nomination letter from MB ( job has to be for a MB based company in the same work as before) he arrived back and received his 1 yr open TWP at the airport .

nofrills Apr 10th 2017 5:17 pm

@Christmasoompa
Thank you for clarifying that for me.

@James

Thanks James for posting.

Interesting story.
So, it seems MB provincial government is not as strict when it comes to issuing work permits then.
When you said in your first post that "in MB once you get nominated by MBPNP you can get an open work permit, but you have to work for an MB based company in the same line of work, I'd try k driver", did you mean any truck driver or it has to be a long haul truck driver?

Thanks

jamesmc Apr 10th 2017 9:20 pm

now iirc MBPNP were NOT happy at all with his first company and what they did, and as he was "lodging" at my place when on home time I was kept in the loop so to speak.. when he received his open twp he went round a few companies one was mon-frid back for weekend at home crossing into northern USA ,,,another was interprovincial, a few didn't want anything to do with him till PR ,but he went can -usa by choice. I believe all of us have had to do the distance work when we arrived (or drive for a company that runs usa) subtle difference:cool:. IWS MB is as strict as them all but has subtle diffences in its PNP scheme. I have told my friend about this post and he will join in when on home time .

christmasoompa Apr 10th 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 12225928)
as I said before he worked for a MB based company 2yr TWP ..he applied for MBPNP through EE .during the timeframe he had a family emergency back in the uk so with the companies permission he went back to sort it out (told them he was coming back) .he then received a message from MBPNP saying that upon checking his company had informed them that he had left the country and their employment( company tells him/them they filled his "space" with another newbie.). MBPNP tells him that he has mb nomination and told him when he comes back he can apply for an open TWP due to him holding an nomination letter from MB ( job has to be for a MB based company in the same work as before) he arrived back and received his 1 yr open TWP at the airport .

How long ago was this though? Given how often things change in immigration and how things have tightened up considerably in the past couple of years, if it wasn't recent then I'm not sure it's terribly relevant to the OP tbh.