Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Alberta it is ............

Alberta it is ............

Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future
Default Alberta it is ............

Well we have now decided that Alberta is the providence for us. Simon is at the stage of interviews and chatting to the staff who are interested in him and his driving experience.

He will be staying with friends for about 5 months before our children and I fly across next July. Our children will be 8, 10 and 13. Even though we have been to Canada on holiday, recce visits and on tour with the Army, I just wanted people's personal thoughts on the ares around Edmonton. Simon will be living in the Sherwood Park area until we fly out.

Also I know what the CIC says about funds but again, what would people advise on budgets etc etc. I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string but any advice would be great.

We have had the big cars, nice house, expensive all singing all dancing tv's, holidays to Florida etc etc and it has not made us happy. We want a more slower pace of live and more of the outdoor life. The kids do not do any after s hook clubs at present - they like to play out or go to the park and enjoy the freedom to be kids.

Once again, I'd be very grateful for any advice x x x
Old Jul 17th 2013, 5:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta it is ............

Can I suggest you ask these questions in the main Canada forum as they're not related to trucking?

There are several people in the Sherwood Park area that may not see a thread in the trucking forum, so hopefully it will get more response in the Canada one.

Re: budget, take what CIC say and then add some! I've never understood why they give such a low amount. This thread may be useful reading - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

Nice to hear that my children aren't the only outdoorsy ones left in the world, I was beginning to think they were from all the talk of kids being stuck to computer games etc!

HTH, good luck with it.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

what companys
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=perkinsgap;10809211]what companys[/QUO

My guess is Westcan
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Gremmie - You are a mind reader.

It is Westcan. We've had a few replies from different companies but Westcan is who Simon wants to go with. There are a few people we know in Sherwood Park who have said they are a good companyto work for. I know everyone will have different opinions on them, but Simon feels this one is more suited for him.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:07 am
I've Started Over!

The Waters Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me the general hours of work at Westcan, would be interesting to know?

Karla03 we are also in gloomy depressing Manchester, where abouts are you?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 12:44 pm
I've Started Over!

The Waters Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Waters Family
Can anyone tell me the general hours of work at Westcan, would be interesting to know?

Karla03 we are also in gloomy depressing Manchester, where abouts are you?
Nevermind about the first question, found out on the Westcan website, Very informative.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

You should check about getting PR in Alberta....some people told me it is a night mare....
You will also find some threads about Westcan here
When I was about to go to Canada I sent them email too but before I got an answer I already had a job offer from Timeline in SK where I am now 11 months...

Anyway
Good luck !!!!!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry all - been mega busy and not been on here for a while. We are living in Blackley at the minute with my parents after selling the house and saving every penny for our move. Simon has a few job offers and he won't make a decision until after his final one in October. We know where we want to go but we will have to see what happens on the final interview.

I have been shocked these passed few months with a few peoples attitude to companies we have looked at but to be honest everyone is different and what looks good to them doesn't appeal to everyone. We are looking forward to what the future holds in Canada and we know it's not going to be a bed of roses. Some of our so called friends and family do think we are daft to leave the UK but after years of dilly dallying around (since 2007 to be exact) we are doing it.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

[Some of our so called friends and family do think we are daft to leave the UK

Jealously
Old Sep 21st 2013, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Waters Family
Nevermind about the first question, found out on the Westcan website, Very informative.
Give up now matey , 4 years into research and you've just discovered the Red Army ? Do yourself and your family a big favour and stay put .
To emphasize , if you need to ask about hours whilst working towards PNP you're on a lost cause , being negative no just realistic .

Last edited by flat to the mat; Sep 21st 2013 at 2:21 am.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by karla03
Gremmie - You are a mind reader.

It is Westcan. We've had a few replies from different companies but Westcan is who Simon wants to go with. There are a few people we know in Sherwood Park who have said they are a good companyto work for. I know everyone will have different opinions on them, but Simon feels this one is more suited for him.
Good luck with you adventure, my family and I came over on a TWP with westcan and 2 years later have received our PR!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Smudger , so are you staying with them or getting a decent/well paid job ?
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Smudgers a Westcan lifer ! An I don't why it took him so long to get PR
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Kb knows what I'm like, one step at a time..typical Yorkshire man!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.