advise please

Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

berto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advise please

Hi folks, totally new to all this... just at the very start of our proposed journey to move to Canada....
my husband holds HGV and PSV licenses, ADR, and is an ADI ( Advanced Driving Instructor ). He has over 20 years coach and lorry experience and ADI for nearly 20 years. Extensive driving experience throughout Ireland and UK.

What would be the best way to go about looking to get into Canada? We were at an overseas expo yesterday in Dublin and everyone seemed positive, but today I am more confused than ever.... I keep seeing LMO, PNP, TWP..... and my head is spinning! i am sat here at computer while hubby works, trying to make sense of the whole thing and I'm plain lost!

Not even sure of where we would look to go.....any suggestions where there is better opportunities?

We have 3 daughters aged 15, 12 and 10. I work with special kids but don't have a degree, would i be better advised going back to college, getting teaching or nursing degree and then looking to get out on my job?

This is so stressful and we have nothing achieved!

thanks for reading.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: advise please

Originally Posted by berto
Hi folks, totally new to all this... just at the very start of our proposed journey to move to Canada....
my husband holds HGV and PSV licenses, ADR, and is an ADI ( Advanced Driving Instructor ). He has over 20 years coach and lorry experience and ADI for nearly 20 years. Extensive driving experience throughout Ireland and UK.

What would be the best way to go about looking to get into Canada? We were at an overseas expo yesterday in Dublin and everyone seemed positive, but today I am more confused than ever.... I keep seeing LMO, PNP, TWP..... and my head is spinning! i am sat here at computer while hubby works, trying to make sense of the whole thing and I'm plain lost!

Not even sure of where we would look to go.....any suggestions where there is better opportunities?

We have 3 daughters aged 15, 12 and 10. I work with special kids but don't have a degree, would i be better advised going back to college, getting teaching or nursing degree and then looking to get out on my job?

This is so stressful and we have nothing achieved!

thanks for reading.
Hi
If you move to canada you husband could go down the LMO (Labour market opinion) as a truck driver, his ADR and ADI are not valid in Canada, he will also need to pass a Canadian class 1 test and an air brake test. The best way it to start contacting trucking companies in Canada and find out what jobs are available. Sorry I cannot help you much with your side is it I don't know much about how the teaching and nursing side of it work in Canada.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you steve for your reply...it is just so difficult and different to home.....i suppose if it was like home, we won't want to go there!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget you both will need to prove you can speak/read/write in English or French to obtain permanent Residency (you can do the exam in the Uk )when you get word of a job.or do it in Canada
the exam is IELTS.(look it up.).
So in a nutshell your OH gets offered a job in Canada ,he receives a LMO from the company(email or post),you pick up a temporary work Permit at Canadian airport when arriving.
Then to apply for permanent Residency(or nominated by province you have settled in) you need this exam.
sounds stressfully and it is but well worth it in the end.
jimmy
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

sorry ment to put my 2cents in about your problem..
i personally would wait until arriving in Canada before putting myself through a degree as people in the teaching/nursing occupations have to jump through hoops to get credentials accepted.
Also when coming over with a truck driver OH you will not be permitted to work until PR or Nominated by province (min 6months).MB&SK ........other provinces may have different rules.
as well no child benefit until 18months in Canada.
not trying to put you off just pointing out a few things.
jimmy
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jamesmc
sorry ment to put my 2cents in about your problem..
i personally would wait until arriving in Canada before putting myself through a degree as people in the teaching/nursing occupations have to jump through hoops to get credentials accepted.
Also when coming over with a truck driver OH you will not be permitted to work until PR or Nominated by province (min 6months).MB&SK ........other provinces may have different rules.
as well no child benefit until 18months in Canada.
not trying to put you off just pointing out a few things.
jimmy
In Alberta the wife of a long haul truck driver can ask for an open work permit, but there are restrictions about working with children etc, so expect to be doing retail or similar at first.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:21 am
Just Joined

would husband be restricted to doing long haul driving intitally? What are the chances of getting coach work??? He has 20 years experience with public transport companies here in Northern Ireland.

Thank you to the people who have advised so far......this dream is quickly fading
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

would husband be restricted to doing long haul driving intitally? What are the chances of getting coach work??? He has 20 years experience with public transport companies here in Northern Ireland.

Thank you to the people who have advised so far......this dream is quickly fading

Most Lmo's are issued under the term long haul truck driver, it is possible but very very hard to get a short haul job on an LMO, Pcv is very hard to get a LMO for I only know of one coach company that has offered this, I don't know if they are still taking drivers.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

hi, thanks for that info. could you tell me the name of the coach company? Is there any province that would look more favourably on us than another? We really don't have much of a clue and maybe making a laughing stock of ourselves coming on here, but, if I don't ask, I'll never know!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

hi, thanks for that info. could you tell me the name of the coach company? Is there any province that would look more favourably on us than another? We really don't have much of a clue and maybe making a laughing stock of ourselves coming on here, but, if I don't ask, I'll never know!

The coach company was traxx coaches in Calgary AB. Each province has slightly different rules for LMO'S, you will have to do some research and pick a province that you want to move to. From my experience Saskatchewan and Alberta are the easiest to get into to.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

I have been researching TRAXX just this morning... I am currently working on Alan's CV/resume to email to them. Is emailing CV going to get us anywhere? I 'd imagine they get 1000's of emails. Is there any better way....save from landing on the doorstep, cos we do't have that kind of money!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

I have been researching TRAXX just this morning... I am currently working on Alan's CV/resume to email to them. Is emailing CV going to get us anywhere? I 'd imagine they get 1000's of emails. Is there any better way....save from landing on the doorstep, cos we do't have that kind of money!
Email is normally the best way to do it,it seen to be how most thinks are done now, make sure you do you research and sent it to the right person or the hr department. Use your resume to lots of companies not just one, it may that a long time but stick with it and good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that steve.
Well after a few hours working on his CV, I think I'm ready to forward it to TRAXX, wish us luck folks!!!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Is emailing CV going to get us anywhere? I 'd imagine they get 1000's of emails. Is there any better way....save from landing on the doorstep, cos we do't have that kind of money!
The general advice for Canada is to always get out there if you can, or at the very least pick up the phone. But it does seem to be slightly easier to get a trucking job via email than most other jobs. Have you read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? Loads of useful info in there - including how it's not called a CV, make sure you refer to it as a resume!!

And I realise this is none of my business, but you say you don't have the money to go out to Canada for a holiday, have you looked in to the cost of moving? It isn't cheap unfortunately! This recent thread may be useful reading - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

HTH, good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and with regard to working out there, have a read of this - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp

Basically, as truck driving isn't considered a 'skilled' job, you wouldn't get the normal Spousal Open Work Permit, so you'd not be able to work unless you got a LMO/TWP in your own right, or until you got PR. Same for your eldest child, which can often be a problem when they're 16 or 17 and wanting to earn some extra money with a Saturday job or similar.

But there are pilot programs in one or two provinces that would allow you both to work, so if you do want to it's worth trying to head for one of them.

Best of luck.