Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is your accent a problem here?

Is your accent a problem here?

Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is your accent a problem here?

Originally Posted by guyb
Hi Y'all

Been in Atlanta since March. In a job since August but not my trade (PR/Comms) and looking around now.

Had five interviews in the past month, didn't land any of them and while my qualifications and experience seem to fit, something isn't quite landing.

My wife suggests it might be my strong-ish North Eastern accent, which whilst charming in the UK, is a different kettle of fish in the US, particularly the South.

Has anybody else ran into trouble with their accent here? (unusual I know because you'd think we spoke the same language but all the same).
We are in Atlanta too.
Husband just told me that chap in his work who has strongish North east england accent has just taken new posting back in UK as never managed to gain much credibility with the americans. Those with strongish regional accents themselves ( TN, north GA) seemed to have the most problem. Husband seems to do ok with his Southern/ neutral accent as they think he sounds like Hugh Grant. [hopefully not such an annoying tit though]

I got told at the Post office the other day that I sound like Mary Poppins! Not too thrilled about that either!
I'm sure what you're facing is as a result of economic downturn- but you might want to get out the elocution tapes just in case - all together now "the rain in spain...." good luck though
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Y'all

Been in Atlanta since March. In a job since August but not my trade (PR/Comms) and looking around now.

Had five interviews in the past month, didn't land any of them and while my qualifications and experience seem to fit, something isn't quite landing.

My wife suggests it might be my strong-ish North Eastern accent, which whilst charming in the UK, is a different kettle of fish in the US, particularly the South.

Has anybody else ran into trouble with their accent here? (unusual I know because you'd think we spoke the same language but all the same).
I've been here 25+ years, and I'd say I'm a 'chameleon' when it comes to accents - I adapt to the sounds around me, without really thinking about it (put me in a room with a dozen Indians and I'll be speaking with an Indian accent after an hour or too!). I say 'zee' not 'zed', 'skedule' not 'shhhedule', etc. But even so, everyone says they 'love my accent' and can still tell I'm from UK. Just last week, they asked me to record all the greetings on the phone system 'because I sound so classy' ... .

I do think a heavy regional UK accent could be a barrier in many jobs, and I would make an effort if I were you to 'tone it down'. I say this simply because you have to be clearly understood in most lines of work - every word counts (consider how much flack Indian 'call center' workers get for their accents - you are probably harder to understand than an Indian, if you are not making any effort to adapt). Since it comes naturally to me, it's easy for me to say but I can't imagine that it is that hard to do.

Do you just have a heavy accent, or do you also use 'regional phrases' ... I had friends from NE UK and they had a whole other vocabulary!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Another Atlanta resident here,
I left Teesside 30+ years ago and have definitely had to moderate my accent to make myself understood in my travels to over 40 countries.
My US mother in law says I have a strong accent but as I keep telling her if I spoke today the way I spoke as a child growing up in Darlington she would only understand every 5th word coming out of my mouth.
Personally I find having a British accent regardless of where in the UK you are from, is an icebreaker, people tend to remember you faster when you call them on the phone, they tend to be more amenable/flexible when dealing with me rather than Americans who ask the same question
So long as you are understood in normal conversations here, regional accents shouldn’t be the cause of you not getting a job, tough economic times are another thing all together.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:30 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I think the barrier is more one of using American phraseology and syllable emphasis than pronunciation. "Do you have any?" instead of "Have you got any?"; and "g'RAAGE" instead of "GAridge.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 1:50 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Hubby LOVES his accent because it makes him stand out to people - they all love hearing it and, as such, love him (could be because he's such a swell guy too though )

But I get annoyed with the idiots who will say they can't understand him or when he has to repeat himself over and over. Though honestly that doesn't happen as much anymore - I think mostly they're just fascinated and want to hear him say ANYthing. LOL.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 1:53 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Y'all

Hubs is from the Northeast also but doesn't find it too much of a problem here (except it does get on my nerves once in awhile).
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:01 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I like this website... http://web.ku.edu/~idea/

Regional dialects from all over the world. Hearing the difference from Maine to North Carolina to Wales to Newcastle to London is interesting.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:21 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I like this website... http://web.ku.edu/~idea/

Regional dialects from all over the world. Hearing the difference from Maine to North Carolina to Wales to Newcastle to London is interesting.
I sound like England eight with a deeper voice lol
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

This link is for all Geordie's ( and I are one) who are trying to get jobs worldwide. It may help their prospective employer.

http://www.geordie.org.uk/index.htm

Ye knaa what ah mean leik.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:07 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I sound like England eight with a deeper voice lol
well, that's a nice one.

I do like the Southwest accent,
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

SirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cindyabs
well, that's a nice one.

I do like the Southwest accent,
Only because there is not much difference between that and Long John Silver.

God knows what I sound like - my Brummie faded at an early age - probably due to a concious (but misguided) effort to be perceived as intelligent. Don't get me wrong - I love the accent. I tell my US friends that if I spoke with the accent of my birth, I would sound like Ozzie Osbourne - they can get a handle on that.

Now Cindy reckons my Brummie only comes out when I am drunk or angry (btw I'm never both ).
Old Oct 26th 2009, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've always found my English accent to be an advantage - especially with American women
Old Oct 26th 2009, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I've always found my English accent to be an advantage - especially with American women
It could be the giant axe.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It could be the giant axe.
Well that too
Old Oct 26th 2009, 5:24 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Traceym didn't seem to be too impressed - but then she likes the Scot accent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.