WTF in America

Old May 10th 2014, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
You been smoking something even weirder than a Texas Cowboy...?
Madeleines
Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Only the jockstrap...
Old May 11th 2014, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Shrines to dead loved ones, at the scene of the "accident".

I swear, went by one the other day and it was an eight foot carved wooden cross with all the usual gubbins at the base of it, beer bottles, photographs, plastic flowers..

Talk about tacky.
Old May 11th 2014, 1:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Shrines to dead loved ones, at the scene of the "accident".

I swear, went by one the other day and it was an eight foot carved wooden cross with all the usual gubbins at the base of it, beer bottles, photographs, plastic flowers..

Talk about tacky.
Certainly these roadside memorials sometimes become remarkably intricate, but it is the "In memorial" stickers in the rear windows of trucks and cars that I think are more bizarre. IME, PT Cruiser owners seem to be particularly drawn to these things; perhaps it is the hearse-like appearance of the PT Cruiser that encourages this?
Old May 11th 2014, 1:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The worst example of that i can think of was not far from where I grew up in the UK.

It was a residential road and obviously after what seemed years of trashiness the people who lived there got pretty pissed off. Made the local rag.
Old May 11th 2014, 1:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Certainly these roadside memorials sometimes become remarkably intricate, but it is the "In memorial" stickers in the rear windows of trucks and cars that I think are more bizarre. IME, PT Cruiser owners seem to be particularly drawn to these things; perhaps it is the hearse-like appearance of the PT Cruiser that encourages this?
Ok so that's really weird. I saw a memorial sticker for the first time the other day and it was in a PT Cruiser. Has to be the naffest, most tasteless thing I've seen in a long time and the sticker was dumb too.
Old May 11th 2014, 2:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The worst example of that i can think of was not far from where I grew up in the UK.

It was a residential road and obviously after what seemed years of trashiness the people who lived there got pretty pissed off. Made the local rag.
There's a fairly intricate ad hoc memorial along side a semi-rural road near where I live. Not only is it quite large, containing a number of objects, but it also sits fairly well back from the road, .... with a parking area (part of a farm track/ entrance) along side, all comprising a "bite" out of an agricultural field. ..... I am now intrigued to see what happens to this memorial because the land was recently sold for development as a housing estate. This isn't just a family shrine either, the death of the young man (older teen IIRC) was controversial because it was speculated that the vehicle hit him (he was a pedestrian), hit him deliberately, not just a random deliberate collision, but targeting him specifically. ..... AFAIK no one was ever charged, or even arrested, in connection with his death.

Removing it isn't going to be easy, but I doubt the developers, or the future home owners, want a permanent memorial alongside their homes.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 11th 2014 at 2:43 am.
Old May 11th 2014, 2:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am now intrigued to see what happens to this memorial because the land was recently sold for development as a housing estate.
Destroyed. As they all should be.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

but it is the "In memorial" stickers in the rear windows of trucks and cars that I think are more bizarre.
I was almost going to add that but wasn't sure if it would exceed my quota.

But yes, my mum/dad/aunt/gran died therefore I'm respecting their memory with my brand spanking new Toyota 4x4.

Insurance money maybe?

Maybe I'm too old school but I'm more on the lines of a bench in a local park or a donation to a hospital.

Last edited by Hotscot; May 11th 2014 at 4:27 am.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a fairly intricate ad hoc memorial along side a semi-rural road near where I live. Not only is it quite large, containing a number of objects, but it also sits fairly well back from the road, .... with a parking area (part of a farm track/ entrance) along side, all comprising a "bite" out of an agricultural field. ..... I am now intrigued to see what happens to this memorial because the land was recently sold for development as a housing estate. This isn't just a family shrine either, the death of the young man (older teen IIRC) was controversial because it was speculated that the vehicle hit him (he was a pedestrian), hit him deliberately, not just a random deliberate collision, but targeting him specifically. ..... AFAIK no one was ever charged, or even arrested, in connection with his death.

Removing it isn't going to be easy, but I doubt the developers, or the future home owners, want a permanent memorial alongside their homes.
On the main drag here they have speeding signs in memorium of whoever.

Usually the issue is overtaking on blind crests with double lines.
Old May 11th 2014, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

We drive down some highway in West Virginia, and is swear this (steep, long downhill bend) had them every 150 yards.
Old May 11th 2014, 10:45 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I was almost going to add that but wasn't sure if it would exceed my quota.

But yes, my mum/dad/aunt/gran died therefore I'm respecting their memory with my brand spanking new Toyota 4x4.

Insurance money maybe?

Maybe I'm too old school but I'm more on the lines of a bench in a local park or a donation to a hospital.
Good example, the local park has a plaque by nearly every tree and bench.
The plaque does not list the cause of death, just date of birth and year of death.
Old May 11th 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Good example, the local park has a plaque by nearly every tree and bench.
The plaque does not list the cause of death, just date of birth and year of death.
And presumably doesn't mark the place of death.
Old May 11th 2014, 11:48 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

And presumably doesn't mark the place of death.
That would be far too convenient.

No its each tree and park bench. Actually a nice touch.
Old May 11th 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
That would be far too convenient.

No its each tree and park bench. Actually a nice touch.
Memorial park benches are very common in Britain.
Old May 11th 2014, 12:21 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Memorial park benches are very common in Britain.
One of our local pubs has memorial plaques to deceased patrons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.