WTF in America

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I suppose the UK is also a lot more 'regional' than you'd think as well, so different areas are going to get things before others.

We also had a 5 digit area code
My early childhood phone number - WIM 4311.

We were taught to say that when answering the phone, no names, no "hello", just the number. Not that the call was ever for us.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I took a look at my current phone to see how they handle it now (and/or, in the US) ... never paid attention before. Seems like they fully allocate all letters, with 4 letters on the '7' (pqrs) and '9' (wxyz). '0' is labeled operator, 1 is unallocated.
Yeah, that's pretty much the standard. And now with touch screen mobiles, we can just switch the keypad to letters to make it even easier.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We had a 4 digit number and I'm trying to remember the area code but I would never have used it so struggling a bit. A 1960s phone number is a great bank pin number for the 21st century.
I didn't even know there was such a thing as area codes until we went to the Isle of Man for a holiday and we had to use one to call my grandparents. Any numbers I dialled were all within our town, and we only had to prefix the number with '9' to call Belfast. At some point the code lost its last number and local numbers were changed to 6 digits, then our code gained a '1' after the leading zero.

We were then one of the regions that were given 8 digit numbers, so NI had '028' as the 'region code' and then there was an area-specific '9x' number, followed by the six digit local number that was.

Such a bloody faff. I like that out here, all numbers follow the same 10 digit format, including mobile numbers, so we don't have a bloody great '07...' number to memorize as well as our home number

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

We were taught to say that when answering the phone, no names, no "hello", just the number. Not that the call was ever for us.
They did actually use the letters, then.

I remember answering the phone with our number, too.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

We had to answer the same way, but we never had a party line. I do remember the old black phone with the braided cord and the big silver dial -- a good nail destroyer when I got older. My folks must have had that same instrument for 30 years!
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also had a party line, answered the phone quoting the exchange followed by the 5 digit number.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I took a look at my current phone to see how they handle it now (and/or, in the US) ... never paid attention before. Seems like they fully allocate all letters, with 4 letters on the '7' (pqrs) and '9' (wxyz). '0' is labeled operator, 1 is unallocated.
I saw it as a great anagram to find out what words I'd be able to make with my phone number - except that every number I have had has a zero in it.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.gofundme.com/spiritual-j...nd-travel-fund

My name is Becca Gronski and I'm raising money to support myself on my travels and spiritual journey around the world. As I travel, I want to help people realize their own dreams and show them that anyone can follow their passions and make the life they want a reality.

I am a spiritual teacher, life coach, reiki and crystal healer, artist, YouTuber, traveler and writer. I love sharing these gifts with people and often want to just give them freely to anyone who can benefit from them. I believe we should all have the opportunity to have the things we need at our finger tips, whether or not we have the money for them. So, I want to be able to give freely, without worry, to people who have less or just need a helping hand for the moment.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother STILL answers the phone with the last 4 digits.

We got our first phone around 1970. I believe it has always had a 7-digit number prefixed by 021 for Birmingham. Later became 0121.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Now all I can think of is this:

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

We had a grey job, in the hallway with nowhere to sit. Also was a party line with a neighbour until the early 80s when Mum had enough of the neighbours hogging the line and we could afford to get our own outgoing line. Loved pressing the button on top to get the dial tone. Also had to answer with the last 4 digits of the phone number (in Manchester, format was 061 xxx yyyy). Was also taught to reply "who is calling please" in best telephone voice if someone asked by name for someone in the household.

At a young age I was also taken to the local phone box and taught how to call home in case I was ever lost or in need of help. Always had to have 2p on me for such a purpose.

When Mum and Dad got our own line we upgraded our phones, and they still have and use the beige one...
Attached Thumbnails WTF in America-grey746.jpg   WTF in America-download.jpg  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Such a bloody faff. I like that out here, all numbers follow the same 10 digit format, including mobile numbers, so we don't have a bloody great '07...' number to memorize as well as our home number

Didn't used to be that way, apparently ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange_names
The Telephone EXchange Name Project

PS - do UK mobile #s still follow a unique pattern? And if so, I presume that means you don't have number portability from landline to mobile, as you do in the US.

Last edited by Steerpike; Feb 22nd 2017 at 3:34 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
We had a grey job, in the hallway with nowhere to sit. Also was a party line with a neighbour until the early 80s when Mum had enough of the neighbours hogging the line and we could afford to get our own outgoing line. Loved pressing the button on top to get the dial tone. Also had to answer with the last 4 digits of the phone number (in Manchester, format was 061 xxx yyyy). Was also taught to reply "who is calling please" in best telephone voice if someone asked by name for someone in the household.

At a young age I was also taken to the local phone box and taught how to call home in case I was ever lost or in need of help. Always had to have 2p on me for such a purpose.

When Mum and Dad got our own line we upgraded our phones, and they still have and use the beige one...
My MIL and SIL still use the beige one too!
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 3:41 pm
I have a comma problem

Didn't used to be that way, apparently ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange_names
The Telephone EXchange Name Project

PS - do UK mobile #s still follow a unique pattern? And if so, I presume that means you don't have number portability from landline to mobile, as you do in the US.
I suppose that link explains why you'll see stuff like 'Klondyke 5' in phone numbers in The Simpsons, etc.

I think even around here back when my wife was growing up, she said you didn't need the 1st 3 digits (what's essentially the area code) in order to dial local numbers. But then again, they also had the '312' area code up here, which is now exclusively Chicago and since I've been here they ran out of numbers for the replacement '847' code and had to add a new one!

I don't know if there is a pattern in UK mobile numbers or not. I always used 'pay as you go' phones out there anyway. I know out here I've been able to keep my mobile number and I've changed phones 4 or 5 times over the years and even switched providers.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if there is a pattern in UK mobile numbers or not. I always used 'pay as you go' phones out there anyway. I know out here I've been able to keep my mobile number and I've changed phones 4 or 5 times over the years and even switched providers.
I think there was in the early days - my number used to be 0467 and then became 07767 (just looked it up, and yes, they used to be assigned to the provider.

On the subject of mobile phones, I've had the same number now for 20+ years. I got my first (analogue brick) phone at the Ideal Home Exhibition, and was shown a list of numbers and I could pick the one I wanted. I chose a nice easy to remember one and have had it ever since, porting it round virtually all of the providers by now. I'd feel like I'd lost part of my identity if I had to change it now!
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:52 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

According to this site, Mobile phone number list • UK Area Codes , all mobiles start with 07.... . So that tells me, in the UK, you cannot 'port' a number from Landline to a mobile, as you can here in the US (where all numbers follow a standard scheme, and mobiles are indistinguishable from landlines). I suspect this is due to the fact that in UK, calls to mobiles are charged differently from calls to landlines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.