WTF in America

Old Jan 21st 2017, 2:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by lizzyq
They are interesting. There is one of those on the M60 around Manchester, UK and joining at that junction when driving an aged Land Rover took years off my life.
There used to be one on the M42 just east of Birmingham too, but I believe they restructured it more than a decade ago.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:28 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the density of traffic I rate drivers in California pretty highly. If you want to see some real arseholes try Paris
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If you want to see some of US/Canada's worst:

-Drivers
-Highways
-Congestion

Then come to Vancouver area of BC.

Vancouver traffic congestion growing worse: First of a series | Vancouver Sun

Vancouver is generally in the top 3 of worst congestion in North America in various reports over the last few years.
Middle of butt**** nowhere, Alberta as well. Lots of people dallying about at 80 kmh on the back roads into Jasper. Especially annoying when there's no space to overtake.

Interestingly, when driving in a car with a readout in kmh, I completely lose sense of how fast I'm going. I'm just glad I didn't run into any rozzers, because I did flip the switch to Freedom Units for a second, and apparently 145 kmh is 90 mph
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Middle of butt**** nowhere, Alberta as well. Lots of people dallying about at 80 kmh on the back roads into Jasper. Especially annoying when there's no space to overtake.

Interestingly, when driving in a car with a readout in kmh, I completely lose sense of how fast I'm going. I'm just glad I didn't run into any rozzers, because I did flip the switch to Freedom Units for a second, and apparently 145 kmh is 90 mph
It's a pain around here, only 2 lanes each direction on the highway between Chilliwack and 200th in Langley (about 40 miles) and the volume is too high for the highway so it's hard to go a reasonable speed, slow pokes in the right lane, crazy speeders in the left, nowhere to go if you want to drive a reasonable speed.... It's a pretty crazy highway to drive these days, the volume is just too much for 2 lanes each direction. And the semi's drive like madness, some are downright scary how fast they drive and unsafe lane changes they do.

That 40 miles can take an hour or more sometimes due to congestion.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 21st 2017 at 5:55 am.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I found that the best way to fit in driving in California was just to stay in the left lane and drive as fast as possible.
Survival of the fastest!
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:25 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Survival of the fastest!
There's no such thing as fast driving on LA's Freeways except maybe between 11:00 PM and 5:00 AM. Any other time you're lucky if you can drive at 65 for more than five minutes before having to slow down

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 21st 2017 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:34 pm
Banned

It's a pain around here, only 2 lanes each direction on the highway between Chilliwack and 200th in Langley (about 40 miles) and the volume is too high for the highway so it's hard to go a reasonable speed, slow pokes in the right lane, crazy speeders in the left, nowhere to go if you want to drive a reasonable speed.... It's a pretty crazy highway to drive these days, the volume is just too much for 2 lanes each direction. And the semi's drive like madness, some are downright scary how fast they drive and unsafe lane changes they do.

That 40 miles can take an hour or more sometimes due to congestion.
That's what I like about California. The semi drivers are pretty good. More often than not when a semi is involved in an accident it's because of a car or other smaller vehicle being the cause. The only thing that bugs me is out of state semi drivers who use the third lane instead of sticking to the first and second lanes
Old Jan 21st 2017, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
There's no such thing as fast driving on LA's Freeways except maybe between 11:00 PM and 5:00 AM. Any other time you're lucky if you can drive at 65 for more than five minutes before having to slow down
... and at certain times you are lucky if you are moving at all ..
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Until some arsehole opens a door on you or something. Or more likely decides to change lanes without checking their mirror because random and sudden lane changes is their god-given right, or something.
Well yes, that's why it isn't safe or advised, but they are allowed to do it at least!
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 12:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
That's what I like about California. The semi drivers are pretty good. More often than not when a semi is involved in an accident it's because of a car or other smaller vehicle being the cause. The only thing that bugs me is out of state semi drivers who use the third lane instead of sticking to the first and second lanes
Semi truck drivers around here are bad, dangerous and have no concern for the safety of those around them. Today going down the highway a semi was going 110+ (I was going 110 and he passed me like I was standing still) all while dragging a metal chain on the road sparking all over. Several cars tried to honk at him when passing the cab, but he kept on going. I did call the police and reported it, so hopefully an officer was able to locate and pull him over.

Poorly secure gravel loads are also an issue on gravel trucks, oh and logging trucks are the worst of the worse.

When we were in California/AZ in November and doing 200-300 miles a day on the highways, my wife even noticed and pointed out how much slower and safer the semi trucks drove vs here.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 4:41 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well yes, that's why it isn't safe or advised, but they are allowed to do it at least!
I thought California was the only state that allowed lane splitting. Didn't know they allowed it out your way too.

It was something I just expected to happen at home in a line of traffic, it was weird not seeing motorbikes zipping up to a traffic light in between us all out here.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 4:57 am
Banned

Semi truck drivers around here are bad, dangerous and have no concern for the safety of those around them. Today going down the highway a semi was going 110+ (I was going 110 and he passed me like I was standing still) all while dragging a metal chain on the road sparking all over. Several cars tried to honk at him when passing the cab, but he kept on going. I did call the police and reported it, so hopefully an officer was able to locate and pull him over.

Poorly secure gravel loads are also an issue on gravel trucks, oh and logging trucks are the worst of the worse.

When we were in California/AZ in November and doing 200-300 miles a day on the highways, my wife even noticed and pointed out how much slower and safer the semi trucks drove vs here.
Too true they are. The Highway Patrol come down heavy on bad semi drivers. Quite often when a semi has to pull in to a weigh scale a H.P officer will do a spot safety inspection on the vehicle. That not only includes equipment but driver logs You can always tell those safety guys. They drive all white patrol cars and wear dark colored uniforms.

Aside from all that what does it benefit a guy who earns his living driving a rig and loses his license? He's out of a job

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 22nd 2017 at 5:00 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 9:10 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon if posted before, a moving golf hazard in where else Florida.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 9:33 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I was once behind a flat bed lorry carrying baled bricks, unfortunately one of the ties for one bale had chafed and broken, so every time he went ocer a bump a brick or two would fall off. I stayed well behind, but kept flashing my light, but he didn't take any notice, when he went round a sharp bend in a village two or three bricks came off and narrowly missed some people sat on a bench. Just up the road it widened to three lanes, so I passed him, got in front, put on my hazard lights and slowed right down, he did stop, I got out and told him what was happening to his load, he did thank me and go and secure it, I suppose, for him, it was better than having to police onto him.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 4:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I was once behind a flat bed lorry carrying baled bricks, unfortunately one of the ties for one bale had chafed and broken, so every time he went ocer a bump a brick or two would fall off. I stayed well behind, but kept flashing my light, but he didn't take any notice, when he went round a sharp bend in a village two or three bricks came off and narrowly missed some people sat on a bench. Just up the road it widened to three lanes, so I passed him, got in front, put on my hazard lights and slowed right down, he did stop, I got out and told him what was happening to his load, he did thank me and go and secure it, I suppose, for him, it was better than having to police onto him.
Not half a bad idea for a truck driver or any other driver to glance in all three rear view mirrors occasionally just as a check on what's happening around him

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 22nd 2017 at 4:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.