Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you have come to America ...

Would you have come to America ...

Old Jul 11th 2015, 1:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you have come to America ...

Originally Posted by Maud Araminta
I used the word "here" because America (and England) are all I know. I didn't mean to infer that this type of abuse happens only here.

Hideous domestic abuse indeed.
Shame you are ignoring me Maud because I was rather enjoying this...but now I'm bored. Bye.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 1:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I would move somewhere without knowing the language, but I doubt it would have been America. Wife did move to the U.S. in her very early teens and went to school first day knowing not one word of English. She had done the same when moving to Japan a year earlier. Her father was the only one that spoke English, but he was a chief engineer at sea for 12 month trips, so the family had to get set up and get on with life in a strange language. Her mom now speaks very good, but heavily accented English. Her main confusions are on gender and tense, especially when she gets mad the 3 daughters all went thru US universities for first and second degrees, and speak very good English..for all of them it is their written English that betrays the fact that it is not their first language.

I still have a hankering to move back to the Far East, and if it happened, Taiwan would likely be the place, where English is pretty limited, as is my Chinese. We are in Taiwan at the moment, and the kids are sucking up the Mandarin like sponges. My 10 yo daughter has been elevated from youngest kid to de facto leader because she is doing so well and will jump in with both feet. The boys are more reticent. Wife is not with us for the last couple of weeks so I'd expected to be the "guide", but daughter has surpassed my limited abilities in double quick time, speaking, reading and writing.
Girls rule Well done Miss Yorkie
Old Jul 11th 2015, 1:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
but she was from Conneticut...but wait...
🔎Elementary my dear Watson💡💡
Old Jul 11th 2015, 1:52 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
My favorite story is from my grandfather on my mother's side. He decided to immigrate first, find a job, and then send money back to my grandmother in Yugoslavia to pay for the trip for her and my mother to come to the US. In Yugoslavia it was customary for the wife to stay with his parents when he was away so my grandmother and mother stayed with his parents and worked the farm. When he arrived in the US, he found out that there were good paying jobs in the open pit mines in Northern Minnesota so he went there and got a job.

After a year, he saved enough money to bring his wife and my mother to the US and sent the money in the mail. About a month later he received a letter back saying that she isn't ready to move yet and the money was spent for necessities. This continued for 10 years with my grandfather sending money and getting a response that she was not ready to come yet. Finally my grandmother, who was illiterate, thought there was something fishy going on since each time a letter was received, my grandfather's father always said the same that "times are tough but next year I'll send the money". So each morning she waited by the mail box and when she recognized a letter from my grandfather, she took it to the local priest. In the letter it said, "I've sent you money many times but you never come and I am fed up." She then had the priest write a letter explaining that she never received any money and to send the money to the priest. The money arrived and her and my mother (then 16) immigrated.

I said to my grandfather, "I bet you were really mad at your father" and he said "no, that's just life".
That's a cracking story. Trick is to make sure its recorded somewhere so these things can be handed down to later generations and don't get lost in the fog. We're already "arguing" about stories that happened long ago, where the only people that could probably tell the correct version are now dead....
Old Jul 11th 2015, 2:20 am
N.Ireland / NJ

Chrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud of

No, I don't think I could do it. :/
Old Jul 11th 2015, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I know a Greek woman who hardly speaks a word of English. She's lived in the US for almost 60 years!
My grandmother from my mother's side only learned a few words of English but as a child I used to visit her a lot and hand gestures were used a lot. I lived in a small village and my grandfather owned the local grocery store and they lived in the back and the bedrooms on the second floor. When he had to go to town to pick up supplies, she with her very limited English was able to manage the store and serve customers. All my uncles and aunts (12 total) spoke the language fluently as well as English so they always talked to her in her language.

In the village there were two ladies of my grandparents age that didn't speak English but only Italian. They lived on the same street as my grandmother from my father's side and she learned enough Italian to be able hold a conversation with them in Italian. Of course since it was Italian, plenty of hand gestures were used.

My mother had a rough time when she initially arrived at age 16 speaking no English and very little education. My grandfather sent her to school and she learned to speak, read, and write English pretty well for only a couple years in school. At that time the school was local with one classroom for K-6 and another for 7-12. I'm not sure how that worked but suspect the students worked at their own pace.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 11th 2015 at 3:31 am.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I have two friends that came to America not knowing much English at all

One from Turkey and one from Bulgaria.

They both now have excellent command of the English language.

The Turkish one is now married to a millionnaire (OK more than that now but a independently wealthy individual) and the Bulgarian is married to a guy teaching Americans about solar energy. The Bulgarian husband is hilarious. I swear he was the inspiration for the Borat hating Gypsies thing. Dude hates Gypsies. If the conversation slows......he starts up on Gypsies. It's like the most racist rant you never want to hear in your life.

Anyway, both women (who are RN's here) didn't know English very well at all prior to moving to the USA. None of the natives think their accents are cute, and most think they are some sort of dreadful foreign infiltrators. They are both atheists without much political leanings.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
How can she take the citizenship test, which I believe requires reading and writing, if she's unable to do either?
When I joined the Navy, I had to fill out a form that asked about my father's and mother's place of birth. When I wrote "Yugoslavia" for my mother, it asked for her naturalization number. I asked my mother for her naturalization number and she said she became a citizen when her parents naturalized. However that was incorrect since she arrived when she was 16 and has been voting since her parents naturalized.

Fortunately the INS was very forgiving in those days and after seeing someone at the INS, they quickly naturalized her.

During the early 20th century immigration, many Italians couldn't get needed documents from the Italian government to immigrate to the US so they just boarded the boat and when they arrived, they were questioned as to why they didn't have papers but were allowed to immigrate. That is how the name WOP (with out papers) came to refer to Italians.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't move anywhere where I didn't speak the lingo!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 5:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maud Araminta
if you could not speak English? I definitely would not have done so. I am amazed and full of admiration for the many people who come here with limited or no English. I cannot imagine navigating through the difficulties of emigration and life here in general without English.
Yes. My husband came to the USA on a K-1 fiancé visa. He's from Iran, but was living and working in Turkey when we met. So he spoke Farsi, Azeri, and Turkish, but pretty much zero English when he came to the USA in 2004. (I speak fluent Farsi so that's how we communicated...and still do for the most part.)

He didn't know anyone in the USA except me. He owned his own oriental rug repair business in Turkey and had a dozen employees, so he really took a big risk giving all that up to come here.

Because he works in the oriental rug industry, he mostly works with other Iranians (or sometimes Turks), AND he spends most of his time in Los Angeles (mini-Tehran!), so he never really has much need to speak English on a daily basis. That being said, his English is much better than it was in 2004, but I would say he is still not fluent.

I was so proud of him for learning all the US Citizenship questions and answers in 2009 for his exam. It was really hard for him, with his limited English, but he did it and became a US Citizen. Since his reading in English was even worse than his speaking, I recorded all 100 questions with one answer each, so he could play the recording while he was working and memorize everything. Which to my somewhat astonishment, he did!

So from my husband's perspective, "yes, I'd move to the USA if I didn't speak English".

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 11th 2015 at 6:05 am.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When I joined the Navy, I had to fill out a form that asked about my father's and mother's place of birth. When I wrote "Yugoslavia" for my mother, it asked for her naturalization number. I asked my mother for her naturalization number and she said she became a citizen when her parents naturalized. However that was incorrect since she arrived when she was 16 and has been voting since her parents naturalized.

Fortunately the INS was very forgiving in those days and after seeing someone at the INS, they quickly naturalized her.

During the early 20th century immigration, many Italians couldn't get needed documents from the Italian government to immigrate to the US so they just boarded the boat and when they arrived, they were questioned as to why they didn't have papers but were allowed to immigrate. That is how the name WOP (with out papers) came to refer to Italians.
That may explain why back in the late 90's my employer at the time suddenly stopped calling using WOP to abbreviate without pay when we left early or were sent home early on the time sheet.

All they ever said was it could be offensive but I never looked into why, maybe this is why.

Learn something everyday.

I don't think I'd move without knowing the language of the country or at least not move without family who spoke the language, I haven't had the best record at learning new languages, so I'd be wary of moving without knowing the language since that would mean likely not working for some time.

My wife would have no issue, she picks languages up like a sponge, she spent a year in Brazil and learned Portuguese in that time and can still speak it, she also knows German and a tiny bit of Canadian French she picked up from reading labels on products.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 11th 2015 at 7:29 am.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. My husband came to the USA on a K-1 fiancé visa. He's from Iran, but was living and working in Turkey when we met. So he spoke Farsi, Azeri, and Turkish, but pretty much zero English when he came to the USA in 2004. (I speak fluent Farsi so that's how we communicated...and still do for the most part.)

He didn't know anyone in the USA except me. He owned his own oriental rug repair business in Turkey and had a dozen employees, so he really took a big risk giving all that up to come here.

Because he works in the oriental rug industry, he mostly works with other Iranians (or sometimes Turks), AND he spends most of his time in Los Angeles (mini-Tehran!), so he never really has much need to speak English on a daily basis. That being said, his English is much better than it was in 2004, but I would say he is still not fluent.

I was so proud of him for learning all the US Citizenship questions and answers in 2009 for his exam. It was really hard for him, with his limited English, but he did it and became a US Citizen. Since his reading in English was even worse than his speaking, I recorded all 100 questions with one answer each, so he could play the recording while he was working and memorize everything. Which to my somewhat astonishment, he did!

So from my husband's perspective, "yes, I'd move to the USA if I didn't speak English".

Rene

He sounds like a strong determined man. That is a huge accomplishment in quite a small period of time. I am sure you are really proud of him.

It puts into perspective all the gripes and complaints and feelings of not understanding the country and culture a lot of us go through when we first move here and we don't have the language barrier! (Unless you live deep in the heart of smalltown Texas)

I do know that if I was from a non-English speaking country I would dread having to learn to speak and write in English. It is not an easy language to understand
Old Jul 11th 2015, 2:04 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Fantastic

We don't get enough of these success stories on BE . Love it.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 2:13 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

That is how the name WOP (with out papers) came to refer to Italians.
I didn't know where that one came from.

You're really on a roll on this one Michael - come on, next, we're waiting! If you keep this up you'll get your own thread like Nutek
Old Jul 11th 2015, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I didn't know where that one came from.

You're really on a roll on this one Michael - come on, next, we're waiting! If you keep this up you'll get your own thread like Nutek
When I was a kid growing up in the '50s, everyone in the small multi-ethnic village used a name for someone of a different ethnicity. I don't think most knew that was a derogatory term and people of that ethnicity also used the name.

For me and my family, we were referred to as Bohunks and only now do I realize it means "A contemptuous term used to refer to an unskilled or semiskilled foreign-born laborer, especially from east central or southeastern Europe."

Italians were referred to a WOPs or Dagos.

Poles were referred to as Polacks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.