Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you have come to America ...

Would you have come to America ...

Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you have come to America ...

Originally Posted by Maud Araminta
if you could not speak English? I definitely would not have done so. I am amazed and full of admiration for the many people who come here with limited or no English. I cannot imagine navigating through the difficulties of emigration and life here in general without English.
I thought this was going to be...'would you have come to America if you had known what you do now?'
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:14 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

if you could not speak English? I definitely would not have done so. I am amazed and full of admiration for the many people who come here with limited or no English. I cannot imagine navigating through the difficulties of emigration and life here in general without English.
I don't think so, hubby way offered Norway first then Simgapore and I didn't fancy either. If I had I would have tried to learn the language as fast as possible. I have a friend who lived in Holland for several years and could barely speak a word yet her son could speak fluent Dutch - he translated for her (can't remember how old he was but under 10). She made a few friends but only ones who could speak English.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Just like the mass immigration of the Italians, Germans, Poles, Scandinavians, Yugoslavs, and others in the early 20th century, many are immigrating out of desperation.

My grandparents from both sides as well as my mother immigrated in the early 20th century and didn't speak a word of English.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Many live in their own communities and never learn to speak English. They rely on others in their community to help them. Here in Toronto my daughter works with a lady whose mother is Chinese...she has lived here for over 50 years...she can't speak English.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:45 pm
Banned

Maud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought this was going to be...'would you have come to America if you had known what you do now?'
Should we start a thread like this? I like it.

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I have a friend who lived in Holland for several years and could barely speak a word yet her son could speak fluent Dutch - he translated for her (can't remember how old he was but under 10). She made a few friends but only ones who could speak English.
You see that a lot here - children who become the "adults" in the family as they are the only ones able to navigate through the issues of school, medical treatments, etc.

my daughter works with a lady whose mother is Chinese...she has lived here for over 50 years...she can't speak English.
I see that a lot too. If you always live with your own people, I can see how you would never learn English. Chinese newspapers, stores, landlords, schools, TV, etc., etc.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:48 pm
Banned

Maud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Toronto
So you live in Canada, not NJ? (Or maybe you are visiting there.)
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

When we first moved to the U.S. we lived in a new purpose built apartment building. The owner of the building and all the surrounding land for miles and miles was a Polish guy. All the workers on his properties were Polish...99% could not speak English apart from 'hi'. Many had lived in the U.S. for decades. They were all extended family or extended family of friends.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So you live in Canada, not NJ? (Or maybe you are visiting there.)
We are currently spending time in Toronto...at least while the weather is warm.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed and full of admiration for the many people who come here with limited or no English. I cannot imagine navigating through the difficulties of emigration and life here in general without English.
Many live in their own communities and never learn to speak English. They rely on others in their community to help them. Here in Toronto my daughter works with a lady whose mother is Chinese...she has lived here for over 50 years...she can't speak English.
A Salvadoran woman has worked for us for 12 years. She's actually been here since 1989. Speaks not a word of English. Furthermore .....she's illiterate in her own language...neither reads nor writes Spanish. Imagine.

And yet..her resourcefulness and relentless determination are amazing. She's had her green card for quite awhile - but citizenship is out of the question because of the above.
Nevertheless - thru her perseverance here in the States - the $$$'s she's sent back to El Salvador through the years have funded her son's education back there...right up through medical school. He's now got a prestigious position as a Doctor back in her home country.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:02 pm
Banned

We are currently spending time in Toronto...at least while the weather is warm.
I have heard it is very nice there.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, because everyone should speak English!
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:07 pm
Banned

Arrow Re: Would you have come to America ...

Originally Posted by MMcD
And yet..her resourcefulness and relentless determination are amazing. She's had her green card for quite awhile - but citizenship is out of the question because of the above.
Nevertheless - thru her perseverance here in the States - the $$$'s she's sent back to El Salvador through the years have funded her son's education back there...right up through medical school. He's now got a prestigious position as a Doctor back in her home country.
Exactly the point of my OP. Citizenship is not out of the question if she speaks Spanish only (depending upon her age or how many years she has been here) but as to her being illiterate, does that preclude citizenship?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Pourquoi?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Pourquoi?
Je ne comprends pas.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Most of the people who live here don't speak English. They speak something an English speaker might be able to understand, but it isn't English.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.