Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you buy an EV?

Would you buy an EV?

Old Aug 11th 2017, 3:40 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you buy an EV?

Originally Posted by mrken30
There are a lot of charging stations around here. You can plug into 110v outlet
We've been spending time in the NYC metropolitan area lately, & we've been absolutely astounded by all the charging stations all of a sudden popping up on the major commuting motorways. ALL the rest stops along the Merritt/Hutch Parkways now have many charging stations.

In fact recently we were hard pressed to find a non-electric parking spot at one highway rest stop so we could use the blurdy toilet. Seemed like at least 80% of the parking was charging slots!

Electric is obviously the way of the future here....
Old Aug 11th 2017, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
We've been spending time in the NYC metropolitan area lately, & we've been absolutely astounded by all the charging stations all of a sudden popping up on the major commuting motorways. ALL the rest stops along the Merritt/Hutch Parkways now have many charging stations.

In fact recently we were hard pressed to find a non-electric parking spot at one highway rest stop so we could use the blurdy toilet. Seemed like at least 80% of the parking was charging slots!

Electric is obviously the way of the future here....
This is what I meant by having front row parking. Sometimes it's much easier to find an EV only parking space. The other types of spaces are those ones where you need a special wheelchair badge. I think they cost around $250 though and it's probably not legal.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Now that you can pickup Leafs for under $7k I have been toying with the idea of getting one for commuting and shopping. One advantage is you can almost always get front row parking, now DEQ testing, no waiting in line for gas. Has anyone else been tempted?
Definitely tempted, if things otherwise go as planned. This wouldn't be the only car in the household, and as such would work perfectly for my commute. Plug in every night and never have to stop at a gas station again!

The catch: My current car is doing fine, has limited resale value, is a fair bit more comfortable than a Leaf, and since I drive only ~7k miles/year I don't spend much money on gas anyway. So the question becomes how much would I value not having to go to a gas station once every couple of weeks...

Used BMW i3s are also getting pretty cheap.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 7:46 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my husband drives a tesla. uses it for commuting every day. we even went to disney Florida in it from Texas. Planned carefully we did the trips between superchargers and took breaks to use restrooms, stretch legs, eat etc and it really wasnt bad.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
my husband drives a tesla. uses it for commuting every day. we even went to disney Florida in it from Texas. Planned carefully we did the trips between superchargers and took breaks to use restrooms, stretch legs, eat etc and it really wasnt bad.
...and should you have found yourself stranded at the vergeside I'm sure an obliging smoke belching truck would have given you a tow, even this Clemson Tiger would have obliged, might have sniggered a bit mind.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:06 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
...and should you have found yourself stranded at the vergeside I'm sure an obliging smoke belching truck would have given you a tow, even this Clemson Tiger would have obliged, might have sniggered a bit mind.
i think tesla have some kind of rescue network thing for stranded cars. plus the dash is giving you constant updates if you are going to go below the threshold for the amount of power you have left if its less then the distance to the next known charger. You can of course charge on a normal domestic power supply but that is super slow. we have had ours 18 months now and my husband loves it.

it also is the fastest car ive ever driven. you put your foot down and its like sh1t of a shovel! no slow wind up - its just moving straight away - gives you g-force lol.

Last edited by MsElui; Aug 14th 2017 at 2:08 am.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MsElui
i think tesla have some kind of rescue network thing for stranded cars. plus the dash is giving you constant updates if you are going to go below the threshold for the amount of power you have left if its less then the distance to the next known charger. You can of course charge on a normal domestic power supply but that is super slow. we have had ours 18 months now and my husband loves it.

it also is the fastest car ive ever driven. you put your foot down and its like sh1t of a shovel! no slow wind up - its just moving straight away - gives you g-force lol.
What sort of connection do you need for the Battery pack, would one of these work?

Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
What sort of connection do you need for the Battery pack, would one of these work?
Took me 2.5 minutes to wipe the coffee off my monitor! LOL!

Ian
Old Aug 17th 2017, 1:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I don't even own an automatic!
Originally Posted by Nutek
.... When do we get to the part where we discuss it's appearance?
I am glad you mentioned that!

Is there some reason why cars get more ugly the less petrol they use? I can't think of any exceptions, with Tesla have gone for the "bar of soap" approach, with their entire range having been styled without the slightest hint of character or distinctive details.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 17th 2017 at 1:33 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
..... I don't even own an automatic!
I thought you had a lawn mower
Old Aug 17th 2017, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chainsaw.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 2:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I do - it's a six-speed manual.
Originally Posted by Boiler
Chainsaw.
The only gear that needs is a helmet, gloves, chaps, and boots.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 17th 2017 at 2:41 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 3:52 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I do - it's a six-speed manual.

The only gear that needs is a helmet, gloves, chaps, and boots.
How many chaps does it take?
Old Aug 17th 2017, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Now that you can pickup Leafs for under $7k I have been toying with the idea of getting one for commuting and shopping. One advantage is you can almost always get front row parking, now DEQ testing, no waiting in line for gas. Has anyone else been tempted?
I had a 3 year lease on a Chevy Spark that I just returned to the dealer. When I got the car 3 years ago I could go 90 miles by the time I turned it in I was lucky to get 68 miles. My commute just to my office and back is 40 miles so if I had anything else to do that day I was really limited. Loved that I never had to go to the gas station and in 3 years never had to take it in for repairs/oil changes, etc like you would for a gas car.

The bonus for an electric car in California is the ability to drive in the car pool lane
Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:50 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I would buy an EV for trips within a range of 50 miles from my home but for long distance road trips I'd need to have a gas burner as a second car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.