Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Working illegally in New York

Working illegally in New York

Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Stuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to all
Default Re: Working illegally in New York

Originally Posted by Ray
Trying to understand this but as English is not your first language
its a bit difficult..
Are you saying you talent are not wanted by the US goverment ..
therefore you cannot get a visa.... that would seem to apply to a
good many people
They do not give visas to hairdressers. Thus i am labeled as unskilled.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

So if you're unskilled and they don't give visas to hairdressers, what was the point of going to the US and working illegally in the "hope of getting a visa"??
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuart
Okay, then tell ne how i should have proven my skills?
By showing them a piece of paper with my skills listed? Or by doing it?

No decent hair salon/hair team will take you by face value and by just a bunch of certificates.

Like i have stated i worked mainly for free, at private photo shoots and only got paided my cost. Say a taxi fare or some lunch money.
If the model wants to tip me, i am not going to say no thanks, Uncle Sam would not approve.
I had to prove i was worth the hassle of getting a visa for, that i was worth investing in.
Simple enough?
Perhaps you couldn't have shown them your skills in person. Oh wait - noone else gets to do that LEGALLY.

Working mainly for free = sometimes not for free. ILLEGAL.

I "had to prove...." No you didn't. You could have stayed home, unles syou found a way to come work here LEGALLY.

You "had no choice" "had to" etc. only in order to go ahead and get what you wanted - noone was holding a gun to your head.

Just as illegal as the poor Mexicans who sneak in over the border - but actually worse imo, since they have very few options at home - and you just wanted what you wanted.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No. If i remeber you joined this thread stating that as i was from the "styx" i was from the "underworld" "Colloquially speaking, away from civilization" I would call that a cheap shot.
Actually, I was correcting your spelling. You said you "live in the sticks". I gave you the proper spelling and a bit of history. You read into my response, something that wasn't even there! So, I wonder whose "level of intelligence" is more challenged!

See, two can play this game
You're certainly trying to play... but that's not the same as really playing! You seem to think that "almost good enough" is the same as "good enough". It's not.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Actually, I was correcting your spelling. You said you "live in the sticks". I gave you the proper spelling and a bit of history. You read into my response, something that wasn't even there! So, I wonder whose "level of intelligence" is more challenged!

You're certainly trying to play... but that's not the same as really playing! You seem to think that "almost good enough" is the same as "good enough". It's not.

Ian
He seems to think almost legal is the same as really legal too.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by augigi
So if you're unskilled and they don't give visas to hairdressers, what was the point of going to the US and working illegally in the "hope of getting a visa"??
The US embasey told us we would qualify. They were wrong.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

They do not give visas to hairdressers. Thus i am labeled as unskilled.
My skills would never get me a visa ...You adapt, overcome, improvise
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
No you were not giving out a spelling lesson you were trying to be funny and insulted me. I know what you meant by your spelling. However you took what i said and made a poor joke.
The sticks, i wrote that way because of the sticks on the trees, and that is the way it is spelt here.
Who gives a pony how you choose to spell it.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Working illegally in New York

Lack of Health Insurance would also be a major hurdle to overcome. She may be young, but, if she gets knocked up or suffers any injury......she will be up sh*t creek without a paddle.......and then deported.

Jim.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
Perhaps you couldn't have shown them your skills in person. Oh wait - noone else gets to do that LEGALLY.

Working mainly for free = sometimes not for free. ILLEGAL.

I "had to prove...." No you didn't. You could have stayed home, unles syou found a way to come work here LEGALLY.

You "had no choice" "had to" etc. only in order to go ahead and get what you wanted - noone was holding a gun to your head.

Just as illegal as the poor Mexicans who sneak in over the border - but actually worse imo, since they have very few options at home - and you just wanted what you wanted.
You know nothing about my industry and how it works.
If i wanted to do that job, i had to style hair and do what i do.

As i said before i entered legally and left legally.

Yes i wanted the chance to better myself and that was the way i did it.

As i said before it cost the U.S nothing.

Next time you do something for free be sure to tell the IRS or who ever files your tax.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Lack of Health Insurance would also be a major hurdle to overcome. She may be young, but, if she gets knocked up or suffers any injury......she will be up sh*t creek without a paddle.......and then deported.

Jim.
Actually, I don't think hospitals would turn her in to immigration.

Still isn't a good plan though.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You know nothing about my industry and how it works.
If i wanted to do that job, i had to style hair and do what i do.

As i said before i entered legally and left legally.

Yes i wanted the chance to better myself and that was the way i did it.

As i said before it cost the U.S nothing.

Next time you do something for free be sure to tell the IRS or who ever files your tax.
I don't need to know anything about your industry - it's irrelevant. The key point is you saying "If I wanted to do that job..." It's about what you wanted.

You didn't HAVE to do anything - you wanted to.

Yes, you entered legally and left legally - you just worked ILLEGALLY in between. In fact, even volunteer work for which people would ordinarily be paid is ILLEGAL without a visa.

There are plenty of laws that if broken don't cost the US anything - but it's still illegal.

IRS doesn't care about something I do free - and the IRS doesn't have anything to do about immigration. Unlike you, I do follow our laws.

You keep trying to justify your ILLEGAL employment by saying you "had to". Ridiculous.

Edit: Actually, if you entered intending to work - you did enter illegally.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
I don't need to know anything about your industry - it's irrelevant. The key point is you saying "If I wanted to do that job..." It's about what you wanted.

You didn't HAVE to do anything - you wanted to.

Yes, you entered legally and left legally - you just worked ILLEGALLY in between. In fact, even volunteer work for which people would ordinarily be paid is ILLEGAL without a visa.

There are plenty of laws that if broken don't cost the US anything - but it's still illegal.

IRS doesn't care about something I do free - and the IRS doesn't have anything to do about immigration. Unlike you, I do follow our laws.

You keep trying to justify your ILLEGAL employment by saying you "had to". Ridiculous.

Edit: Actually, if you entered intending to work - you did enter illegally.
No. I have not said what i did was legal. I know what i did was illegal.
I hold my hand up to that.
My point is that you have compared me to the illegal immigrants who come to the UK (and USA) to defraud the system of money.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No. I have not said what i did was legal. I know what i did was illegal.
I hold my hand up to that.
My point is that you have compared me to the illegal immigrants who come to the UK (and USA) to defraud the system of money.
I don't think I personally said you were trying to defraud anyone.

If you agree it was illegal, great - I'll say no more.

For the record, most illegal immigrants to the US, from Mexico, come here to work and try to have a better life, rather than to defraud the govt. Imo anyway.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It is a good comparison. Sure, there are differences. But none that I can think of in your favour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.