Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

"work to live" vs "live to work"

"work to live" vs "live to work"

Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:49 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "work to live" vs "live to work"

Originally Posted by Primula
^What kind of music do you make?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=137
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:51 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

^Is one of those guys Sultan of Swing?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
That answers it pretty well!

I make my money playing covers though, needless to say.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

^Is one of those guys Sultan of Swing?
I'm the bald one.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:55 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm the bald one.
You should have said I'm the cute one!

Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:00 am
I have a comma problem

You should have said I'm the cute one!

I'm sure my bandmate will be glad to hear that

He isn't playing on the song. All my YouTube videos have photos of old gigs and that because all the songs were recorded before I moved here and no videos exist of me playing them. All the music is played by me.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
All the music is played by me.
Good stuff!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:06 am
I have a comma problem

Good stuff!
Cheers. Of course now I want to rewrite half of those old ones but that's because I haven't finished any of my new ones.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:26 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elop
After reading many of the threads over the past couple of months I've seen many people compare the work ethics of UK/US in terms of living to work and working to live so I thought the topic deserved its own thread.
In most (all?) cases people seem to favour working to live. Am I the only one who prefers to live to work?

Maybe my understanding is different from others:

work to live:
don't particularly want to work but are forced to to "stay alive"
if suddenly won the lottery would not be working, or doing anything similar to work.
very clear business/pleasure divide.

live to work:
Most would still need the money, but is not the main incentive.
Enjoys job - would volunteer for extra work etc...
If suddenly won the lottery would probably still be doing the same thing (but perhaps slightly less)

Have I completely missed the point somewhere?
Not completely, but I would say mischaracterized it in places.

Work to live:

Most people to varying degrees, even those who enjoy what they are doing.

Live to work:

Show signs of addiction. Those are the ones who suffer personally - marriages, families, can't retire, etc.

I love the industry I'm in, and (for the most part) I love my job. I happen to also be in an industry that is well paid, but I don't go into work for the money. I wouldn't volunteer for extra work, but if sh!t needs doing then and there, I'll do a 12 hour day, work a weekend, get to the heliport & stay up 48 hours when I thought it was just going to be another day when I need to. But it has to be worth it - I won't do it because it is expected or I need to. I would say that is drive as opposed to an addiction, and that is the bit you miss out.

People are driven to do all sorts of things - play instruments well, improve their golf game, play footy. Living for it is an entirely different thing - change the word work for alcohol or cocaine or gambling and see what you think of. I wouldn't call any of that positive.

My tuppence, anyway...
Old Apr 28th 2012, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

elop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I'll do a 12 hour day, work a weekend, get to the heliport & stay up 48 hours when I thought it was just going to be another day when I need to. But it has to be worth it - I won't do it because it is expected or I need to.
Yes I agree, but doesn't that apply to everyone? If you don't enjoy the work, or the money then there is no incentive - there has to be at least one of those, in whichever category - preferably both, but I understand that it is not always the case

I would say that is drive as opposed to an addiction, and that is the bit you miss out.
I get the impression you're describing mainly office jobs. I could see it as an addition if someone were working in the most depressive of offices with no natural light and somehow they still wanted to work extra even without money incentives. Addiction is where you're doing something you hate, but you think you like it and need it. I recently discovered that I don't actually like smoking and yet I do it anyway and quite frequently...that's addiction. So personally I would say that work to live would be closer to addition as its not really something you want to do.

If a mechanic tinkered with cars outside his core hours, people wouldn't call him driven or addicted, but his activities would probably be seen as a hobby - therefore given his job involves the same it is also his hobby. Why would this concept not apply if the tinkering happens in an office, rather than a garage - that's just geography.

People are driven to do all sorts of things - play instruments well, improve their golf game, play footy. Living for it is an entirely different thing
I don't really understand the difference. No matter what people do it won't be the only thing that they do. Perhaps its a 21st century thing where life is only considered things that don't involve sitting in front of a screen. Damn, I'm starting to sound old, I'm only 30, I swear
I also do things outside work but I see living as both.

- change the word work for alcohol or cocaine or gambling and see what you think of. I wouldn't call any of that positive.
Let me give that a try.....
I went into the office today to do some cocaine, but there was no one there due to the weekend so I went home and I as able to do at least 4 hours of cocaine without interruption which I then emailed to my cocaine manager ready for a full day of cocaine on Monday.....oh dear....

One last thought.... if you met someone for the first time and they asked you to describe your life....would you start to describing the golf that you do every other Sunday, or the work that you do everyday? If the latter, wouldn't that imply that work is the main part of your life?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 8:28 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree, but doesn't that apply to everyone? If you don't enjoy the work, or the money then there is no incentive - there has to be at least one of those, in whichever category - preferably both, but I understand that it is not always the case

I get the impression you're describing mainly office jobs. I could see it as an addition if someone were working in the most depressive of offices with no natural light and somehow they still wanted to work extra even without money incentives. Addiction is where you're doing something you hate, but you think you like it and need it. I recently discovered that I don't actually like smoking and yet I do it anyway and quite frequently...that's addiction. So personally I would say that work to live would be closer to addition as its not really something you want to do.

If a mechanic tinkered with cars outside his core hours, people wouldn't call him driven or addicted, but his activities would probably be seen as a hobby - therefore given his job involves the same it is also his hobby. Why would this concept not apply if the tinkering happens in an office, rather than a garage - that's just geography.

I don't really understand the difference. No matter what people do it won't be the only thing that they do. Perhaps its a 21st century thing where life is only considered things that don't involve sitting in front of a screen. Damn, I'm starting to sound old, I'm only 30, I swear
I also do things outside work but I see living as both.

Let me give that a try.....
I went into the office today to do some cocaine, but there was no one there due to the weekend so I went home and I as able to do at least 4 hours of cocaine without interruption which I then emailed to my cocaine manager ready for a full day of cocaine on Monday.....oh dear....

One last thought.... if you met someone for the first time and they asked you to describe your life....would you start to describing the golf that you do every other Sunday, or the work that you do everyday? If the latter, wouldn't that imply that work is the main part of your life?
you don't need to enjoy the work or the money for an incentive to work. How about living expenses? Or were you born with the silver spoon in your mouth?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
you don't need to enjoy the work or the money for an incentive to work. How about living expenses? Or were you born with the silver spoon in your mouth?
Errrr....living expenses are from money (last I checked), and I've already mentioned money as an incentive. Unless you have both money and living expenses as seperate incentives, in which case I may not be the one with the proverbial silver spoon
Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

"Describe your life" is too vague. If someone asked me to "describe your life", I would say "my life is really great, I'm very happy, I have very few worries and stresses, and I feel my life is very well-balanced." I wouldn't offhand mention either work nor hobbies in answer to that question. The question would have to be more specific, actually asking about one or the other, in order to provoke a response describing my work vs my hobbies.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I was raised with a VERY strong work ethic and when I lost my job a few years ago and the ensuing struggle to find another one really shook me up. If I were more of a homebody it would have been easier, but I'm not so it sucked.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
"Describe your life" is too vague. If someone asked me to "describe your life", I would say "my life is really great, I'm very happy, I have very few worries and stresses, and I feel my life is very well-balanced." I wouldn't offhand mention either work nor hobbies in answer to that question. The question would have to be more specific, actually asking about one or the other, in order to provoke a response describing my work vs my hobbies.

Rene
the question is vague for a reason-you've just met. i think the question youve answered is...how are you?

another way of asking is....who are you, or what's ur story and questions to the same effect...
i would normally expect something like....i'm a police officer/bartender etc....rather than place of birth or wellbeing.

when i meet someone the question i'm normally asked after my name is what i do for which my answer would be as above.

what would your first question/expected answer be after you find out only someones name....lets assume from their accent its obvous where they're from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.