Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

"work to live" vs "live to work"

"work to live" vs "live to work"

Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "work to live" vs "live to work"

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Morons' Monday ... Twatty Tuesday ... Wankers' Wednesday ... Thickos' Thursday ... Fukcwits' Friday ... Sadsacks' Saturday ... Simpletons' Sunday.
Ooh I need your crabbiness, baby, eight days a week.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If it was able to be done on my terms, it wouldn't be work. The only time something vocational like music becomes 'work' is when someone else sticks their neb in and makes it about them.
But, unless one is at the level of, say, a Bob Dylan or a Barbra Streisand who can call their own shots, isn't even music always on someone else's terms when it is a means of earning a living as opposed to being a hobby? The record company's, the promoter's? Even the local municipality that imposes the curfew at the live show? The union local that says the road crew can't do this or that? And in the olden days the radio station that said the track was too long to be played on the air? It's always something, whatever the job!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But, unless one is at the level of, say, a Bob Dylan or a Barbra Streisand who can call their own shots, isn't even music always on someone else's terms when it is a means of earning a living as opposed to being a hobby? The record company's, the promoter's? Even the local municipality that imposes the curfew at the live show? The union local that says the road crew can't do this or that? And in the olden days the radio station that said the track was too long to be played on the air? It's always something, whatever the job!
There's a degree of flexibility for the weekend warrior - I can choose whether or not I want to do a gig because my living doesn't depend on it (though I rarely turn one down). I'd lose that flexibility if I went pro.

However - by maintaining a day job, I can still write songs and get them out there myself. With sites like you tube and facebook, self-promotion via the internet is actually a viable option for those that can support themselves via other means, therefore bypassing the need to deal with the Simon Cowells of the world ...
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:08 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elop
Maybe my understanding is different from others:

work to live:
don't particularly want to work but are forced to to "stay alive"
if suddenly won the lottery would not be working, or doing anything similar to work.
very clear business/pleasure divide.

live to work:
Most would still need the money, but is not the main incentive.
Enjoys job - would volunteer for extra work etc...
If suddenly won the lottery would probably still be doing the same thing (but perhaps slightly less)

Have I completely missed the point somewhere?
I absolutely fu(king loathe the expression "live to work / work to live". Its such a complete and utter shite attempt to white-wash the fact that working is nothing more than theft and buggery of your time on this planet.

Work to Live = Work pays your cost of living.
Live to Work = Work defines your way of life.

Also, its rather amusing that people who quote that expression are usually trying to convince themselves of it.

I find its more accurate and thought provoking to discuss work in terms of "cost of living" and "way of life". Much more revealing........
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:10 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

There's a degree of flexibility for the weekend warrior - I can choose whether or not I want to do a gig because my living doesn't depend on it (though I rarely turn one down). I'd lose that flexibility if I went pro.
You'd also lose your house.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

However - by maintaining a day job, I can still write songs and get them out there myself. With sites like you tube and facebook, self-promotion via the internet is actually a viable option for those that can support themselves via other means, therefore bypassing the need to deal with the Simon Cowells of the world ...
That's what I mean -- as you say your income doesn't depend on it, so it is a whole different ballgame when music is something you love to do, and not your living.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
You'd also lose your house.
Bastard

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That's what I mean -- as you say your income doesn't depend on it, so it is a whole different ballgame when music is something you love to do, and not your living.
Right. I'd be worried that I'd not love music anymore if it became 'work' as opposed to that thing I do to help me forget how mind-numbingly depressing it is that I have to work in the first place ...
Old Apr 27th 2012, 4:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elop
work to live:
don't particularly want to work but are forced to to "stay alive"
if suddenly won the lottery would not be working, or doing anything similar to work.
very clear business/pleasure divide.

live to work:
Most would still need the money, but is not the main incentive.
Enjoys job - would volunteer for extra work etc...
If suddenly won the lottery would probably still be doing the same thing (but perhaps slightly less)
Interesting question. I think I work to live. I love my job, but I wouldn't do it for free. If I won the lottery, I'd still work, but less (I'd get bored doing nothing at all). I do have a clear business/pleasure divide. My daily grind work (which I happen to enjoy - at least I don't hate it) pays my bills and gives me the spending money to do what I enjoy outside of work. I have a part-time job that I also love, and would do for free (but I happen to get paid for it).

At least for this forum, I hope its fair to assume that most people chose what they wanted to study/learn at some point, whether by professional education, or otherwise. With that assumption in mind, you should be doing what you've wanted to do, rather than forced into a profession - unless it was a wrong decision, of course.
I was sort of forced into a full time desk job due to the circumstances of my life at the time I took this job. I ended up like it and loving the company, and have stuck with it 22 years now, and will most likely retire from this company, if they keep me around that long! I chose to study/learn something else entirely, back in college, but in the real world that didn't earn enough stable income to support myself, thus the regular desk job. I still do the work that I studied for and love, but I do it part time, so it's more like a hobby that I also get some side money for.

Also, my personality is such that if I start thinking of the hobbies I enjoy as "work", I suddenly don't like them as well. "Work" should be one thing, "pleasure" should be my hobbies that I enjoy outside of work. As soon as a hobby becomes something I MUST do in order to survive (i.e. regular hours, paycheck, demands made on my time), I don't enjoy it anymore...

I definitely need to be doing *something*, I can't just sit around. I hope I'm healthy enough in my retirement years to do lots of traveling, as that is what I miss most about having a "work to live" life.

Oops, I just read the beginning of this thread....for the record, I'm a USC (not a Brit ExPat).

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 27th 2012 at 4:45 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

elop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Also, my personality is such that if I start thinking of the hobbies I enjoy as "work", I suddenly don't like them as well. "Work" should be one thing, "pleasure" should be my hobbies that I enjoy outside of work. As soon as a hobby becomes something I MUST do in order to survive (i.e. regular hours, paycheck, demands made on my time), I don't enjoy it anymore...
Interesting, so theoretically speaking, if your employer were to pay you for what you consider "pleasure", you would become more productive at what you consider work, and be willing to do it for free? So you would be doing more work but loving it, getting paid the same amount, but in a different way. Nothing beats a bit of reverse psychology

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Oops, I just read the beginning of this thread....for the record, I'm a USC (not a Brit ExPat).
Rene
From the looks of your signature, it looks like you immigrated to the US not too long ago
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From the looks of your signature, it looks like you immigrated to the US not too long ago[/QUOTE]

I'm the USC spouse. My husband immigrated to the USA in 2004. Unlike me, he lives to work...definitely loves what he does, and is a workaholic! He repairs antique oriental rugs.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2012, 10:31 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

therefore bypassing the need to deal with the Simon Cowells of the world ...
It worked for Susan Boyle.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:35 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Primula
It worked for Susan Boyle.
She's arguably a better singer than I am, plus I write my own material and I'm less likely to 'toe the line' than the x-factor crowd are ...
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:39 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

She's arguably a better singer than I am, plus I write my own material and I'm less likely to 'toe the line' than the x-factor crowd are ...
I saw her recently in this documentary. I don't care for her singing at all, but it was nice to learn something of her life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094947/
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:44 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Primula
I saw her recently in this documentary. I don't care for her singing at all, but it was nice to learn something of her life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094947/
She's not my cup of tea musically but she can hold a tune. I do alright, though. Well enough to make a few extra bob spending money every month anyway
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:47 pm
Banned

^What kind of music do you make?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.