Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Windshield claim on insurance

Windshield claim on insurance

Old Aug 10th 2017, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Windshield claim on insurance

Has anyone claimed for a cracked windshield on their insurance? If so did it count as a claim and cause your premiums to go up. I know in the UK if you claimed it did not affect the premiums. The US may be quite different. I can always just pay the $700+ out of pocket.

Last edited by mrken30; Aug 10th 2017 at 3:04 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windshield claim on insurance

Originally Posted by mrken30
Has anyone claimed for a cracked windshield on their insurance? If so did it count as a claim and cause your premiums to go up. I know in the UK if you claimed it did not affect the premiums. The US may be quite different.
Claimed it often over the years and no, my premiums never went up. I always carried full glass coverage (I know most people think I waste money) but was great to make the call, they come to you to replace the window, and your insurance premium remains the same.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 3:05 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a cracked windshield last year, AAA Texas wanted the deductible paid and would have counted it as a claim.

Ended up finding a mobile installation engineer who charged me $250 for the new windshield and drove to me to install it.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 4:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I had a cracked windshield last year, AAA Texas wanted the deductible paid and would have counted it as a claim.

Ended up finding a mobile installation engineer who charged me $250 for the new windshield and drove to me to install it.
I had GEICO when I needed to have my windshield replaced when it was hit and cracked when a rock was thrown up by a truck and a window replaced when someone broke into my car and never was counted as a claim. I would not have added that provision to my policy if that were the case. For a few $ more, I have no deductible. Having been a single mom and living often paycheck to paycheck it was worth the few dollars to once a year not to have to shell out hundreds on a broken window.

Were you claiming the window as part of your comprehensive portion of the policy?
Old Aug 10th 2017, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It appears optional glass coverage is State dependent. This is what my insurer has to say.
Full glass coverage may be available in some states as part of your comprehensive coverage
Old Aug 10th 2017, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone claimed for a cracked windshield on their insurance? If so did it count as a claim and cause your premiums to go up.
I can't speak about other states, but in KY and WV if your windshield is cracked or damaged you can get it repaired or replaced at no cost and it's automatically covered by the car insurance without raising your premiums. There isn't even a need to explain what happened. The joys of living in coal mining country where wayward chunks of coal fall at random on major roads and Interstates!

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2017, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just found a site that describes all the different glass coverage options in the different States.

State Laws on windshield replacement & repair
Old Aug 11th 2017, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually headed to the local windshield place in the morning, weather permitting, to have a small spiderweb crack repaired.

Mt insurance doesn't cover it (eSurance), but it's only $60 for the repair or $270 of I have to get a new one, so not too worried.

That's for a Ford Edge without rain sensors, so curious as to what costs $700!!
Old Aug 11th 2017, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I got a quote for just under $500 by shopping around. I guess minivans have large windshield. The $700 quote was from safelite. I think the $700 quote was an OEM replacement. I think we are going to go through insurance with having a $250 deductible.

I have a 6 inch crack, I missed the chip maybe, it was hiding just below the wiper blades
Old Aug 11th 2017, 3:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602

This!

A windshield costs less than our deductible, so there is no point in claiming. We save more on the insurance every year than a windshield costs, and even allowing for the windshields we have had to replace, we are substantially ahead by taking the higher deductible and having to buy our own windshields.
I got a quote for just under $500 by shopping around. I guess minivans have large windshield. The $700 quote was from safelite. I think the $700 quote was an OEM replacement. I think we are going to go through insurance with having a $250 deductible. ....
It is likely brand more than size - a new windshield for my F250 is about half the cost of one for our Accord. IIRC the windshield for the Mustang, which is pretty small, smaller than for the Accord, is about the same cost as for the F250.
.... Full glass coverage may be available in some states as part of your comprehensive coverage
But, in NC at least, the full deductible still applies, unlike (my experience) in the UK where a new windscreen had a much smaller deductible.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 11th 2017 at 3:14 am.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I got a quote for just under $500 by shopping around. I guess minivans have large windshield. The $700 quote was from safelite. I think the $700 quote was an OEM replacement. I think we are going to go through insurance with having a $250 deductible.

I have a 6 inch crack, I missed the chip maybe, it was hiding just below the wiper blades
I just got the OH's done through Geico. They said the charge would have been $240, on a Sante Fe, but they picked up the entire amount.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I just got the OH's done through Geico. They said the charge would have been $240, on a Sante Fe, but they picked up the entire amount.
I don't understand why the quotes I am getting are so high. Does it work like health insurance where insurance companies get a discount on the price? I will do some more shopping I guess.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why the quotes I am getting are so high. Does it work like health insurance where insurance companies get a discount on the price? I will do some more shopping I guess.
Safelite was the company Geico used, so maybe the price is negotiated, but a friend of mine paid for his own repair once and Safelite quoted about the same on a Corolla.

$700 sounds quite high.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 11:40 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Had front and side glass replaced on a couple of vehicles, all covered on insurance, no effect on premiums. No deductible.

Surprisingly painless.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

id wonder if my throwing a log through the rear window would make my old truck a total loss, anyway here it is common issue and I think 4 in my time here and no insurance impact, zero excess.

Invoice for last one was about $600, had a sliding window mind you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.