Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Americans don't like Obamacare

Originally Posted by robin1234
The New Yorker had a very good article about end-of-life dilemmas a few months ago. It is one in the series of articles by Atul Gawande; well worth reading
I started reading it ... I had tears running down my face at the end of page one and I need to deal with people here in the office ... I need to read this at home in private. But it does deserve to be read ...
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The conclusion of the piece says:
"..these persistent achievement gaps demonstrate the limits of schools to compensate for problems outside the classroom -- broken homes, street violence, indifference to education -- that discourage learning and inhibit teaching. As child-psychologist Jerome Kagan points out, a strong predictor of children's school success is the educational attainment of their parents. The higher it is, the more parents read to them, inform and encourage them.

For half a century, successive waves of "school reform" have made only modest headway against these obstacles. It's an open question whether the present "reform" agenda, with its emphasis on teacher accountability, will do better. What we face is not an engineering problem; it's overcoming the legacy of history and culture. The outcome may affect our economic competitiveness less than our success at creating a just society. "

If it is racial, it is also economic and social. I've attended elementary schools in the US, Canada and Spain; there was definitely more social and economic diversity in my US classes. What Samuelson writes makes sense to me. I don't think he is saying 'oh, the white kids are measuring up so let's forget the whole thing', he's saying, you can't lay all of this at the feet of the teachers.
The opening of the paragraph I quoted above begins "Americans have an extravagant faith in the ability of education to solve all manner of social problems. In our mind's eye, schools are engines of progress that create opportunity and foster upward mobility."
Schools and curriculum may not be the best place to address the social problems that are holding some students far behind.
Just like law enforcement personnel are not mental health workers (or firemen medical technicians.. oh wait, they are now).

One of the biggest problems teachers face is the refusal on the part of parents to accept responsibility or to make their kids accept responsibility. A far cry from when I attended High School. Discipline is absent. And yet there have been areas where all of those social ills have been overcome and the kids have learned and succeeded beyond any outsiders expectation of them. I do not accept the submission to accepted failure. I disagree with the authors comment about the educational system solving social ills because it assumes that the role is to solve them rather than overcome them. There are some shining examples of overcoming them and providing achievement to students who are victims of those social ills. What is lacking is the commitment and funding on the part of States to implement the necessary changes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-culture.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=113683847

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/opinion/08brooks.html
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
The New Yorker had a very good article about end-of-life dilemmas a few months ago. It is one in the series of articles by Atul Gawande; well worth reading
Thanks for posting the link. It was definitely worth reading.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I started reading it ... I had tears running down my face at the end of page one and I need to deal with people here in the office ... I need to read this at home in private. But it does deserve to be read ...
Wow. That article should be required reading for anyone who uses the term 'Death Panels'. Very informative. I haven't cried that much in as long as I can remember.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Michael
The Swiss have universal health care that is nearly 100% private. All Swiss residents (including retirees) are required to purchase health insurance from private health insurance companies. The cost is based on the families income and can't exceed 10% of their income with the remainder being paid by the Swiss government. The poorest of the residents have their health insurance paid 100% by the government. All doctors and hospitals are private and bill the insurance companies for services rendered.

It is very similar to the US health care reform.

Michael's point here is a good one. Having experienced the UK, Swiss and now US systmens of healthcare, I can say that whilst no system appears perfect, the Swiss get closer than the others. It really works very well - there is universal coverage, high quality preventative care, very quick access, private service avaialble and (very) profitable providors - and the doctors like it too.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swisstony
Michael's point here is a good one. Having experienced the UK, Swiss and now US systmens of healthcare, I can say that whilst no system appears perfect, the Swiss get closer than the others. It really works very well - there is universal coverage, high quality preventative care, very quick access, private service avaialble and (very) profitable providors - and the doctors like it too.
The Swiss model is what the US should have aimed for imo. But it has a level of regulation on health insurance companies that the lobbyists would have fought tooth and nail here.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
One of the biggest problems teachers face is the refusal on the part of parents to accept responsibility or to make their kids accept responsibility. A far cry from when I attended High School. Discipline is absent. And yet there have been areas where all of those social ills have been overcome and the kids have learned and succeeded beyond any outsiders expectation of them. I do not accept the submission to accepted failure. I disagree with the authors comment about the educational system solving social ills because it assumes that the role is to solve them rather than overcome them. There are some shining examples of overcoming them and providing achievement to students who are victims of those social ills. What is lacking is the commitment and funding on the part of States to implement the necessary changes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-culture.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=113683847

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/opinion/08brooks.html

It's like we're having two different conversations.

I'm afraid I won't be keeping mine going today especially as we're OT to the thread.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

One point I just wanted to make:

The shootings in Arizona prove to me beyond any shadow of a doubt that the US healthcare system is not a "system", it's just an ad hoc mess.

That guy should have been locked up in a mental hospital or at least on serious medication, the number of people who noticed he was a nutcase over the years was enormous but yet he appears to have not received any medical attention for it. The guy who shot up Virginia Tech had actually been involuntarily committed at one point and then released.

In pretty much any other developed country he would have been detained for mental health issues. Now they're going to prosecute him and lock him up forever, when there is a possibility with proper medical care he might have been okay. (Arizona does not have a "not guilty by reason of insanity" defence, note.)

BTW, as far as Switzerland goes I noticed that prescriptions there were pretty expensive, but in the US they're insanely expensive.

Apparently the US has a military budget eight or nine times larger than China, time to spend some of that money on healthcare, I think.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The shootings in Arizona prove to me beyond any shadow of a doubt that the US healthcare system is not a "system", it's just an ad hoc mess.

In pretty much any other developed country he would have been detained for mental health issues. Now they're going to prosecute him and lock him up forever, when there is a possibility with proper medical care he might have been okay. (Arizona does not have a "not guilty by reason of insanity" defence, note.)
The shooter can and doubtless will be tried under both federal and state law. I can't remember the jurisdiction or the crime, but it was held legal in another case that a death row inmate, whose sentence had been suspended because he was truly insane, could be put to death because he was taking medication that seemed to do the job of making him sane. Yes, the shooter should have been sectioned, but I don't know how difficult this is to do under Arizona law.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The shooter can and doubtless will be tried under both federal and state law. I can't remember the jurisdiction or the crime, but it was held legal in another case that a death row inmate, whose sentence had been suspended because he was truly insane, could be put to death because he was taking medication that seemed to do the job of making him sane. Yes, the shooter should have been sectioned, but I don't know how difficult this is to do under Arizona law.
It is not a matter of Arizona law but federal law. In 1975 the supreme court ruled that someone couldn't be confined or treated for mental illness against their will no matter how nutty they are. They can only be confined or treated against their will if a judge or jury determines that the person is an imminent danger to himself or others. When that ruling was made, over 1/2 million mental institution inmates were released to the streets.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The problem with an insanity plea on his behalf, especially given the low success rate of such pleas in Arizona, is the evidence that clearly indicates that he planned the crime and it was not a random act of insanity. This isn't my determination but that of a high profile lawyer who was on CNN the other night. It seems that his clear planning and targeting of the Congresswoman would show, under law, that he had the capacity to understand his crime. They apparently found plenty of evidence of said planning in his home. Of course, a death penalty only means that he would sit on death row for a decade or so during endless appeals. He is subject to the death penalty in both Arizona for the killing of those other than the Congresswoman and the Judge and under the federal charges for those two murders.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
It is not a matter of Arizona law but federal law. In 1975 the supreme court ruled that someone couldn't be confined or treated for mental illness against their will no matter how nutty they are. They can only be confined or treated against their will if a judge or jury determines that the person is an imminent danger to himself or others. When that ruling was made, over 1/2 million mental institution inmates were released to the streets.
It's that 'freedom' thing again. Sometimes we take it too far. Mentally ill people need and deserve quality help and instead are roaming the streets, a danger to themselves, and too often a danger to others. But they are free. Hallelujah.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
One point I just wanted to make:

That guy should have been locked up in a mental hospital or at least on serious medication, the number of people who noticed he was a nutcase over the years was enormous but yet he appears to have not received any medical attention for it. The guy who shot up Virginia Tech had actually been involuntarily committed at one point and then released.
A more basic point is that the chances of him having any health insurance are pretty small: unemployed, no children, not in college means that his access to healthcare probably consisted of the emergency room. Admittedly a lot of people with mental problems won't seek help anyway, but lack of insurance just throws another barrier in the way.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:18 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dakota44
It's that 'freedom' thing again. Sometimes we take it too far. Mentally ill people need and deserve quality help and instead are roaming the streets, a danger to themselves, and too often a danger to others. But they are free. Hallelujah.
Just to balance your extreme characterisation of the position, the opposite end of the spectrum has folks being locked away in loony bins without due process because they made a powerful enemy, or some social worker needed to meet their quota or even, shock horror, because of honest mistakes by well meaning people.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Just to balance your extreme characterisation of the position, the opposite end of the spectrum has folks being locked away in loony bins without due process because they made a powerful enemy, or some social worker needed to meet their quota or even, shock horror, because of honest mistakes by well meaning people.
Or locking up mom or dad when the kids want to get their hands on their money but don't want to wait for them to die. A little senility went a long way to convince doctors that a person was insane during the 1950s/1960s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.