Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When your tooth aches bad, and the ER won't give pain-killers

When your tooth aches bad, and the ER won't give pain-killers

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 11:49 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When your tooth aches bad, and the ER won't give pain-killers

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Fluoride rinses - vey mixed views in dentistry. They won't do any harm. However, since fluoride ions need a particular pH at the tooth surface to be absorbed and since no-one ever tests oral pH, never mind tooth surface pH , I think they're probably a waste of time. I've never given them to my kids or used them. Same argument with the high dose fluoride paste used at the dentists.

BTW. 8th grade chemistry teaches this about fluoride uptake. Not quite sure why the dentists manage to forget about it after years of manufacturer's advertising
Well this is disappointing to hear, since I've spent money on fluoride rinses for years now. That final rinse after brushing & flossing is an entrenched part of my bedtime routine. However, I think it's helped decrease my 'sensitive teeth' issues, which used to be really painful in the winter, so I'll probably continue the habit.

I even weaned the husband off Listerine in favour of fluoride rinse.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Boomhauer
Was wondering how it went with your exam/treatment at Marquette Dental School?
Old Dec 13th 2017, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Boomhauer
Was wondering how it went with your exam/treatment at Marquette Dental School?
Thanks for the check. I haven't been there yet. About 3 weeks ago I got in a serious car wreck, totaled my new truck. ER performed suture above eye. Paramedic and doctor said I was lucky (for escaping serious eye injury). Will visit Marquette for Christmas holidays, or in Jan if the Dental department closes for t holidays.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Thanks for the check. I haven't been there yet. About 3 weeks ago I got in a serious car wreck, totaled my new truck. ER performed suture above eye. Paramedic and doctor said I was lucky (for escaping serious eye injury). Will visit Marquette for Christmas holidays, or in Jan if the Dental department closes for t holidays.
Glad you are OK. By the sounds of it...it could have been much, much worse.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Glad you are OK. By the sounds of it...it could have been much, much worse.
Yeah. Along with the fire-chief (who was the paramedic) and the ER doctor, the ophthalmologist also said I was lucky. Was a high speed t-bone crash, so ER did a CT scan to check for internal bleeding. If it had been my car, I would have been in serious condition and still in the hospital. 7K-8000lbs of truck absorbs a lot more kinetic energy and resisted flipping over.

My slick looking truck, was totaled, only 4 days after buying it Soo glad the other guy was fine.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 9:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Yeah. Along with the fire-chief (who was the paramedic) and the ER doctor, the ophthalmologist also said I was lucky. Was a high speed t-bone crash, so ER did a CT scan to check for internal bleeding. If it had been my car, I would have been in serious condition and still in the hospital. 7K-8000lbs of truck absorbs a lot more kinetic energy and resisted flipping over.

My slick looking truck, was totaled, only 4 days after buying it Soo glad the other guy was fine.
So pleased you're ok. I can well imagine that your teeth went on the back burner so to speak. Sorry about the truck.