Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

When your tooth aches bad, and the ER won't give pain-killers

When your tooth aches bad, and the ER won't give pain-killers

Old Oct 26th 2017, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When your tooth aches bad, and the ER won't give pain-killers

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Yup sounds about right for the implants. I paid for mine and the costs they are quoting you are comparable.

The deep cleaning is another matter. My dentist charges about $200 for a deep clean, $113 for an ordinary clean. However, from the sounds of it your teeth are pretty bad, so don't know what YOUR deep cleaning will entail.

My root canals have cost me about $1,500 I think
I have had a regular clean before but it wasn't a deep clean. Aspen Dental says their deep clean goes into the gums and cleans it .
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It involved cutting the gum and pulling it back to expose the root of the teeth. He can’t remember whether it involved stitching the gum back in place. He had 1/4 of his mouth done at a time...it took several weeks. Don’t know how much it cost as our insurance paid.
Wtaf???? Never heard of such a thing.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:32 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
It's the back tooth on top, not a wisdom tooth as those were pulled out many years ago despite being fine. This one is a molar. It isn't visible but I need it for chewing. Plus the bottom one is fine, so there needs to be a top one for the bottom one to work.

Also I think pulling the molars without putting in an implant will change the shape of the face/jaw eventually as the lower teeth move around due to not having the top teeth to oppose; that's what the dentist said.
I had two lower teeth taken out by an NHS dentist as a teenager. By the time I moved to London at 21 and saw a new dentist, the teeth above had grown long, everything had shifted round on the bottom so I had a big gap on one side and the space on the other side crookedly closed up, and my jaw had a terrible click because I was grinding in a circular manner. It took the dentist in London and then two more in NYC about ten years to get my mouth and jaw sorted out. I then had to have periodontal work, and for the last 20 years have cleanings four times a year, two with the dentist and two with the periodontist. It’s worth every penny as I haven’t had to have any other work done.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:38 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

If it’s the ‘deep cleaning’ my husband had it is ‘root planing’...which involves much more work than regular deep cleaning a dentist performs for a couple of hundred dollars. Root Planing is usually performed by a periodontist and is considered surgery. It involved cutting the gum and pulling it back to expose the root of the teeth. He can’t remember whether it involved stitching the gum back in place. He had 1/4 of his mouth done at a time...it took several weeks. Don’t know how much it cost as our insurance paid.
I had “quadrants” done by the periodontist too. It kind of regenerates bad gums. I had to have tissue transplants in some areas where the gums had really shrunk away from the teeth — they took tissue from the roof of my mouth. Now I floss religiously! And yes, I was definitely stitched up.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I had two lower teeth taken out by an NHS dentist as a teenager. By the time I moved to London at 21 and saw a new dentist, the teeth above had grown long, everything had shifted round on the bottom so I had a big gap on one side and the space on the other side crookedly closed up, and my jaw had a terrible click because I was grinding in a circular manner. It took the dentist in London and then two more in NYC about ten years to get my mouth and jaw sorted out. I then had to have periodontal work, and for the last 20 years have cleanings four times a year, two with the dentist and two with the periodontist. It’s worth every penny as I haven’t had to have any other work done.
Maybe that is why my jaw clicks. I have not had any other issues with the missing teeth, but I never considered (nor did the doctor or dentist who noticed the clicking) the missing teeth to be the cause.

Oh well, implants would never happen due to cost and the clicking I don't even notice.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Unfortunately, I didn't save my bills but I had two extractions last year.

I had insurance so I didn't pay more than a few hundred per tooth. Insurance didn't cover implants though as they are considered aesthetic, so I got a temporary partial dencher.

I had an abcess under an old root canal, and I just have to say .... holy mother of God was that painful before extraction, and it is 100x worse during removal. If you have the option of waiting a few days and taking antibiotics beforehand you will save yourself a lot of pain.
I don't know if I had an abcess but the dentist did say the nerve ending within the tooth was exposed , due to half the tooth missing. That's why I was in pain.

Part of my issue is not taking care of teeth for a very long time and to make matters worse I drink a lot of soda and worse a lot of acidic drinks like Limeade . I am addicted to lime juice and Tonic water.

Dentist did say I should ditch the manual tooth brush and get the electric rotary brush.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Oct 26th 2017 at 4:46 am.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

Philips Sonicare2 are on offer on Amazon right now for $30.
I got one for my wife last week. She says its the best electric toothbrush she's had (and she's tried loads).
Old Oct 26th 2017, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I had an abcess but the dentist did say the nerve ending within the tooth was exposed , due to half the tooth missing. That's why I was in pain.

Part of my issue is not taking care of teeth for a very long time and to make matters worse I drink a lot of soda and worse a lot of acidic drinks like Limeade . I am addicted to lime juice and Tonic water.

Dentist did say I should ditch the manual tooth brush and get the electric rotary brush.
Ah, I missed that part. My second extraction was due to a broken tooth.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
Philips Sonicare2 are on offer on Amazon right now for $30.
I got one for my wife last week. She says its the best electric toothbrush she's had (and she's tried loads).
Agreed.

Edit: I have tried the Oral B rotary toothbrush. It pushed the gum away from my lower front tooth. I wouldn’t use one again...but many love Oral B.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 26th 2017 at 11:27 am.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Agreed.

Edit: I have tried the Oral B rotary toothbrush. It pushed the gum away from my lower front tooth. I wouldn’t use one again...but many love Oral B.
The dentist I went to think the rotary style toothbrush is the way to go because it envelops all sides of the tooth.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

The dentist I went to think the rotary style toothbrush is the way to go because it envelops all sides of the tooth.

I've used an Oral B for years with no ill effects and am very happy with it.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I had a bad back molar like that maybe 15 years ago and got a gold crown. I started going to the school where they train dental hygiene students 25 years ago, and they pretty much saved my teeth (most of them). Even though I'm covered by the dental plan at work I still go there because they're so thorough.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 3:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Bit late to the party, sorry guys. Ex-dental hygienist. I also worked with a Harley Street endodontist for 3.5 years.
How're you doing Boomhauer?

you probably needed antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and pain relief. Followed by root canal when the infection had subsided and then a crown to protect the fragile tooth. Maybe extraction and an implant.
Either way, nothing cheap.
Nice to read that people are getting good advice about not leaving a space after an extraction.
Peeps don't put clove oil near your teeth/gums. It won't help and it might well burn the gums.

And er, when the whole sodding dental world is telling you to avoid drinking sugar/acid drinks, maybe pay attention.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 5:41 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

My US dentist says electric brushes are the best because they don't abrade/damage the tooth enamel, which years of brushing with a hand-held toothbrush will do....

I'm having a hard time switching over to electric (--teeth don't feel as clean!--) but I'm trying.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 6:23 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember - never brush your teeth within an hour of exposure to acids or similar - eg citrus fruit - especially the hard core versions not grown commercially or real tropical limes, they weaken the enamel that brushing then erodes..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.