Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What State.do yeah up.live and what do you love/dislike

What State.do yeah up.live and what do you love/dislike

Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:59 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What State.do yeah up.live and what do you love/dislike

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"half crazy"?
Early days yet though
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

We actually did live in the States 10 years ago now but I very stupidly never became a citizen so we are starting all over again. We lived in Upstate N.Y., Lake George area which is beautiful, I hated winter in N.Y. though.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:08 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Washington
Like: Liberal population (in the West); Dramatic coast to glacier peaks, and desert in the East, - so the landscape.
Dislike: (In the West) too many trees, hiding the landscape; A long way to go to an International important museum or art gallery.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I am a USC but I moved to the State of Mississippi in June of 2016 to be with my husband in the home we purchased as a retirement home. I am originally from the State of New York.

Mississippi is one of the most bigoted and racial areas I have ever been to in my 68 years. There is no diversity here, no culture, and no decent shopping.

Lower New York State is surrounded with areas of beauty, i.e. woodlands, ocean, rivers and lakes for relaxation and exploration, museums of quality, theater, music, etc.

I utterly dislike Mississippi and if hubby dies before me, I will be out of here as soon as he is cremated, the house packed up and listed with a real estate agent. I will return to the NE, preferably to a town north of New York City or in the Finger Lakes region of the State.
I'm sorry Rete but your post really made me

I kind of have a love hate relationship with Texas.

There are some beautiful places to see. There are so many miles of absolutely nothing but hills, mountains or wilderness we love to explore. There is also the gulf coast...with it's humidity and oppressive heat. There is also the crazy gun obsession and the racism, yep it can't be ignored
Old Feb 21st 2017, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

In California I love the food, dislike that we can't afford to buy a house where we live.

Last edited by dj6372; Feb 21st 2017 at 7:12 am. Reason: Spelling!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
Wow I just read the title I put! I promise I am not 12 and can read and write LOL.
I put it down to you typing on your phone and it adding some weird autocorrect and formatting
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I am a USC but I moved to the State of Mississippi in June of 2016 to be with my husband in the home we purchased as a retirement home. I am originally from the State of New York.

Mississippi is one of the most bigoted and racial areas I have ever been to in my 68 years. There is no diversity here, no culture, and no decent shopping.

Lower New York State is surrounded with areas of beauty, i.e. woodlands, ocean, rivers and lakes for relaxation and exploration, museums of quality, theater, music, etc.

I utterly dislike Mississippi and if hubby dies before me, I will be out of here as soon as he is cremated, the house packed up and listed with a real estate agent. I will return to the NE, preferably to a town north of New York City or in the Finger Lakes region of the State.
I guess you're not a fan of cat fish and mud slides
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I guess you're not a fan of cat fish and mud slides
Cat fish is one I just can't get used to. My wife loves it and I don't want to make her feel bad when she makes it but I just can't help notice that it sort of tastes like dirt. I mean, it is a bottom feeder and all, so it's to be expected but still. I really want to like it but it's just one I can't get excited about.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
We actually did live in the States 10 years ago now but I very stupidly never became a citizen so we are starting all over again. We lived in Upstate N.Y., Lake George area which is beautiful, I hated winter in N.Y. though.
Our K-1 marriage took place in Queensbury just outside of Lake George back in '98. It is a beautiful area and was a 1/2 way point between my home in lower NYS and his home in Ottawa. We made great friends up there that we are still in touch with 18 years later. I actually love NY winters.

Nope not a fan of catfish. Tried it once and that was enough. Had to watch the SIL even eat the head. Ugh! Hubby is a gun advocate, as well. We have rifles and guns in our home (properly locked up). And one black neighbor told their son not to associate with us because we were white and whites never did anything good for blacks.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 21st 2017 at 3:24 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Oregon has trees, and trees, and more trees.
Slow drivers, takes an age to get your car filled up, but you can't touch the pump. 55 mph speed limits. Very few mustang drivers, I see more Teslas than Mustangs. Prius drivers in abundance.
Lots of diversity on the restaurant and beer scene.
Close to the ocean.
Soccer, no American Football.
High taxes.
Great scenery.
The natives are a bit slow, fortunately lots of Californian imports.
Corrupt cops.
Lots of GA airports.
Housing was affordable.

All these points can be good or bad, depending on your point of view.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:31 pm
I have a comma problem

Oregon has trees, and trees, and more trees.
And a few more.

No joke though, a lot of evergreens that aren't grown locally by nurseries around here are sourced out of Oregon.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
And a few more.

No joke though, a lot of evergreens that aren't grown locally by nurseries around here are sourced out of Oregon.
30 million acres of forestland
The federal government manages more than 18 million acres (an area nearly equal to that of South Carolina).
The Oregon Department of Forestry manages about 848,000 acres of forestland spread over six large state forests and a few smaller forest tracts.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:39 pm
I have a comma problem

30 million acres of forestland
The federal government manages more than 18 million acres (an area nearly equal to that of South Carolina).
The Oregon Department of Forestry manages about 848,000 acres of forestland spread over six large state forests and a few smaller forest tracts.
Yeah, quite a few trees
Old Feb 21st 2017, 4:18 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

New York State - (Though I've briefly lived in other states as a kid and for University).

Like: The mix of urban/rural areas (30 mins out of NYC and you're in countryside), *real seasons* (not just rain with more sun in the UK), the food and the fact its liberal.

Dislike: Snow, lots of snow (which goes black in NYC after about 10 minutes and becomes an obstacle course to avoid messing up your shoes, clothes.etc), tourists that snarl up foot traffic (though that's a NYC issue rather than town-where-I-live issue), having to fight your way onto the subway, the current situation around Trump Tower.

On a US-Wide note, I *love* the fact that you can get in your car and take a road trip and end up somewhere utterly different from where you live. My latest adventure was to Vermont and it's mountains which were.... gorgeous.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 4:57 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Just living in California is great. California is really what the future world should look like. People of all races, religions and cultures living together peacefully and a liberal live and let live attitude

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.