Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Originally Posted by mrken30
They stopped or cut down using crown vics around here 2 or 3 years ago. I see a lot more SUV type vehicles now.
A lot of the panda cars have been replaced by the newer replacement Ford brought out round here, but those beige Vics are still knocking around. They still use crappy old Explorers in my town for the not-so-subtle radar guy who sits in the car park of the station every morning as well.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That just blows my mind. Bar of chocolate, fine. Even a donut, but they're messy. I'll draw the line at a burger if I'm in a rush and can't physically stop for food somewhere, but to take the time to pour yourself a bowl of cereal and bring it in the car with you is just next level shit
Worst I've seen was some bloke knocking one out in his Merc.

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Unmarked or were you equally distracted and didn't notice?
Yeah, I noticed, as on the previous cycle of the lights I was seventh in line and ready to tailgate through on the tail end if all the cars ahead of me hooked up like a train, but I was cautious enough to be sure to be able to stop if the car in front stopped. Call me old fashioned if you must, but I feel that rear-ending a marked cop car is an especially bad idea.
The cars around here have extra antennas on the roof, so it's easy to tell.
Here the antennas are usually on the boot lid, also the cars are usually Dodges or Chevy's, not so much Fords these days, and if you look closely you can see blue lights in the front and rear windows.
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Everyone knows wankers drive Mercs ...
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:22 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Here the antennas are usually on the boot lid, also the cars are usually Dodges or Chevy's, not so much Fords these days, and if you look closely you can see blue lights in the front and rear windows.
However the car is, they should still get off the bloody computer when the light turns green
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Unmarked cars around here are really easy to identify.

Yeah, you're not fooling anyone with that beige Crown Vic with municipal plates and no hubcaps, Officer Slick.
They're blacked out Ford Escapes in and around town. You can spot the lights tucked into the grill if they're up close but there's no extra antenna. Hard to spot as they have alloy wheels and not the blue municipal plates.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought that was just BMW drivers
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

However the car is, they should still get off the bloody computer when the light turns green
I am trying hard to get roundabouts implemented around here. We have got a few more than we did have.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

However the car is, they should still get off the bloody computer when the light turns green. ....
That was exactly how I came to notice - I was keeping an eye on the progression of the phases of the lights and knew to put my phone away as our phase approached!
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:30 pm
I have a comma problem

I am trying hard to get roundabouts implemented around here. We have got a few more than we did have.
They like them around here, our county has installed a bunch of them. Every intersection they did so at has been improved noticeably.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That was exactly how I came to notice - I was keeping an eye on the progression of the phases of the lights and knew to put my phone away as our phase approached!
Nice one.

I don't know why exactly but it sort of reminds me of the time I was driving up from Dublin airport and I was sitting at about 85 on the M1 when I see a Garda car come up my trumpet and start to flash the headlights at me. I thought I was going to get done, but she just wanted me to get out of her way
Old Feb 28th 2017, 5:48 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

You see a lot of Crown Vics and Mercs driven by the old codgers they call snowbirds in Florida. I saw a couple with oxygen tanks inside attached to the drivers.

Crown Vics here are rapidly being replaced by Ford SUVs for police work or still used as cabbies.

Dodge Chargers are the vehicle of choice used by police where my daughter lives
Old Feb 28th 2017, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not quite the same as the UK police. (Note the NRA poster in the background). The Police here do use the same BMW bikes.

Old Feb 28th 2017, 6:31 pm
I have a comma problem

Not quite the same as the UK police. (Note the NRA poster in the background). The Police here do use the same BMW bikes.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3903/1...87043fd7_b.jpg
That's great and all, but that thing cost so much that they'll never actually use it to chase anyone, so it'll constantly get outrun by chavs in Novas

There was a very informative segment done regarding a solution for cost-effective police cars made by a rather smart trio of, well I don't use the word 'visionaries' lightly, but I think it applies here.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's great and all, but that thing cost so much that they'll never actually use it to chase anyone, so it'll constantly get outrun by chavs in Novas

There was a very informative segment done regarding a solution for cost-effective police cars made by a rather smart trio of, well I don't use the word 'visionaries' lightly, but I think it applies here.
I know they used that car for catching people racing round the M25. The same argument goes for helicopters.

One thing I have not understood in the US is why they don't use high visibility cars like in other countries. A black Police car is not very prominent.

I did ask the local Police why they turn off their sirens when crossing through intersections. Still waiting for my answer, maybe next month when I meet with them.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 6:36 pm
I have a comma problem

I know they used that car for catching people racing round the M25. The same argument goes for helicopters.

One thing I have not understood in the US is why they don't use high visibility cars like in other countries. A black Police car is not very prominent.

I did ask the local Police why they turn off their sirens when crossing through intersections. Still waiting for my answer, maybe next month when I meet with them.
Racing around the M25? Is that even possible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.