British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   What I like about America. [A politics-free thread] (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/what-i-like-about-america-%5B-politics-free-thread%5D-891924/)

Pulaski Feb 21st 2017 12:03 am

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

We can all bang on about large houses, SUVs, cheap gas, and what-have-you, but what do you like about America?

Me, for starters? Steak for breakfast! :)

Jerseygirl Feb 21st 2017 12:06 am

Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12185297)
We can all bang on about large houses, SUVs, cheap gas, and what-have-you, but what do you like about America?

When I lived in NJ...it was Newark Airport! :thumbsup:

dc koop Feb 21st 2017 12:17 am

Waking up in the morning, looking through the kitchen window at the orange and lemon trees in the back yard and then a cup of coffee on the patio, watching the flocks of wild parrots pass overhead and the sun rising over the mountains in the distance. When I go out to pick up the morning paper in the driveway the smile and the wave from a neighbour

Pulaski Feb 21st 2017 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12185300)
When I lived in NJ...it was Newark Airport! .....

I hear it's lovely in the spring time. :lol:

Jerseygirl Feb 21st 2017 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12185309)
I hear it's lovely in the spring time. :lol:

Even better at 35,000 ft in the air.

tom169 Feb 21st 2017 12:26 am

I enjoy how green NC can be and so i'm looking forward to spring time where I can drive along wide roads neatly lined with trees.

I'm sure i'll also enjoy having a plethora of sights to see inside the country and the ease to do so (no forex, easy to hire car etc).

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 21st 2017 12:44 am

Larger selection of places to live offering more opportunity for affordable housing. Affordable flights and travel options. (Note I am comparing these to Canada.)

Boomhauer Feb 21st 2017 6:04 am

What I like about America:

1) Free Speech (no bloody hate-crime bs found in Europe and Canada)
2) Inexpensive cost of living compared to London and many other parts of the world
3) Lots of space .
A person on a working class or middle class paycheck can have a detached home with 2 car garage and lots of yard space. Enough space to build things, set up a hobby shop, work on cars, store recreational vehicles etc..

Having lived in a rowhouse in London and an apartment in the Gulf, I hate living soo close to other people and not having space to do stuff.

Asg123 Feb 21st 2017 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12185420)
A person on a working class or middle class paycheck can have a detached home with 2 car garage and lots of yard space.

Not possible on a working class minimum wage paycheck.

But to say "A person on a middle class paycheck can have a detached home with 2 car garage and lots of yard space" is true.

dj6372 Feb 21st 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12185297)

Smokey little rib shacks, and Taco street vendors!

Anrev Feb 21st 2017 7:15 am

Being able to park so easily at Publix compared to shoe horning my car into Tesco car park.
Also seeing cheeky raccoons and possums.

robin1234 Feb 21st 2017 7:41 am

In general, it'd be the natural world. In New York State I see bears, coyotes, moose, sugar maples and other spectacular fall foliage, loads of spectacular butterflies (monarchs & swallowtails for instance.) Red squirrels, flying squirrels and chipmunks on my deck. All kinds of peepers and tree frogs. Katydids. House crickets :unsure:. Birds (chickadees, robins, orioles, various warblers and finches for starters.)

We have rivers and ponds galore, many close to our house. And a lot of US ponds are bigger than the average British lake..

Wildlife downsides include mosquitoes, deer flies, black flies .....

Beaverstate Feb 21st 2017 8:23 am

My, 12 posts and still on topic, only in America :sarcasm:

rbackhouse Feb 21st 2017 10:30 am

The National Parks (especially Bryce and Zion)

Lion in Winter Feb 21st 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12185454)
In general, it'd be the natural world. In New York State I see bears, coyotes, moose, sugar maples and other spectacular fall foliage, loads of spectacular butterflies (monarchs & swallowtails for instance.) Red squirrels, flying squirrels and chipmunks on my deck. All kinds of peepers and tree frogs. Katydids. House crickets :unsure:. Birds (chickadees, robins, orioles, various warblers and finches for starters.)

We have rivers and ponds galore, many close to our house. And a lot of US ponds are bigger than the average British lake..

Wildlife downsides include mosquitoes, deer flies, black flies .....

Agreed. The physical landscape (not where I live but other bits) is the best thing. Old growth or near old growth forest in the Cascades, the mountains, the Pacific coast up north. There is beautiful scenery in the UK too, but it's harder to find the wild spaces.