Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What gig are you going to?

What gig are you going to?

Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What gig are you going to?

Originally Posted by N1cky

It's the same here, SF/Oakland get everyone. I can't afford to go see everyone if like to. How were the National? Love their stuff, but wondered how they would be live with their material not exactly being upbeat.

The National were fantastic live - 2nd time I'd seen them - I'm a tad obsessed with them tbh!

As we're allowing comedy gigs, we're going to see Russell Howard in a few weeks at a wee place in LA
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:24 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dodgykeeps
The National were fantastic live - 2nd time I'd seen them - I'm a tad obsessed with them tbh!

As we're allowing comedy gigs, we're going to see Russell Howard in a few weeks at a wee place in LA
I might try go see them next time around. They're playing Berkley in a couple of weeks, but the date doesn't work for me.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
How does everyone find out about who's playing?

I've found Pollstar ok but was wondering whether there are any other sites that are better?

While I've been to several gigs since I moved here, they're few and far between as I'm out in the sticks and Boston's a bit of a hike on a school night.

A quick check of Pollstar reveals that Diarrhea Planet are playing near me soon. Never heard of them though, and to be honest they do sound a bit shit.
I use Bands in Town, I think you follow bands that you like and then from those choices others get recommended. There is app for the iphone not sure on Android.

We last saw Imagine Dragons at the the Izod.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I have so many of my own, I never had any time to go see anyone else

The last one I went to was a Mark Knopfler/Bob Dylan double-header in November of 2012, to give you an idea ...
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I saw Meatloaf at Planet Hollywood in Vegas last month. It was a small theatre and I paid double to sit right at the front at a cocktail table, compared to right at the back - which, to be fair, wasn't far away either! Sadly the cocktail waitresses were understaffed and overwhelmed so I got my first drink about halfway through and then a refill during the closing number.

But to see The Man up close - literally lean forward and touch (and get kicked out if I did) - really good. What they call an intimate gig, I believe.

Half tempted to see the Jackon 4 playing in the same theatre.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie Izzard was a bit pricey for us, so not seeing much.

Bangor, ME do a fun folk fest type thing we might try and make and Lowell, MA also has a decent one with a lot of blues and other fun family stuff.

They also do pretty cheap summer gigs, but none of the line up this summer are that appealing.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm getting too old for gigs now. I used to go to loads, especially when i was at university in Manchester during the whole Madchester music scene.
I remember seeing Dave Matthews band in the student union bar.

I live near some large venues (university of phoenix stadium) but to me the concerts are just too expensive unless you want nosebleeds, especially when they add on all the extra fees and stuff.

Some time ago i saw Sting and Annie Lennox at an outdoor amphitheater. Following that i had to take the wife to see Tina Turner

The next gig or show for me is to take the kids to see James and the Giant peach at the Arizona broadway theater
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I think I'm getting too old for gigs now. I used to go to loads, especially when i was at university in Manchester during the whole Madchester music scene.
I remember seeing Dave Matthews band in the student union bar.
There can be some great gigs at student unions. One of the best gigs I have ever been to was Radiohead in the Mandela Hall at Queen's, June 1997 right after OK Computer was released. That was just a brilliant show. Doubly good for me, as I wasn't even at the uni at the time, I was still 17 and had my last A-level the day after the show
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

We had a Mandela Bar at Strathclyde...was a popular name in those days
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:51 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by hotscot
We had a Mandela Bar at Strathclyde...was a popular name in those days
It would be even more cool if Radiohead had done a show in that one, too
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
There can be some great gigs at student unions.
Yep, normally pretty reasonably priced too. Along with the beer, 50p a pint
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:59 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Yep, normally pretty reasonably priced too. Along with the beer, 50p a pint
Yep, except it was £1.00 a pint by the time I started attending university. The Radiohead show was a dry show, which was good because it meant I didn't have to worry about being turned away a mere week before my 18th. It was only about £14.00 though as far as I remember. Talk about value for money
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Kings Of Leon most recently in Philly... more for the wife than myself but they were pretty damn good!

MMR BQ 2014 coming up in 2 weeks at the Susquehanna Bank Center which I'm looking forward to.

Love living near Philly as almost everyone plays here, but starts getting pricey after a while!!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Because of that other thread, I'm planning to see the Aussie Pink Floyd show in Mesa this September.

I have tickets to see a Prince tribute band (Purple Reign) at Planet Hollywood in about 2 weeks. Sounds like that same theater where Meatloaf was playing! I missed seeing Prince himself when he was here in Phoenix last year because I didn't want to pay $250 for a ticket! Now I kinda wish I had, because who knows when he'll be around live again.

Heart is at the very top of my "to see" list, and they were just here in Phoenix this past weekend...BUT it was at Celebrity Theater (which is a pretty old, run-down place), and the cheapest ticket was $80 (including fees). Considering I know people who have seen Heart for $40 at better venues (although not in Phoenix), I couldn't bring myself to pay that much right now.

This coming Friday, Simon Townsend is playing at a very small (300 seat) theater in Phoenix, at the Museum for Musical Instruments. Tickets to that are only $28 for good seats, so I may go to that.

I sometimes get email updates from Ticketmaster, and I tend to just keep an eye on Celebrity Theater (as they bring in lots of older groups that I like, I saw Morris Day and The Time there last year!). Also I belong to a couple of groups on FB so can keep an eye out there. One of the huge parks in my area do summer concerts so I'm on their mailing list. During the past couple of years I've seen The Guess Who, Pat Benatar, Eddie Money, and Styx there, and they were all awesome.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 28th 2014 at 8:17 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
There can be some great gigs at student unions. One of the best gigs I have ever been to was Radiohead in the Mandela Hall at Queen's, June 1997 right after OK Computer was released. That was just a brilliant show. Doubly good for me, as I wasn't even at the uni at the time, I was still 17 and had my last A-level the day after the show
Blur did a unannounced small gig at a local uni once which was cool...and Supergrass and Radiohead both did a gig at my high school, but then they used to go there a few years before I did.

But a gig at school, you can imagine. It was shit...but still cool to catch them playing in the hall live

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.