Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You know it's true, especially in an office environment. I don't know how many instances where I've heard of trust issues. I'm sure every woman has at least been involved in a platonic relationship with another woman and told her something that needed to be kept hush-hush, then to find out the next day it's spread like wildfire. I'm sure you've also been witness to such betrayal as well. One moment you'll hear a woman tell you how cute your purse is just to make you smile and the next you'll hear her by the water cooler about how much of a nitwit you are. It's sad but it's true. I think that's why women like having a gay guy as a friend because we know the betrayal factor isn't there. It's also why I think we're more comfortable in a room of guys, sexist remarks withstanding of course. At least we know where they're coming from. Despite that I do have great girlfriends whom I trust. Just enough to count on one hand.
The nice thing about having a gay man as a friend is getting the male perspective without the man/woman thing (as described by Billy Crystal in When Harry met Sally) messing it up.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:36 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Well it's true.
You know it's true, especially in an office environment. I don't know how many instances where I've heard of trust issues. I'm sure every woman has at least been involved in a platonic relationship with another woman and told her something that needed to be kept hush-hush, then to find out the next day it's spread like wildfire. I'm sure you've also been witness to such betrayal as well. One moment you'll hear a woman tell you how cute your purse is just to make you smile and the next you'll hear her by the water cooler about how much of a nitwit you are. It's sad but it's true. I think that's why women like having a gay guy as a friend because we know the betrayal factor isn't there. It's also why I think we're more comfortable in a room of guys, sexist remarks withstanding of course. At least we know where they're coming from. Despite that I do have great girlfriends whom I trust. Just enough to count on one hand.
Tell me about it
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:38 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

The nice thing about having a gay man as a friend is getting the male perspective without the man/woman thing (as described by Billy Crystal in When Harry met Sally) messing it up.
Exactly! Then there are some of them sooo friggin' hot. You know how some of us want to change a man. If he just gets to know me he'll realize how wonderful I am and how lucky he is to have met me. That's the only complication I can think of.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly! Then there are some of them sooo friggin' hot. You know how some of us want to change a man. If he just gets to know me he'll realize how wonderful I am and how lucky he is to have met me. That's the only complication I can think of.
Thinking Elaine from Seinfeld trying to get the guy to "bat for our team."
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:50 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I highly recommend the book _Cat's Eye_ by Margaret Atwood to anyone who's interested in the girls-stab-each-other-in-the-back theme. If you went through this as a child, as I did, it's especially poignant.

She rexplores this theme in _The Robber's Bride_ in the context of adult women.

As to North v South in the US.... oh my, can of worms. If you ask an American, a lot of the perspective will be coloured by where *they* grew up as well as family ties and personal experiences. For example, Texas is a state with ties to the South(east), the southwest, AND the Great Plains. In addition we have a cultural identity as Texans no matter where you are in the State. The strong ties to the South are very evident in the Piney Woods of East Texas, while El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than to Houston!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:11 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

That depends on the gay guy. A few I've known wouldn't know a male perspective if it landed on their head.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:17 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I highly recommend the book _Cat's Eye_ by Margaret Atwood to anyone who's interested in the girls-stab-each-other-in-the-back theme. If you went through this as a child, as I did, it's especially poignant.

She rexplores this theme in _The Robber's Bride_ in the context of adult women.

As to North v South in the US.... oh my, can of worms. If you ask an American, a lot of the perspective will be coloured by where *they* grew up as well as family ties and personal experiences. For example, Texas is a state with ties to the South(east), the southwest, AND the Great Plains. In addition we have a cultural identity as Texans no matter where you are in the State. The strong ties to the South are very evident in the Piney Woods of East Texas, while El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than to Houston!
You are right about that. I used to live in Virginia. To most Virginia is a southern state but to me, who lived in Northern Virginia, I'd say there's a split there. I would say that you start feeling the south as soon as you hit Richmond.

With regards to Texas. It's like that commercial "Texas - A Whole 'Nother Country". Its definitely the truth. You have those divides like you said. You have to considering it's the second largest state in the country after Alaska.

Last edited by ugacrew; Feb 1st 2008 at 4:44 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as an English woman, this thread has taught me more about America and Americans than anything else I've read on BE in two years.

I have relatives in the mid west, God bless 'em, and have been to Oklahoma, Missouri, Florida, New York City and Mineappolis.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:11 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

In my completely blinkered opinion:

Traditional South:
Tennessee
Southern Virginia
South Carolina
Southern North Carolina

Deep south, more stereotypically "southern":
Most of Alabama, excepting parts of the coast
Parts of Georgia, excepting parts of Atlanta
Northern Louisiana
Northern Florida, excepting Destin and parts of Pensacola
Southern Kentucky

Not really the south, but close:
Arkansas (very, very close to being "southern" in parts)
Northern Kentucky
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Northern North Carolina
Southern Missouri

Not really the south at all, but maybe depends on who you talk to:
Northern Virginia
Maryland

Creole, not "southern":
Southern Louisiana

Texas, not the "southern":
Texas

Definitely not the south, the Southwest:
Arizona
New Mexico
Utah
Nevada
Parts of Colorado

Also, some of the most cosmopolitan, intelligent and open minded people I've ever met were from Alabama. Nashville can be amazingly cultured, people from New Orleans can be uptight assholes, etc. It's easy to generalize but it doesn't make it true.

Last edited by Hiro11; Feb 1st 2008 at 5:13 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
In my completely blinkered opinion:

Traditional South:
Tennessee
Southern Virginia
South Carolina
Southern North Carolina

Deep south, more stereotypically "southern":
Most of Alabama, excepting parts of the coast
Parts of Georgia, excepting parts of Atlanta
Northern Louisiana
Northern Florida, excepting Destin and parts of Pensacola
Southern Kentucky

Not really the south, but close:
Arkansas (very, very close to being "southern" in parts)
Northern Kentucky
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Northern North Carolina
Southern Missouri

Not really the south at all, but maybe depends on who you talk to:
Northern Virginia
Maryland

Creole, not "southern":
Southern Louisiana

Texas, not the "southern":
Texas

Definitely not the south, the Southwest:
Arizona
New Mexico
Utah
Nevada
Parts of Colorado

Also, some of the most cosmopolitan, intelligent and open minded people I've ever met were from Alabama. Nashville can be amazingly cultured, people from New Orleans can be uptight assholes, etc. It's easy to generalize but it doesn't make it true.
What happened to the rest of Florida
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:19 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What happened to the rest of Florida
Not the South. Maybe parts of Central Florida, but the rest is just "Florida".
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:22 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Not the South. Maybe parts of Central Florida, but the rest is just "Florida".
It would be easy to make the case that southern Florida and south Texas are outposts of Latin America than they are "Southern." (I don't say this in a derogatory sense, either.)
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:40 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Southerners are believers

Northerners are thinkers
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:00 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Let's see that in action.

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Southerners are believers
I believe I'll have another beer.

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Northerners are thinkers
I think I'll have another beer.

Same?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

In the North when you make an appointment for a cable guy to call they'll promise to be there tomorrow and will turn up the day after that. In the far south they'll promise to turn up tomorrow and then you have to phone them up a week later to find out where they are

The Southern Company was Time Cable, maybe it was just them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.