Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Well put.

I'd say the children in the South are much more polite.
In fact, they are more polite than the kids back home in England.
We get "yessirs, no ma'ams and Miss/Mr/Mrs quite a lot.
LOL those southern kids will ma'am you to death, and do all the heinous things behind your back though

How about how northerners/southerners interact with other folks? Or even within friendships, or marriages?

I've lived mostly north, but known (and dated) some southerners. It seems there's more of a really really polite (sometimes phony) manner with the southerners - where the yanks just spit it out more.

Also, I had the impression the man seemed more in charge in some southern marriages, but the woman actually agreed with him, but got her way

Generalizations I'm sure, and many exceptions. But from my (limited) experiences, that's what seemed somewhat different to me.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:50 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
LOL those southern kids will ma'am you to death, and do all the heinous things behind your back though
You mean just like we did as kids back home?
Kids are kids aren't they? and will "have fun" no matter how many constraints you put on them, right? But, really, they are more polite here.

How about how northerners/southerners interact with other folks? Or even within friendships, or marriages?
Found that Southerners are more apt to be friendly with strangers. Depending on where in the South, this can be comfortable, easygoing or "dig out your eyes with a pencil" drippy. I'm in the comfortable/easygoing bit.

I've lived mostly north, but known (and dated) some southerners. It seems there's more of a really really polite (sometimes phony) manner with the southerners - where the yanks just spit it out more.
Phony? Maybe depending on where in the South, but phony is deffo a Bay Area to Southern Californian trait. You mean "Yankees", right? As in NY, NH, PA? There is absolutely a cultural and personality difference in the North. Not wanting to offend any USC Northerners, Ummmm, I'd say it takes a long time to feel comfortable there.

Also, I had the impression the man seemed more in charge in some southern marriages, but the woman actually agreed with him, but got her way
And the problem with that is?
My OH is a Westerner. Another "breed" entirely.

All these are personal experiences, as you know, individual mileage varies.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

You mean just like we did as kids back home?
Kids are kids aren't they? and will "have fun" no matter how many constraints you put on them, right? But, really, they are more polite here.

Found that Southerners are more apt to be friendly with strangers. Depending on where in the South, this can be comfortable, easygoing or "dig out your eyes with a pencil" drippy. I'm in the comfortable/easygoing bit.

Phony? Maybe depending on where in the South, but phony is deffo a Bay Area to Southern Californian trait. You mean "Yankees", right? As in NY, NH, PA? There is absolutely a cultural and personality difference in the North. Not wanting to offend any USC Northerners, Ummmm, I'd say it takes a long time to feel comfortable there.

And the problem with that is?
My OH is a Westerner. Another "breed" entirely.

All these are personal experiences, as you know, individual mileage varies.
Oh I totally agree southern kids are more polite. They are adorable. And wonderfully sneaky - that was not a criticism.

I think I mean a different phony. For example, I have a neighbor from Arkansas. We basically hate each other's guts. I am polite, but probably in quite a cool tone. She drips honey, only stabs me in the back when I'm not looking.

Now... that doesn't mean northerners aren't just as bad - they just skip the part where they're nice to you before knifing you.

I think northern and southern is quite different - no offense taken at all, I doubt I would be comfortable in the south. It just seems quite a different culture to me.

re. the marriage bit - LOL no problem - unless you're the man
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:11 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I totally agree southern kids are more polite. ................re. the marriage bit - LOL no problem - unless you're the man
Like Brian Wilson said:

"East Coast Girls are hip, I really dig those styles they wear,
And the Southern girls with the way they talk, they knock me out when I'm down there,
The Midwest farmer's daughters really make you feel alright,
And the Northern girls with the way they kiss, they keep their boyfriends warm at night."

Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if I'm a Northerner born on the wrong side of the Mason-dixon? I talk fairly fast, I actually pronounce my "g's" (i.e. nothing instead of nuthin'), I believe in telling it like it is, if I don't like someone, they know it, and sure as heck don't take no crap off the OH. If I disagree, I let him know and we have it out. Oh, and I'm not a religious nutter. How the heck did I wind up here? Hell, that's probably why I'm finding it difficult making new friends (and I'm the native USC) in the new town we're in. I suppose I'm just a fish out of water in KY.

But it's too damn cold in the North - weather-wise and personality-wise (with exceptions).
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Like Brian Wilson said:

And the Southern girls with the way they talk, they knock me out when I'm down there,
And the Northern girls with the way they kiss, they keep their boyfriends warm at night."

What about California girls?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:19 pm
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Huh?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:25 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I totally agree southern kids are more polite. They are adorable. And wonderfully sneaky - that was not a criticism.

I think I mean a different phony. For example, I have a neighbor from Arkansas. We basically hate each other's guts. I am polite, but probably in quite a cool tone. She drips honey, only stabs me in the back when I'm not looking.

Now... that doesn't mean northerners aren't just as bad - they just skip the part where they're nice to you before knifing you.

I think northern and southern is quite different - no offense taken at all, I doubt I would be comfortable in the south. It just seems quite a different culture to me.

re. the marriage bit - LOL no problem - unless you're the man

thats the bit I have to try and remember here...they say that if you piss off a Southern Lady, you can tell because their accent and attitude gets more syrupy sweet....

whereas I just get all sarcastic....and give em the "V"...that tends to confuse them...
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lisag8070
thats the bit I have to try and remember here...they say that if you piss off a Southern Lady, you can tell because their accent and attitude gets more syrupy sweet....

whereas I just get all sarcastic....and give em the "V"...that tends to confuse them...
OK, so where's the line folks? I'm working in the middle-ish...

Kentucky = southern
Arkansas = southern
Tennessee = southern?
Missouri = northern?
Illinois = northern

Others?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Well east coast girls are hip
I really dig those styles they wear
And the southern girls with the way they talk
They knock me out when Im down there

The mid-west farmers daughters really make you feel alright
And the northern girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night

I wish they all could be california
I wish they all could be california
I wish they all could be california girls
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:38 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Kentucky = southern
Arkansas = southern
Tennessee = southern?
Missouri = northern?
Illinois = northern

Others?
is Oklahoma classed as southern ?..

along with New Mexico and Arizona...

(I only know the East Coast..or does it only relate to the east coast...?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:40 pm
gurt mint nit?

Kentucky = southern
Arkansas = southern
Tennessee = southern?
Missouri = northern?
Illinois = northern

Others?
Alabama = South
Mississippi = South
Georgia = South
Louisiana = South

Actually, its kind of cool being in the South. Not too far South, mind. Just enough to be classified as Johnny Reb but without the "knee-slapping and Nascar"
After all, we did back them you know.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:43 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Like Brian Wilson said:

Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:43 pm
gurt mint nit?

Oklahoma? You better believe it, honeychild!
NM, AZ, CO, - all them.
They are Western and/or desert states aren't they?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd personally call those more of a western culture. I lived in Arizona, and it didn't feel at all "southern" to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.