Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What did you sacrifice in your endeavor to obtain a green card?

What did you sacrifice in your endeavor to obtain a green card?

Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you sacrifice in your endeavor to obtain a green card?

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Nothing at all. I only gained. I have everything I had before plus I gained a wonderful husband and a few pounds on my hips, a few inches around my waist.

But I never had the goal of getting a green card. I didn't look for an American husband and when I met my husband (who was wearing a Union Jack t shirt) I thought he was British until he spoke. It was our intention to settle on the U.K. but that chance was denied so here we are. Like someone else said, it was a change of address, nothing else. I'm still me. I refuse to sacrifice anything anyway, if it can be at all helped. Financially we may have sacrificed a nice holiday due to the visa fees and shipping costs to get my stuff here but we can go another time.

You don't know if your life would have been better or worse if you'd stayed in the U.K. You might have been run over by a bus the next day. You might have won the lottery. Who knows? All you can do is play with the cards that life has dealt you.

Even worse, you could have been run over by a bus the day after you won the lottery.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Meh. Nothing.

I didn't own property in the UK and now I own a house (with all the American challenges) and to top it off have a great relationship with the wife.

I'm young enough to embrace it all. I'm looking to gaining citizenship and plan to spend the rest of my working life here.

I am in for the long run and not detracted by short term politics.

I earn double my UK pay and have better prospects.

Some may say "the American dream."
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Regular face-to-face contact with my two independent-living daughters. Empty nester syndrome hits hard when you're 3,000+ miles away.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My dignity
A life sentence, 17 years served. Good behaviour is expected, so even that doesn't get me time off.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:52 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Some close friendships and the ability to spend time with family.

Still, I wouldn't change my decision for all the tea in China.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't really sacrifice anything. I left things behind, for sure but I can go back and visit friends and family, so that doesn't really count.

I spent a year unemployed due to delayed paperwork for my EAD, so maybe I sacrificed a bit of money but we made it work.

I moved here to get married though, which is vastly different to moving for work or study, so I'd argue that my wife made more sacrifices than I did in the early days, given she had to support me until I was allowed to work.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
The promise of a green card, great prospects in tech and the ability to live and work for Apple, Microsoft or anybody else anywhere in the country. Things started out well, got worse over time.

Was the only place I could get a visa/job at the time, had fun for a while.

More complicated than that, I have a paper visa right now (renewal I-129). Even that is not approved yet. Even if it was approved, I'd have to get a whole new photographic visa at the embassy as well as pay for advance parole. Cost prohibitive and also risky and stressful, not worth it unless absolutely necessary.

Sometimes you don't realize until it's too late. At this stage it doesn't make sense to leave, since things will be so much better here soon. Had I known how things were going to pan out though:

- how long the GC process would take
- the downward trajectory of my company

I would never have come to the USA.
Hey I understand where you are coming from. We too started on a path that took a long time to travel, which included 4 years of me living in Cayman and him living here with little to no hope of it being resolved after my L-1 fell through. But we made the best of it and both got to enjoy Charlotte living and Island living simultaneously.
I have never regretted for one moment anything, we made those choices and just got on with it, we got our green cards in Feb of this year. Even the 2 "awful" years I had to work for Wells Fargo overseas I look back on as character building and led me to where I am now.
If I'd had a crystal ball in 2005 then we too would not have started the USA journey. Good Luck.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I was lucky because I really don't feet that I "sacrificed" anything.

But, then, I never really embarked on what you describe as an "endeavor to obtain a green card".

My primary goal was never to "get a green card" or even to "live and work in the US" - I was looking for a more interesting job than the one that I had in the UK and I got an offer from some people that I knew who had a small software company in California. The job sounded interesting and, when I visited I liked the place and felt instantly at home.

Those were the days (1987) when an H1-B visa could be obtained in a few weeks so I accepted their offer and moved to the US about 2 months later. The green card application happened a year or two later and was just uneventful paperwork ...

30 years later and I am still here.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
...Those were the days (1987) when an H1-B visa could be obtained in a few weeks so I accepted their offer and moved to the US about 2 months later. ...
How times have changed.

Neat story though.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from a 6 figure salary, my own cool batchelor pad, Friday and Saturday nights down the pub with my mates, sky tv, curry and kebabs....... nothing.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be interested to learn what my answer to this question will be in a year or two from now.

For now, a few weeks before I'm due to move to the USA, my main concern is (and always has been) that I am going to miss my family - my father and my very young nephews, particularly - beyond a level I can imagine tolerating comfortably. My poor husband has really taken the brunt of many resentful rant from me when it comes to that stuff (I stopped being a baby about it a year ago, but in the run-up to making the decisions as to who would move where, he certainly took a lot of crap from me!).

I have only just graduated from university, though I'm in my early thirties, so I don't feel I'm sacrificing anything on the career/financial front. In fact, I am hopeful that I will use this move as a board to leap from, and start completely afresh. I am also, of course, very excited to finally be with my husband and to start our lives together, make a family, buy our first home, all that stuff. I am too preoccupied with the excitement for what I'm gaining, to be concerned with the sacrifices I'm making, but I'm sure that's quite natural for a person at this stage in the game. Again, let's see where I sit in a year. I might really miss Branston pickle, or be livid because I miss the First Great Western railway.

Edit: I feel the need to also point out that I was never in this adventure in order to 'obtain a green card', so my sacrifices are more ones that I'll be making to be with my husband. The green card is just part and parcel of that. Were it not for meeting and falling in love with an American, moving to the USA would never have been on my radar.

Last edited by KK85; Oct 7th 2017 at 9:42 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I did give up being legally able to drive above 70 mph, but I also gave up speed cameras. This is State specific.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 5:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I did give up being legally able to drive above 70 mph, but I also gave up speed cameras. This is State specific.
Jesus, even Illinois has 70mph speed limits outside of metro Chicago (and Wisconsin went from 65-70 recently as well).

It's ****ed that it isn't at least 80 across the board though (ideally more), since cars are now much more suitable for driving at high speeds than they were 45 years ago when they dropped it to 55. Speed limits on motorway-style highways are not about safety anyway, it's all revenue generation.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
cars are now much more suitable for driving at high speeds than they were 45 years ago when they dropped it to 55.
Cars, yes. Driver, not so much.

Back in my younger days when I was doing 50-60,000 miles a year up & down the UK, I felt safer driving at 90+ than at 70 as I was much more attentive looking out for the bizzies. At 70mph, the mind starts to wander and lose concentration.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:24 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Cars, yes. Driver, not so much.

Back in my younger days when I was doing 50-60,000 miles a year up & down the UK, I felt safer driving at 90+ than at 70 as I was much more attentive looking out for the bizzies. At 70mph, the mind starts to wander and lose concentration.
Well, I suppose the argument could be made that if the driver isn't capable of driving at highway speeds, they shouldn't be driving on the highway ...

But you'll always get some arsehole sat in the left lane at 20 below the flow of traffic, as is tradition.