Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What age to let kids walk home on own?

What age to let kids walk home on own?

Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:54 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default What age to let kids walk home on own?

I was out for dinner a few nights ago with my daughters best friends Mum. She was telling me that next school term, one day a week she won't be able to pick her daughter up from school and they are thinking of letting her walk home on her own. Apparantly, she won't be in the house alone for long, no more than 10 minutes.

She'll turn 9 in September. Her walk home is through a housing estate and doesn't cross any main roads, also lots of kids and parents walk that way too.

I was quite shocked, her daughter is quite timid and she admitted that if someone showed her kid a kitten she'd probably go over. Where as mine, would run like crazy, and I still wouldn't let my kid come home on her own.

Am I the crazy overprotective one who imagines bad things around every corner? What age did you let your kids walk home/stay home on their own?

Last edited by N1cky; Jul 14th 2011 at 6:12 pm. Reason: To add age of kid
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What age to let kids walk home on own?

I am sure my kids will be ready to do it by themselves long before I am ready to let them.

Seems like there are a lot more scary people in the world then there used to be... or maybe we just hear about it more
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

BTW how old is your friends daughter????
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I was out for dinner a few nights ago with my daughters best friends Mum. She was telling me that next school term, one day a week she won't be able to pick her daughter up from school and they are thinking of letting her walk home on her own. Apparantly, she won't be in the house alone for long, no more than 10 minutes.

Her walk home is through a housing estate and doesn't cross any main roads, also lots of kids and parents walk that way too.

I was quite shocked, her daughter is quite timid and she admitted that if someone showed her kid a kitten she'd probably go over. Where as mine, would run like crazy, and I still wouldn't let my kid come home on her own.

Am I the crazy overprotective one who imagines bad things around every corner? What age did you let your kids walk home/stay home on their own?
When our son moved up to middle school last year we let him walk to and from school alone because it is only about 3 roads down from us, though usually we . He was 11 at the start of the school year but his birthday is in October so most of the time it was when he was 12. He was then home on his own for maybe 90 minutes or so until one of us got home from work. We'd already allowed him to let himself in when he got off the bus from his elementary school the whole time he was 11. The house stayed locked up, we gave him the code to open the garage door and there was a key hidden in there to open up the door to the house.

At first you worry about them, it's natural, but he's a good head on him, and he knows not to go off with strangers or open the door/answer the phone while we're not there. I remember being on the phone with him a few times because he'd found himself trapped in the basment while someone was at the door and he didn't want to walk up the stairs and be seen! He'll be 13 in October and we've had no trouble with him going to and from school on his own thus far, touch wood.

Granted, our area is quiet, and he walks along one main road for about 5 minutes each day, with lots and lots of other kids around (high school is next door to the middle school), so YMMV. I wouldn't call you crazy or overprotective at all, we gave it a lot of thought before we allowed our son to be alone, and we both work 10 minutes away from home so we're on hand if he has any bother.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:11 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
BTW how old is your friends daughter????
Sorry I thought I had put that. She'll turn 9 in September
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, 9 is a bit young to be walking home by herself. I thought she was maybe 11 or 12!

I can see how you have your concerns now!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

In todays newspaper there is a story of an 8 year old murdered on his first solo walk home from day camp. I will post a link if I find it. (Thats what I thought this thread was about)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...issingboy.html
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung
In todays newspaper there is a story of an 8 year old murdered on his first solo walk home from day camp. I will post a link if I find it. (Thats what I thought this thread was about)

OMG, how awful
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:21 pm
I have a comma problem

That's terrible .

Course, anyone can be murdered at any age or time, but there's no way an eight year old should be walking around by himself outside of his own street (within sight of his house, that is).
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is no way I would allow a 9 year old to do that!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I thought this thread was about
So did I. Here are some tips published in response to the story.

http://http://www.nydailynews.com/li...and_stree.html
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I walked to and from school every day from age 8 (so it would have been 1988) and the school was over half a mile away. I'd be happy to let my daughter make that journey at the same age.

If you can let your kids go to the local park alone then walking home is no different. Being alone in the house is a bit different though, but for 10 minutes there wouldn't be an issue for me.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
but there's no way an eight year old should be walking around by himself outside of his own street (within sight of his house, that is).
I must a really over protective mother My daughter is 7, youngest 5 they are only allowed to play out in the yard... it is fenced and we have locks on the gates.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
So did I. Here are some tips published in response to the story.

http://http://www.nydailynews.com/li...and_stree.html
Thanks for that. Link didn't work, corrected below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...and_stree.html

Originally Posted by Anian
I walked to and from school every day from age 8 (so it would have been 1988) and the school was over half a mile away. I'd be happy to let my daughter make that journey at the same age.

If you can let your kids go to the local park alone then walking home is no different. Being alone in the house is a bit different though, but for 10 minutes there wouldn't be an issue for me.
I wouldn't let her go to the local park on her own either
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:34 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Anian

Right enough, when I was 8 I was probably allowed much further afield, especially on my bike, but I lived in an area that was more conducive to being able to do that.

When our son was 8 we were in an area with lots of blind corners and bad drivers, and a big lake to fall into if you're not careful! We weren't so worried about nonces or 'stranger danger' as we were about him getting hit by a car because some twat in a white van came flying round the corner at 40 mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.