Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Montana!

Want to move to Montana!

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Montana!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Outside of windchill, I don't usually have to deal with -10F too much where I live, but I could see how it would get hard to deal with for an extended time.

I'm sure a lot of the attraction is the space and the scenery. It's probably quite easy to get distracted with things like that from the reality of what living there is.

If I was relocating, and maybe one day we will, it certainly wouldn't be to somewhere that gets more snow than where I currently live
Both North Idaho and Western Montana share similar scenery . I don't mind extra snow, and colder winters, just seems as with other factors logically going through a checklist in determining which is more suitable. Anyway certainly enough posts in this thread to give food for thought for anyone moving to Montana, and avoid too many unpleasant surprises.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Anything below 32F I consider long johns.
13 degrees centigrade here, I'm about to go to bed with a hot water bottle. I can't even begin to imagine the temps being mentioned here.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:27 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
13 degrees centigrade here, I'm about to go to bed with a hot water bottle. I can't even begin to imagine the temps being mentioned here.
Not sure what part of the UK you lived in, but up in NI, 13C would have been quite a nice day with some sun

That's about the average autumn temperature where I live now, converts to about 55F. That is right bang in my ideal range. I love autumn days in about the 45-60F range. Absolute heaven.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what part of the UK you lived in, but up in NI, 13C would have been quite a nice day with some sun

That's about the average autumn temperature where I live now, converts to about 55F. That is right bang in my ideal range. I love autumn days in about the 45-60F range. Absolute heaven.
Hertfordshire. It's very odd, we landed in late November and didn't think it too hot although we did sleep with just a sheet. The following summer the duvet didn't come off the bed and hasn't since, although we have different weights. It didn't get above 16C today, I had to light the woodburner at 4. The husband was outside all day, wearing a jacket and had to have a bath when he came in rather than shower because he was so cold. Makes no sense This Montana weather sounds completely barking. It's got stunning scenery though.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 1:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Hertfordshire. It's very odd, we landed in late November and didn't think it too hot although we did sleep with just a sheet. The following summer the duvet didn't come off the bed and hasn't since, although we have different weights. It didn't get above 16C today, I had to light the woodburner at 4.
It's weird to think that back in the UK in winter we'd have been beyond happy with a 16C day, but here you are in the Australian winter thinking it's cold

This Montana weather sounds completely barking. It's got stunning scenery though.
It's the semi-arid continental climate. Makes for warm summers and cold winters. In Illinois we have a humid continental climate, so we can have highs in the 40s C in summer, but can have lows in the -20s C in winter.

The UK is actually at a higher lattitude than both Illinois and Montana, but it has a temperate climate because of the jet stream.

You can wake up now.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 2:10 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

It's weird to think that back in the UK in winter we'd have been beyond happy with a 16C day, but here you are in the Australian winter thinking it's cold

It's the semi-arid continental climate. Makes for warm summers and cold winters. In Illinois we have a humid continental climate, so we can have highs in the 40s C in summer, but can have lows in the -20s C in winter.

The UK is actually at a higher lattitude than both Illinois and Montana, but it has a temperate climate because of the jet stream.

You can wake up now.
Portland is north of you but hasn't seen sub zero since 1950. Outlying areas have a recently as 2 years ago.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 2:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Portland is north of you but hasn't seen sub zero since 1950. Outlying areas have a recently as 2 years ago.
The benefits of a temperate climate. Presumably you mean sub zero Fahrenheit? I imagine it can get down to 32F in the winters though, it does in the UK and the climates are reasonably similar, right?
Old Aug 5th 2016, 2:26 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

The benefits of a temperate climate. Presumably you mean sub zero Fahrenheit? I imagine it can get down to 32F in the winters though, it does in the UK and the climates are reasonably similar, right?
Yes 0 Farenheit. Most winters we bottom out between 10-20 degrees. With only a day or two not getting above 32 as a high.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 2:28 pm
I have a comma problem

Yes 0 Farenheit. Most winters we bottom out between 10-20 degrees. With only a day or two not getting above 32 as a high.
Gets a little colder than the UK then, but otherwise sounds quite familiar. Maybe the UK is a little warmer, 35-40 is not unusual in January. What are your summers like - similar to San Francisco? That maritime layer on the pacific works wonders. 104F in the Altamont Pass, 68F on the Oakland Bay Bridge
Old Aug 8th 2016, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I love autumn days in about the 45-60F range. Absolute heaven.
I love spring and autumn days maybe a bit cooler, 40-55F, for driving with the windows down. Best thing ever. Except the humidity can ruin it here in Ohio.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 5:46 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I love spring and autumn days maybe a bit cooler, 40-55F, for driving with the windows down. Best thing ever. Except the humidity can ruin it here in Ohio.
Yeah, I'm with you there. 40 is absolutely fine. Especially when it gets grey and blustery for a few days as well.

If it could be autumn for 95% of the year, with some warm/sunny days in the summer and 1" of snow on Christmas morning only, that would be about perfect
Old Aug 8th 2016, 6:03 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 8th 2016, 6:25 pm
I have a comma problem

How about a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers?
Old Aug 16th 2016, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a few callbacks and interviews for places in MT. Also applied for some work in WY as well just in case.

Hopefully a move will occur before too long.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 2:50 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Getting a few callbacks and interviews for places in MT. Also applied for some work in WY as well just in case.

Hopefully a move will occur before too long.
Good luck with everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.