Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

VPN for UK TV programmes?

VPN for UK TV programmes?

Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VPN for UK TV programmes?

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Great thanks for the link....why is VPN a hassle though - just wondering how it compares with britbox? .....
I dunno, we don't use either.

I have no idea how I ever had time to watch TV. Certainly having a child in school takes up additional time every day, but I go home, eat dinner, do some tasks around the house or yard, then go to bed. Watching TV was such a waste of time, and I don't know how I ever had the time for it.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Great thanks for the link....why is VPN a hassle though - just wondering how it compares with britbox?
Thanks!

J
Britbox is a legal streaming service whereas a VPN is a way to watch illegally. The latter is constantly being fought by the UK programmers to stop the activity, so it changes every few months when the broadcasters takes action against the VPN providers.

A VPN will give you all the (free) channels and some even offer more than that, but there's no guarantee of quality or even how long they can offer the service. No high horse here, but I prefer to watch legally and support the shows I like.

I have access to all shows on ll channels using a side-loaded app, but it's little more than a curiosity these days.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute

Express VPN mostly into Berkshire. iPlayer TV has quit working on me for sure, iPlayer Radio is legal and can be used without VPN. Also in the legal space ... Sky News you can view using Roku, they have a tie up with Sky (NowTV).

Also legal ... Curiosity Stream is pretty neat for older BBC documentaries, but they are still better than waiting for PBS. Hulu works out pretty well for offbeat British stuff, that's how I got Plebs Season Three (having watched Season One and Two in Britain). I got Grand Designs on Netflix. I'd much rather do all this than cable TV. I picked up my first Android streamer (Ice Cream Sandwich) in 2011 in Britain before XBMC (Kodi) ever took off. It's getting much harder to do Kodi however if you're technically minded you'll find ways. I still use Kodi legally as a DVR for Antenna TV here, the EPG situation sucks.

I left a DVR in the UK and had drives sent to me when I was without connectivity ... well I quit that because the packages were being opened at the border for sure. The drives were not encrypted ... don't ever encrypt them if you are going to do that and exchange family photos on the drive too. Customs just sent them right on but I got spooked enough to stop.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 12:03 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tennesseestud
Express VPN mostly into Berkshire. iPlayer TV has quit working on me for sure, iPlayer Radio is legal and can be used without VPN. Also in the legal space ... Sky News you can view using Roku, they have a tie up with Sky (NowTV).

Also legal ... Curiosity Stream is pretty neat for older BBC documentaries, but they are still better than waiting for PBS. Hulu works out pretty well for offbeat British stuff, that's how I got Plebs Season Three (having watched Season One and Two in Britain). I got Grand Designs on Netflix. I'd much rather do all this than cable TV. I picked up my first Android streamer (Ice Cream Sandwich) in 2011 in Britain before XBMC (Kodi) ever took off. It's getting much harder to do Kodi however if you're technically minded you'll find ways. I still use Kodi legally as a DVR for Antenna TV here, the EPG situation sucks.

I left a DVR in the UK and had drives sent to me when I was without connectivity ... well I quit that because the packages were being opened at the border for sure. The drives were not encrypted ... don't ever encrypt them if you are going to do that and exchange family photos on the drive too. Customs just sent them right on but I got spooked enough to stop.
iPlayer still works with TurboVPN (which is free).
Old Nov 18th 2017, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t update iPlayer on my iPhone, even though it’s my UK account and I was using a DNS service. I’ve stopped watching a lot of stuff from the Uk and what I do watch I can find either on YouTube or putlocker.