Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US-UK compassion gap

US-UK compassion gap

Old Oct 14th 2017, 11:37 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US-UK compassion gap

Originally Posted by mrken30
Do you really mean "self reliance" , or did you really mean selfish? Look after number 1 first because the Government is your enemy.
I think Americans are fairly intolerant of able people who don't pull their own weight. I don't think Americans are unique in this regard.

A lot of people give to charity to save taxes, the same as some people have bigger mortgages because they think it will save on taxes.
While the tax benefit certainly doesn't hurt, it's ridiculous to say that Americans are only charitable because there's something in it for them. Your bias is showing.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with the op completely, I find the Americans very significantly more compassionate, in the main, to their fellows who have fallen on hard times.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I disagree with the op completely, I find the Americans very significantly more compassionate, in the main, to their fellows who have fallen on hard times.
That may be because when you fall on hard times in the UK, there can be very little help from public resources. Watching people starve on the streets would not be good for a rich country like the US.(Unless it's Puerto Rico) However it is OK for people not to have access to healthcare or be bankrupted through healthcare.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 15th 2017 at 3:22 am.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That may be because when you fall on hard times in the UK, there can be very little help from public resources. Watching people starve on the streets would not be good for a rich country like the US.(Unless it's Puerto Rico) However it is OK for people not to have access to healthcare or be bankrupted through healthcare.
Scratch below the veneer of wealthy America and you'll find places consistent with living standards in the third world and conditions that should not have existed in the 20th century, let alone the 21st.
Personally, I think, that like most things they do, there's a lot of show and not much substance when it comes to compassion. Is it worse than the UK? Probably not but God forbid anyone hint at it being that way.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...atment-poverty
Old Oct 15th 2017, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Scratch below the veneer of wealthy America and you'll find places consistent with living standards in the third world and conditions that should not have existed in the 20th century, let alone the 21st.
Personally, I think, that like most things they do, there's a lot of show and not much substance when it comes to compassion. Is it worse than the UK? Probably not but God forbid anyone hint at it being that way.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...atment-poverty
This sounds unhinged. Please get a grip. The US and UK are not third-world countries that just have a "veneer" of being wealthy.

Last edited by carcajou; Oct 15th 2017 at 2:27 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 2:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I've been following this thread with some interest and been unable to make up my mind about the differences. I think there is not a lot between the two countries.

Both have this underlying assumption that we have to look after ourselves. That being in need of help is somewhat shameful. It is difficult to access help in either country without losing pride.
In the UK, you view yourself as taking something from the State, in the US you have to show your need almost publicly.

My friend, a regular churchgoer, tells me of the amazing stuff that her church/fellow worshippers do with needy families. They all contribute what they can and of course it's tax deductible. BUT at the end of the day, someone had to go begging for help.

I was about to write that in the UK, I've no experience of asking for help in terms of benefits. It's true but the feeling of pride associated with that actually dismays me. As a country how does the UK view citizens who need help? So much for compassion eh?

In France, the attitude is completely different. I'm writing this because I was completely astounded when I realised what a difference it makes. People in France pay a lot towards their social security. They all moan about it. BUT if they ever need help, then it is their RIGHT to get it. No shame. They've paid for it after all. It really is regarded as a kind of insurance to be drawn upon in times of need. People who may find it more difficult to get new work at the same level, pay more to the social security. Strangely enough, that level would be the professional/managerial level. We would have been paid almost near our salary level for up to 2 years before it is reduced right down. I had a job and I paid contributions. When I left that job, I decided to start a company and almost everyone I knew told me that I was entitled to get money for a year to get my business up and running. When I demurred, a few got almost angry with me.

I know people are going to go on about the amount of social security people pay in France compared to the UK and USA but actually, all those tax deductible charitable contributions are really the same thing aren't they? There is definitely an assumption in the USA that you will do your bit.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
This sounds unhinged. Please get a grip. The US and UK are not third-world countries that just have a "veneer" of being wealthy.
I didn't say that either were third world countries but there is a very distinct separation in the US between the very poor and the comfortably well off.
Working on some of the trailer parks round here I get to see some shocking standards of living which many folks in our income bracket and upwards have no idea exist because they have no reason/inclination to go into the poorer areas. Not that poverty is hidden in the south, there are many properties by the roadsides that just look uninhabitable but the people sat on the sofas outside indicate otherwise. The only places in Europe that I've seen the same kind of poverty to such an extent are Bulgaria and Moldova, places that don't tend to spring to mind when talking about first world living conditions!!
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I've been following this thread with some interest and been unable to make up my mind about the differences. I think there is not a lot between the two countries.

Both have this underlying assumption that we have to look after ourselves. That being in need of help is somewhat shameful. It is difficult to access help in either country without losing pride.
In the UK, you view yourself as taking something from the State, in the US you have to show your need almost publicly.

I agree with you that it is somewhat difficult to decide about the differences. I'm always amazed at the level of discretionary giving that goes on here, but I'm also surprised at the level of callousness that is demonstrated when the subject turns to (eg) food stamps, or more generally any government program / tax. The people seem obsessed with fear that someone will get something they don't deserve, but will fall over backwards to give to a worthy cause.

In my view, the culture here simply dislikes the government being involved in the process, and this seems to fit more generally into the overall mindset of distrusting the government - which is not entirely unhealthy.

Having seen, in UK, entire neighborhoods and generations essentially 'give up' on the idea of working for a living, I can see the pitfalls of a somewhat generous 'welfare state'. Conversely, in the US, I see entire neighborhoods and generations becoming lawless ghettos.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I didn't say that either were third world countries but there is a very distinct separation in the US between the very poor and the comfortably well off.
Working on some of the trailer parks round here I get to see some shocking standards of living which many folks in our income bracket and upwards have no idea exist because they have no reason/inclination to go into the poorer areas. Not that poverty is hidden in the south, there are many properties by the roadsides that just look uninhabitable but the people sat on the sofas outside indicate otherwise. The only places in Europe that I've seen the same kind of poverty to such an extent are Bulgaria and Moldova, places that don't tend to spring to mind when talking about first world living conditions!!
Owning your own asset and little piece of land, and contributing to the social welfare system through property taxes (however meagre) is a lot better than renting council housing from the state in perpetuity, is it not?

If you have only seen "that level of poverty" in Moldova and Bulgaria you haven't been looking hard enough (nor do you understand Eastern Europe as it is not the same "level of poverty" at all but much worse there). I see extreme poverty ALL THE TIME in the UK, Italy, and Australia . . . and other first-world countries.

Last edited by carcajou; Oct 17th 2017 at 10:54 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

I was about to write that in the UK, I've no experience of asking for help in terms of benefits. It's true but the feeling of pride associated with that actually dismays me. As a country how does the UK view citizens who need help? So much for compassion eh?

t.
I think your UK perception depends on which papers you are reading. There are plenty of left leaning people in the UK that see state support of the poor or disadvantaged as a respectable aim. Even the Tories pay lip service to being compassionate.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carcajou
Owning your own asset and little piece of land, and contributing to the social welfare system through property taxes (however meagre) is a lot better than renting council housing from the state in perpetuity, is it not?

If you have only seen "that level of poverty" in Moldova and Bulgaria you haven't been looking hard enough. I see it ALL THE TIME in the UK and Italy.
Agreed to the owning of property versus renting.

I can't think of an occasion I have ever seen any inhabited scabby wooden shacks that look just about ready to fall down in the UK, can't speak for Italy because my budget has never quite stretched that far, some stone built French properties maybe.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 11:16 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The people seem obsessed with fear that someone will get something they don't deserve, but will fall over backwards to give to a worthy cause.
"Fairness" and some sort of expectation of personal responsibility seems like an understandable and common human sentiment. Perhaps this is a matter of degrees. Americans as a whole probably value self reliance more than some other countries.

Also, there's a hell of a lot of waste and cronyism in the US government. Check out the scam that is crop insurance. Or Federal disability insurance. Or "green" subsidies. Or "earmarking". Or agricultural subsidies. Or the special tax and anti-trust exemptions afforded pro sports. Etc.

In my view, the culture here simply dislikes the government being involved in the process, and this seems to fit more generally into the overall mindset of distrusting the government - which is not entirely unhealthy.

Having seen, in UK, entire neighborhoods and generations essentially 'give up' on the idea of working for a living, I can see the pitfalls of a somewhat generous 'welfare state'. Conversely, in the US, I see entire neighborhoods and generations becoming lawless ghettos.
Excellent points. I agree it's difficult to make blanket statements about such a complex topic.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 11:21 pm
I approved this message

Originally Posted by Shard
I think your UK perception depends on which papers you are reading. There are plenty of left leaning people in the UK that see state support of the poor or disadvantaged as a respectable aim. Even the Tories pay lip service to being compassionate.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in any political party in either country that feels that people should suffer, or that poverty shouldn't be dealt with. Yes there are genuine jerks out there, but they're rare. Where the vast, vast majority of people actually differ is on HOW best to address these issues. Just because someone disagrees with you on HOW to best reduce suffering doesn't mean that they lack compassion.

For example, some of us have noticed that the poverty rate in the US is almost unchanged since 1965:
https://poverty.ucdavis.edu/faq/what...-united-states
..despite the implementation of Medicare / Medicade, SSI, WIC, Pell Grants, Earned income tax credit, TANF etc, etc, etc and the resulting massive increase in Federal entitlement spending since 1965. Some of us look at that and ask, reasonably, is Federal spending truly the best way to reduce poverty? Questioning this spending isn't lack of compassion.

Last edited by Hiro11; Oct 18th 2017 at 11:29 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is as much a divide across the different States as there is between the UK and the US. California is very left and has several support networks and attitudes.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 5:03 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Americans believe that the so called "experts" don't always spend our tax money very well. At least here we can have some say in controlling how money is spent at the local level through the ballot initiative system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.