Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Think in terms of weather.........have you any idea what the weather has been like in much of the UK so far this "winter"?....

...weeks now of one Atlantic storm of wind and rain after another.....grey gloomy skies, heavy downpours practically every single day, flooded streets and roads and homes, trees falling like skittles, train and flight cancellations, power cuts and ruined Christmas dinners, mini Lake Districts all over the countryside, seafront promenades trashed by windblown sand and shingle and flying debris of all kinds including smashed shelters along the promenades at such places as Aberystwyth, Newquay, Weymouth, Blackpool...you name it it's been affected....and crumbling cliff faces and rock formations all along the coastlines.

Surely you would never miss this sort of thing would you?
That's global warming for you.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's one that you won't know until you get here. You might miss loads of stuff or nothing at all and anything in between.

Over the last few years I've been able to find solutions to just about anything I might have thought I missed. The internet can help take care of the TV, food and news. On top of that, I can watch more premiership football on TV here than I could back home as I didn't have SKY.

Fish n chips can be found here, as can a decent curry. Also, you can most certainly get good beer here, with relative ease.
I agree, I'm pretty much down to missing friends. Everything else i can get here now and keeping in touch just gets easier with things like Skype. And i'm in a location where I'm not out in the boonies. I can still actually walk to shops, restaurants and even the post office. An English owned fish and chip shop is a short drive away as are 3 Indian restaurants. But i have lived in MA, it was a bit more of a remote place, very quiet, where even the local home depot was and hour and a half away. Now i have 2 both within 3 miles. So your location is going to make a difference.

I find people put more effort into a wider range of hobbies and interests. Plenty of people with quad bikes, boats, go carts, jet skies, RVs and are into more outdoor activities, own wood-shops decked out with tools. garages (or man caves) with TVs and built in bars (beer on tap). Basements with bars, bowling lanes and pool tables, more people play/own instruments and form bands etc. And plenty of other materialistic things that I initially thought was a bit over the top but now i find myself wanting

I like having access to the premier league and the match of the day show.
I have a real problem with the premier league lately with the use of those animated advertising boards. They are getting even more animated and keep distracting my attention from the ball. I was watching the stoke liverpool game at the weekend and they actually had two levels of boards around the field. How bad is it going to get? And what moron thinks that by distracting my attention from the game that i want to watch is going to make me buy the product they are trying to advertise.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Jan 13th 2014 at 11:05 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I have a real problem with the premier league lately and the use of those animated advertising boards. They are getting even more animated and keep distracting my attention from the ball.
Glad it's not just me!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:03 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I miss family, some friends, and the scenery of North Yorkshire, the Dales etc. And healthcare.

I don't actually miss anything "material". I do buy some online bacon, sausage and pies, but that has only been the last few months, and we've been here 11 years! If that company stopped selling, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

There are things I look forward to when I go back - Fish and Chips, a proper pub, English style Chinese takeaway, pub food and carveries, but that's about it.

I look at the photos that folk post of care packages that they have received from home, and it reminds me of Sunday nights watching "Colditz" when the red cross parcels arrived I've never had a care package, and rarely bring much back with me from a visit - in the past I've brought a few colemans sauce mixes, Atora Suet (but we can get that now), and once I brought M&S horseradish When we went to the UK this last Christmas, I didn't bring a thing back, other than what the kids got as presents.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Think in terms of weather.........have you any idea what the weather has been like in much of the UK so far this "winter"?....

...weeks now of one Atlantic storm of wind and rain after another.....grey gloomy skies, heavy downpours practically every single day, flooded streets and roads and homes, trees falling like skittles, train and flight cancellations, power cuts and ruined Christmas dinners, mini Lake Districts all over the countryside, seafront promenades trashed by windblown sand and shingle and flying debris of all kinds including smashed shelters along the promenades at such places as Aberystwyth, Newquay, Weymouth, Blackpool...you name it it's been affected....and crumbling cliff faces and rock formations all along the coastlines.

Surely you would never miss this sort of thing would you?
Not if you live in Florida or the gulf coast, because honestly what you describe is a walk in the park compared to the hell that a hurricane will wreak.

Then there is the threat of Tornadoes everywhere east of the Rockies, at least as far as the Appalachians, and in the South East almost all the way to the Georgia and South Carolina coast, with a lesser risk all the way to New York.

California doesn't miss out entirely on mother nature's fury as in California there is the risk of earthquakes, mud slides, and wild fires (which are a threat throughout the Rockies).

In the upper mid west (Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and down into Illinois), you face months of zero degree low temperatures.... 0°F, not 0°C And east from there through Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New York you face snowfalls every winter that haven't been seen in Britain in over a century, if ever.

The weather in the UK has recently made a mess, but if you think it's bad, you'd better think very carefully where you want to live in the US.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:07 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the accessibility of English Pubs with good food. I was lucky to live somewhere in the UK where a ton of great places to eat/drink were all walkable (0.25 - 2 miles away). That's what the wife and I enjoy most when we're back in Blighty.
There's plenty to embrace here though, life's just a bit different that's all. So whilst I do miss good fish and chips, I have BBQ and TexMex!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I can find good beer, just not Greene King IPA out of a hand pump..

Call me picky.
We have a Greene King beach umbrella. I do like being the only people on the beach with one :-)
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
The UK v US healthcare debate is probably the fodder of many another thread, suffice to say that one big difference here is that your insurance can be pulled for many reasons including pre-existing conditions or reaching your annual/lifetime max payout. Admittedly you would have to be in a serious pickle health-wise for that to happen, but it could
I thought the ACA stopped this?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:07 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

OP, since you have found this site, you will miss nothing. You will soon find the cliche'd, stereotyped items mentioned so far in this thread are just that, and you will hopefully continue in life, gaining new experiences and sharing them, so we can all laugh together, at how different it is here
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:11 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
+1
+1 also. Hersheys chocolate is pure filth. Shouldn't be allowed to be sold, it's that disgusting.

To the OP, the thing I miss most about England is that society here appears to be just generally dumbed down. I know it's a stereotype, but it's just so true in my experience. I try not to let it get to me, but too often it does.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:09 pm
GC Holder

JeremyK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
OP, since you have found this site, you will miss nothing. You will soon find the cliche'd, stereotyped items mentioned so far in this thread are just that, and you will hopefully continue in life, gaining new experiences and sharing them, so we can all laugh together, at how different it is here
My wife is from Florida, so it is quite likely we could end up settling there. It all comes down to the availability of work to start with. We will then work out where we want to be located. I lived in Australia for a couple of years so have 'some' experience of heat & humidity, though I am told by my wife not quite as much as I will experience in Florida in the summer months.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

The Cadburys I have bought here is made in South Africa.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

The OP won't miss the sickening rate of fuel tax or duty in the UK. And its soared since I left the UK too. Its the fuel tax capital of Europe now.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

I have not been back for a couple of years but my Brother told me it has gone down?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:59 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
The OP won't miss the sickening rate of fuel tax or duty in the UK. And its soared since I left the UK too. Its the fuel tax capital of Europe now.
Agreed, though it's tempered here by the lack of any decent economical cars. Take the VW Golf, that has a stupidly inefficient 2.5L engine here, yet in Europe has a 1.4TSI that gets 50-60mpg.

I agree with the overall sentiment though, I feel I can drive far more here than in England because of the lower prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.