Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

Proper pint.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:22 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Missing a pint or bread or a chocolate bar and all that. The list is endless.

If you are looking for a list of things you might miss "during the move itself"--i.e. the practical bits of the move, we have a WIKI to help jog your memory and make a list of what you should be planning / doing as you get ready for the big day.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving

If I had to cite one specific point, I would say "keep a UK bank account active"! It can be a devil of a time to open an account while living overseas (I mean, a real pain bordering on impossible for many) so if you can try to keep at least one UK bank account 'active' and functional. Note you will have a US government 'FBAR' reporting requirement (likely) that you will have to file if you have more than $10,000 USD overseas, but it's really not a complicated form and the convenience of having a UK account is very handy for bills that remain or trips back home.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:31 am
GC Holder

JeremyK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Missing a pint or bread or a chocolate bar and all that. The list is endless.

If you are looking for a list of things you might miss "during the move itself"--i.e. the practical bits of the move, we have a WIKI to help jog your memory and make a list of what you should be planning / doing as you get ready for the big day.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving

If I had to cite one specific point, I would say "keep a UK bank account active"! It can be a devil of a time to open an account while living overseas (I mean, a real pain bordering on impossible for many) so if you can try to keep at least one UK bank account 'active' and functional. Note you will have a US government 'FBAR' reporting requirement (likely) that you will have to file if you have more than $10,000 USD overseas, but it's really not a complicated form and the convenience of having a UK account is very handy for bills that remain or trips back home.
That's a good read thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
Hershey's is shockingly bad and smells vile, in fact it smells like Parmesan haha
Hersheys is definitely NOT an acceptable substitute... for anything especially chocolate.

@Hoffage - I miss Lancaster. Probably because my bestest friend is there and she's the only person left in the world who will play Trivial pursuit with me. I certainly don't miss walking to walk uphill in the rain

Of the other things I miss I can either find them on Amazon, come here for advice on an acceptable substitute or work around them

Lx
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:40 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Proper pint.
If you live in Colorado and can't find good beer, sorry but you can't be looking that hard.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JeremyK
Just trying to mentally prepare myself for everything which is to come. My wife and I have been together for 8+ years so I have a fair idea I think, but the thing is I don't know what I don't know.
Decent Sausages and bacon
Good Chocolate (Hersheys tastes like brown candle wax)
Brown Sauce (although you can get HP online, Daddies is harder to find)
Straightforward access to healthcare

So pretty much mostly just food items.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
Hershey's is shockingly bad and smells vile, in fact it smells like Parmesan haha
Everyone goes on about Hershey's as if it were the only chocolate available in the US. What about Godiva, Ghirardeli, Lindt, Sees, etc? I cut Chocolate out of my diet 35 years ago so don't give a hoot any longer, but my g/f is a chocaholic and buys all the above. I've given her Cadbury's (from UK) and she's not excited by it.

On the 'TV news' front, I see that Al Jazeera America is now available on my cable lineup - channel 107. They are announcing an in-depth report about fracking in the UK...
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can find good beer, just not Greene King IPA out of a hand pump..

Call me picky.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
..... I've given her Cadbury's (from UK) and she's not excited by it.
Cadbury's chocolate is grossly overrated (better than Hershey's, but not by much).
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's one that you won't know until you get here. You might miss loads of stuff or nothing at all and anything in between.

Over the last few years I've been able to find solutions to just about anything I might have thought I missed. The internet can help take care of the TV, food and news. On top of that, I can watch more premiership football on TV here than I could back home as I didn't have SKY.

Fish n chips can be found here, as can a decent curry. Also, you can most certainly get good beer here, with relative ease.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:58 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's right, you scarper, Pulaski and you scarper quickly!
That's blasphemy!

(Yes Cadbury's chocolate is Holy)
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:07 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

The UK v US healthcare debate is probably the fodder of many another thread, suffice to say that one big difference here is that your insurance can be pulled for many reasons including pre-existing conditions or reaching your annual/lifetime max payout. Admittedly you would have to be in a serious pickle health-wise for that to happen, but it could

I don't miss too much about the UK other than family and going to the match. There are pubs here, pies here and if you look hard enough, HP sauce!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
The UK v US healthcare debate is probably the fodder of many another thread, suffice to say that one big difference here is that your insurance can be pulled for many reasons including pre-existing conditions or reaching your annual/lifetime max payout. Admittedly you would have to be in a serious pickle health-wise for that to happen, but it could
I don't think the Republicans have repealed the ACA just yet.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Think in terms of weather.........have you any idea what the weather has been like in much of the UK so far this "winter"?....

...weeks now of one Atlantic storm of wind and rain after another.....grey gloomy skies, heavy downpours practically every single day, flooded streets and roads and homes, trees falling like skittles, train and flight cancellations, power cuts and ruined Christmas dinners, mini Lake Districts all over the countryside, seafront promenades trashed by windblown sand and shingle and flying debris of all kinds including smashed shelters along the promenades at such places as Aberystwyth, Newquay, Weymouth, Blackpool...you name it it's been affected....and crumbling cliff faces and rock formations all along the coastlines.

Surely you would never miss this sort of thing would you?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
power cuts and ruined Christmas dinners,
Absolute nightmare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.