Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

NHS and free healthcare ?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
NHS and free healthcare ?
v high taxes.

My health insurance plus copays/deductibles is less than the tax I save working in the US compared to the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
v high taxes.

My health insurance plus copays/deductibles is less than the tax I save working in the US compared to the UK.
Just out of interest, do you use an online tool to calculate/compare this? There are so many different stealth taxes in both countries that I find it difficult to get a clear picture:

Income tax allowance (now £10k in the UK)
"National" (Federal) income tax
Local (state) income tax
Sales tax/VAT
Property tax/council tax
Big-ticket purchase tax (esp. stamp duty in the UK - can't recall there being anything similar in the US)
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just out of interest, do you use an online tool to calculate/compare this? There are so many different stealth taxes in both countries that I find it difficult to get a clear picture:

Local (state) income tax
Sales tax/VAT
Property tax/council tax
Big-ticket purchase tax (esp. stamp duty in the UK - can't recall there being anything similar in the US)
No, and in fairness I haven't checked in several years, but income tax rates have declined in the US, but NI has gone up in the UK. I was losing about 35% of my gross pay in the UK to statutory deductions in the US, about 25%, INCLUDING health insurance, and state income tax.

My property tax in the US is about 10% more (at current exchange rates) than I was paying 13 years ago in London, so I suspect as of today, that is "about a wash", and could be a saving to me.

US sales taxes are obviously a lot less than VAT in the UK, not least because in NC, at least, and until a few weeks ago, only the purchase of tangible goods was subject to sales tax. The tax has just been expanded to cover sports, concert, and cinema tickets. The rate of sales tax is only about 7% too.

So while I don't know the overall numbers for comparison, I DO know that there is nothing in the US that offsets my substantial saving in "statutory payroll deductions" including health insurance and costs), because the two most likely areas (property tax and sales tax), are "a wash" and substantial additional savings!

The scope for further tweaking the comparison are almost endless, for example if I had moved from my 700sqft terrace housed to something more suitable for a family, my UK council tax would have increased substantially, so I could make an argument that I am saving on property tax too.

I don't get the UK's personal allowance, but then I get to deduct mortgage interest and a few other things, so the net effect is not that great (and is mostly embedded in my big picture observation that deductions went from 35%. to 25%).

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 12th 2014 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Pulaski, now I know where you live It's something I've wondered off and on for a few months now
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
Ah Pulaski, now I know where you live It's something I've wondered off and on for a few months now
It's not the first time I've posted state-specific data.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...66&postcount=4

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 12th 2014 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

First time I've seen it though
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:49 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Local (state) income tax
Sales tax/VAT
Property tax/council tax
I can't speak for Pulaski though I seem to recall we have a very similar view on this.
I too figure I'm much better off than the UK even taking into account health insurance.

For me, I included everything above except sales tax/VAT and stamp duty. Sales tax is generally <10% versus VAT of 20% and stamp duty I would say is balanced out by much higher realtor fees here 6% versus 1.5%. I also included healthcare premiums as well as all deductions from payslip (PAYE and NI in UK and federal tax, SS contributions, Medicaid and healthcare in US).

The complicated thing is personal circumstances. The US system, in my opinion, heavily favors middle to high income single household earners and starts to get really beneficial when you itemize deductions.

I reckoned even comparing everything I was still 10-15% better off in the US and that's without taking into account how much further my money goes on items like houses (I'm talking specifically about Houston as that's where I live and therefore the comparison I made).
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:54 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

So apparently I took longer to write that than I realized!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both, those are two helpful explanations.

I tried to do the figures recently to figure out would I be better off back in the US or staying in the UK (as I had a job interview lined up there). That was why I was interested how Mr P was figuring out his US vs. UK tax situation.

For me, at my career stage, the major advantage of the UK is related to tax treatment of pensions (25% of pension pot can be drawn as tax-free cash). Also, as I am currently (and will continue to) paying pretty much all of my taxable salary into my pension, income tax is a non-issue.

Final salary pension also pretty much beats defied contribution retirement scheme any day.

Sorry, OT but just wanted to tie a bow on the sub-discussion.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Holiday - see other thread.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JeremyK
everything has its substitutes. Cadbury vs. herseys
BBC News vs. Fox.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:27 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
BBC News vs. Fox.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think anything living in the US that I miss from the UK , if I did it would be available here anyhow,
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's not the first time I've posted state-specific data.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...66&postcount=4
My sister-in-law lives in NC (I think near Charlotte).

Right - everyone to Pulaski's house for a cuppa! Mine is Yorkshire (obviously )

... Getting back on topic - I haven't been yet, but things I am thinking about include the aforementioned Yorkshire Tea. I live just outside the Lakes (so I will miss the natural beauty of that) ... umm.

Let's see - people. I will miss certain family and friends, but am used to moving around so that should be ok. I won't miss the chavviness that seems to be an increasing problem in Lancaster, the extreme lack of opportunities in my desired field. I won't miss the stoic British attitude of 'know your place' and 'don't aim high just be happy you have a job even a crappy one' that I get in my current workplace.

I will miss the banter, and will have to get used to adjusting my humour for the American ear. Umm. That's it really.

Hoffage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.