Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:25 pm
GC Holder

JeremyK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

Just trying to mentally prepare myself for everything which is to come. My wife and I have been together for 8+ years so I have a fair idea I think, but the thing is I don't know what I don't know.

Anyone got any random thoughts or lessons learned they could share?

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Last edited by JeremyK; Jan 11th 2014 at 7:51 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKC Moving to USA - What am I likely to miss.

Originally Posted by JeremyK
Just trying to mentally prepare myself for everything which is to come. My wife and I have been together for 8+ years so I have a fair idea I think, but the thing is I don't know what I don't know.

Anyone got any random thoughts or essons learned they could share?

Thanks,

Jeremy.
Approach the move as if you are going to a country with a culture as foreign to you as that of China or Russia, and you will be fine. My feeling is that people who think the US is going to be the UK with an accent have the most trouble adjusting when they find how very different it is. Relax, look upon the whole thing as an adventure, and have fun!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

What part of the US are you moving too? My part of the country isn't a million miles from the UK. It's different, yes, but I get the feeling other parts of the country have a way of life far more removed from the way of life back home than the ca coast does.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 9:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JeremyK

Anyone got any random thoughts or lessons learned they could share?

Thanks,

Jeremy.
You will enjoy the new experiences so much that it would be a shame to focus on trying to anticipate what you might miss. Look forward, not back.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 10:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very personal question. Here on BE there are some who seem to miss everything, and can hardly find a good word to say about the US, while others really don't really seem to miss much of anything.

I am in the latter camp, and if pushed I could string together a short list of things I miss a little bit, like black pudding, beers after work, and the Goodwood Festival of Speed, but really life goes on and I don't miss them to the extent there is a gap in my life, because there isn't. I have a nicer house than I could ever have afforded in the UK, and a Mustang GT which is only a "weekend car", a decent job (with more holiday than my last job in the UK! ), and a side business which I would never have been able to afford to get going in the UK. What's not to like?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2014 at 11:57 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:08 pm
Andy

a_J_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with all the comments above. It does depend on where you are going though. For example Pulaski misses drinks after work, but that's really common here in Portland.

You can probably find or substitute most of the 'things' you miss. It's things like family and friends that are probably the hardest. For the most part just try to embrace the differences and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's very difficult to predict what your emotional response will be. Generally I have found that men adapt better than women. Common things people miss are humour, pubs/dropping in for a cuppa, foodstuffs, TV programmes. Depending on your personal views, you may or may not struggle with greater emphasis on religion, insular view of the world, militarism, gun culture.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

Cadburys chocolate and fish and chips seems to the wisdom of the group
Old Jan 12th 2014, 3:12 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Pulaski I really like living here, of course I'm not quite as successful as him, but I'm doing OK. I feel as if I should have lived here all my life. That's not to say that there isn't things I don't miss, but it's the silly things like decent fish and chips. I had a craving for Lilt the other day. I miss my family of course, but my in laws are great and are like a second family. I miss by church too (I'm very much in the minority on that one on this forum) but I'm in a good church here.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

The only things I miss are chocolate and a TV channel without commercials.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Cadburys chocolate is fairly easy to get hold of where I am. Of course, it does cost a little more. There is apparently a fish and chip shop in the next town to me. I've yet to try it out.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:17 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the secular nature of Brotish Politics - especially down here in the South! Generally speaking though I like it pretty well, if like to take the Brotish working regulations on holiday etc and transplant them here, but it's not so bad.

Life anywhere is what you make it. You'll be miserable of you want to be.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:31 am
GC Holder

JeremyK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. The biggest I have seen mentioned is friends and family. We already live in a different part of the UK than where I grew up, so while I am fairly close to family, I am used to only seeing them in person occassionally. We all tend to keep in contact through phone, or facebook. In the future I'll be installing Skype so my parents can contact us easily on the other side.

All the other stuff is not so important, everything has its substitutes. Cadbury vs. herseys for example. I also haven't watched any UK tv in years.

I do like the sound of the possibility of owning a Mustang, and while still a sports car in the US, over here in the UK I think it is very much considered a specalist import car by insurers.

Thanks again to all. My excitement grows.

Jeremy.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:06 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Hershey's is shockingly bad and smells vile, in fact it smells like Parmesan haha
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:18 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
Hershey's is shockingly bad and smells vile, in fact it smells like Parmesan haha
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.