Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UK parent/s with kids born in the US... question?

UK parent/s with kids born in the US... question?

Old Dec 8th 2013, 12:42 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK parent/s with kids born in the US... question?

Originally Posted by robin1234
It certainly is a tradition here, ever since Burr-Hamilton.
Oh no, you've opened up that whole "anti-duelling" history in New York state since 1804! Remember Lyman Beecher's speechifying against the evils of duels, anyone?.... Now how are we duels supposed to feel?

Last edited by WEBlue; Dec 8th 2013 at 1:15 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 12:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Oh no, you've opened up that whole "anti-duelling" history in New York state since 1804! Remember Lyman Beecher's speechifying against the evils of duels, anyone?.... Now how are we duels supposed to feel?
I'm with him on the evils of duels. Temperance I'm not so keen about though.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 12:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I think another aspect of it is the vexed question of what it means to be an American. Aged about 14 and 12, we brought our children to a small town in northern New York State from suburban Boston. Our "American" identity was atheist/Jewish, "The Nation" if you will, party affiliation Working Families Party, in an area where the Fox News and Christian identities seem to dominate. I feel there's a sort of Stalinist desire to conform in America that makes it hard for some people to feel they belong. We all know this is particularly difficult for school aged children. Perhaps this threw my children back on their British identity as a safe haven ...
Old Dec 8th 2013, 1:14 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with him on the evils of duels. Temperance I'm not so keen about though.
Well, it was a bit of a problem in the early 1800s. Americans just couldn't handle their liquor back then. (They still distrust it IMO.)

He was right about the evils of slavery, but not about the evils of Catholicism. So many evils that man fought, not just duels.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 1:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Well, it was a bit of a problem in the early 1800s. Americans just couldn't handle their liquor back then. (They still distrust it IMO.)

He was right about the evils of slavery, but not about the evils of Catholicism. So many evils that man fought, not just duels.
Hmm .. In my book, the jury is still out on that. Still, anti-Catholicism in MA in the C19 was a bit over the top.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 2:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My kids are a bit to young but with both growing up with English versions of kids shows my mother sent over like Thomas the Tankengine etc, they have picked up a lot of English mannerisms and sayings.

The eldest sounds quite English, but the youngest, bit hard to say but I think sounds more local, which is weird.

Either way some things are a bit tough. I've noticed the eldest kid looking right before looking left when we cross the street for instance. I've been here long enough, but it's a habit I can't break and she seems to be picking it up from me to.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 3:02 pm
Under blue skies

Hmm .. In my book, the jury is still out on that. Still, anti-Catholicism in MA in the C19 was a bit over the top.
Yes, and like any "anti-group" movement it was dangerous. Very few Americans today realize that anger against the Irish and German Catholic immigrants pouring into the colonies led to acts of terror which would be called 'pogroms' when the Russians acted similarly against the Jews just a few decades later.

Sorry for the hijack!
Old Dec 8th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
My kids are a bit to young but with both growing up with English versions of kids shows my mother sent over like Thomas the Tankengine etc, they have picked up a lot of English mannerisms and sayings.

The eldest sounds quite English, but the youngest, bit hard to say but I think sounds more local, which is weird.

Either way some things are a bit tough. I've noticed the eldest kid looking right before looking left when we cross the street for instance. I've been here long enough, but it's a habit I can't break and she seems to be picking it up from me to.
My kids had English accents until they started school and people would always comment on how cute they sounded. It's amazing when you take them back to visit how quickly their accents change too. Have you taken yours back yet?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 4:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
My kids had English accents until they started school and people would always comment on how cute they sounded. It's amazing when you take them back to visit how quickly their accents change too. Have you taken yours back yet?
I haven't no...but since the eldest has started kindergarten, she has certainly picked up a lot of American words and some local accent, but it is mixed with English words and sounds.

It's quite odd
Old Dec 9th 2013, 1:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really 'promote' it as such, I just am that way. My daughter isn't old enough to really understand what it means that I'm British, to her I just talk funny.

She'll pick up what she picks up and will ignore the rest. I'd be fighting a losing battle with that one if I tried to do otherwise.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 2:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

We happen to live within 50 miles of several humiliating American defeats in the War of 1812, the Battle of Cryslers Farm being the most glorious Canadian victory, so we did visit battlefields a lot. Beyond that, I let the kids figure it out for themselves.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:35 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with md. Your response about being "half British" seems based on genetics, yet your question and the tone of this thread deals with culture.

If you want to introduce genetics into it, I am 100% WASP (well, maybe not the 'P' part any more), as is my ex-wife and thus our children. Yet, my ancestors immigrated from [what is today] the UK to the USA in the mid to late 1700s. My ex-wife's family on her father's side were also early immigrants but her mother was a war bride who naturalized.

In no way is my ex-wife any percent British - born and raised in the USA of a British mother, she is culturally 100% American.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
... My response 'your half British too!'
Originally Posted by md95065
Since the child is more than just the sum of it's parents I'm not sure that I agree that she is really "half British" - suppose that "who she is" comes 50% from her and 50% from her parents (25% from each) then I would argue that, having been born in the US, to US and UK parents she is really more like 75% American (her 50% + 25% from your husband) and 25% British (from you).
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Just as an aside, on a trip to Cornwall some years back, I had occasion to talk to not one, but two, U.S. born Cornish. Both had been conscripted into the U.S. military during the Vietnam war. One had been a Marine at Khe Sanh and felt perfectly justified in dissing George W since he was a combat veteran. The other had ended up in the Navy but stationed ashore in Tennessee [long story]. He was amused that US civilians had trouble relating to a man in a US Cracker Jack suit who spoke with a Cornish accent.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:10 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

My 02, while it is perhaps true that raised in the US really makes you more American, being 'half and haff' automatically makes one genetically & intellectually superior to everyone else.

I can also outdrink my peers.

Pete
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
My 02, while it is perhaps true that raised in the US really makes you more American, being 'half and haff' automatically makes one genetically & intellectually superior to everyone else.

I can also outdrink my peers.

Pete
Are you intellectually superior to those who know that expressing 'my two cents' numerically is 0.02, though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.