Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UK to overtake Germany by 2030

UK to overtake Germany by 2030

Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to overtake Germany by 2030

Originally Posted by Boiler
One of the sad things about getting old is that there is a temptation to look back only on the positives.

I think GDP can be very misleading but I am not aware of any other reliable measure. And it may be valid comparatively.

These forecasts seem to assume that all other factors will remain the same, which seems highly unlikely.

There are likely to be events both foreseeable and not which will make events interesting.
GDP growth is not the perfect indicator but it overall indicates the economic activity occurring in an economy since it measures many different leading economic indicator trends.
  • Consumer Confidence which increases demand.
  • Housing starts.
  • Housing prices which increases consumer confidence.
  • Manufacturing growth.
  • Factory orders.
  • Stock Market growth which creates the wealth effect which increases demand.
  • Financial health of banks allowing businesses to borrow and expand.
  • Businesses confidence which causes expansion and replacement of equipment.
  • etc.
Job creation and unemployment rates are trailing indicators and can be skewed by government policies. For example, Japan has a low unemployment rate either forced upon companies by government policies and/or tradition but the country has a very unhealthy economy. With a unhealthy economy and a low unemployment rate, this puts a heavy burden on businesses restricting profits and expansion.

Eventually as GDP grows, business profits rise and job creation occurs which reduces the need for government spending and tax revenues increase reducing government deficits and possibly even creating a budget surplus.

If I could predict what would happen to an economy 6 months in advance, I'd be a genius.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 30th 2013 at 1:49 am.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to overtake Germany by 2030

Personally, I prefer to get my information from the real world, not from an organisation that is funded by BANKS AND BANKERS:

http://www.cepr.org/content/supporters-cepr