UK Divorce Help

Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Divorce Help

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I don't know your actual situation but any divorce involving lawyers either in the UK or USA is going to cost $$$. Especially if an asset such as a home is involved. Step very carefully. Call me cynical but it is quite amazing how lawyers on both sides of the Atlantic are able to 'bill' and drag out a divorce case where there is a pot of gold (known as you homes equity) to be mined. My advice is to ensure you are both on the uncontested page and that you visit the lawyer whom you do choose to assist with uncontested paperwork together. Failure to do so may end up costing you. It is amazing how many sole visits to a lawyer result in a contested divorce, again especially when their is an asset such as a home to be 'mined.'
Good point. I know someone who upon entering profession attended a meeting between two opposing lawyers in divorce case. One was complaining how they would make money, but the other said you forgot about the vacation home- that is more than enough to make it worthwhile. At the end the legal fees overall were paid through sale of the vacation home. or as you say lawyer may create more problems that were really there.

A lawyer told me once the difference between criminal and divorce practice- in criminal law you have bad people giving the best behavior, in divorce practice you have good people at their worst behavior.

If no significant assets involved, and if not amicable the divorce, try to get a fixed fee contract from lawyer up front.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Good point. I know someone who upon entering profession attended a meeting between two opposing lawyers in divorce case. One was complaining how they would make money, but the other said you forgot about the vacation home- that is more than enough to make it worthwhile. At the end the legal fees overall were paid through sale of the vacation home. or as you say lawyer may create more problems that were really there.

A lawyer told me once the difference between criminal and divorce practice- in criminal law you have bad people giving the best behavior, in divorce practice you have good people at their worst behavior.

If no significant assets involved, and if not amicable the divorce, try to get a fixed fee contract from lawyer up front.
It's a pity Michael is no longer active on BE as he used to recount his personal experience of divorce - he had been through divorce at least twice. The first time Michael and his soon-to-be ex-wife agreed between themselves how things were to be divided and then he went to a lawyer, who wanted to make a fight out of it, even to the extent of adding things that Michael and his wife hadn't agreed to - he deleted clauses from the documents himself. IIRC the second time he went it alone, filing papers with the court himself.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 26th 2017 at 5:19 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Isnt there a residency requirement to determine which court has jurisdiction ?
yes, and in the UK the requirement is that you have to have been separated for 2 years before filing in most cases.

Also serving papers internationally might be more difficult and more costly.