Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Uber's operating license in London revoked

Uber's operating license in London revoked

Old Sep 23rd 2017, 2:15 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uber's operating license in London revoked

Never used uber, but their licence wasn't revoked, just not renewed. That is the point of licences ,is it not.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 5:20 am
Banned

jsted is an unknown quantity at this point

Just temporary they are too big to simply disappear they will be remain there
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 12:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Load of anti-capitalist BS by TFL and unions.
Maybe so, but all uber need to do is make an effort to comply with laws and regulations in each jurisdiction. Anti-capitalist London is not the only place uber has been called to account. Maybe anti-capitalism is the way to go, though? TfL runs a pretty good transportation system.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
May Uber die a slow death that they have brought upon themselves.
I have moved over to Lyft.
Me too, I'm not fond of their ex-CEO/resident douche.

Also, Uber is burning cash to subsidize rides. The fares will increase at some point.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

The only issues I've had with black cabs are actually trying to find one when needed, usually when in business trying to get back to a train station or airport.

Minicabs I have a longstanding issue with, regardless of country or city - I am just bad luck or a jinx, always have been. Even had an issue with them on my wedding day! Never turn up, turn up late, stinky, old cars. I love Uber for all the reasons listed - and perfect when in a country where I don't speak the language or carry cash currency.

Having said that, I am uneasy about Uber business practices. It's clear they're running at a loss now to drive others out of business and establish their business for the day that driverless cars are mainstream. But until the day that minicab companies and black cabs catch up with the technology, stop berating their customers and listen to why they prefer Uber, then I'm going to continue using Uber where I can.

In 20 years time, the only people using black cabs in London will be tourists getting a "heritage" ride.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 6:08 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Industry with powerful political friends is being disrupted by a company with a good idea. Company doing the disruption is suddenly notified that their papers... are not in order. Disruptor company is locked out of the market. All's well with the world.

Other industries trying this gambit: buggy driver unions, railroads, telephone cartels, the music industry, the movie industry, auto makers, and many many local taxi unions. All failed.

Go ahead, Khan. Fight the future. Stick it to your constituency to make a union happy. Tough competitors like Uber are mean and bad (also: run by those blasted Yanks). Just stick your fingers in your ears and sing "lalalala". I'm sure this will work, ride sharing is just a fad. I assure you.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 6:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Austin, we have a love/hate relationship with Uber.

The city of Austin kicked them out last year because they refused to comply with a city regulation of fingerprinting. Uber set up an online petition to try to force our city to take them back but it didnt work. Then Uber lost just about all the sympathy we had for them (not much tbh) by spending millions of $ on lobbying the State to force Austin to amend their rules. The people of Austin get really peed off with being told what to do by the State and especially when it is so easily manipulated by money, as in this case.

When Uber left, another local company stepped in. But this time with much fairer pricing for the drivers and they also donate profits to local charities. And they complied with the fingerprinting regulation. We love Ride Austin. Drivers prefer Ride Austin.

Uber is now back but is having problems recruiting drivers. Last I looked they were offering $1500 signups to new drivers in Austin and guaranteeing $35 an hour. Uber has a terrible reputation for paying drivers. This link is from March 2017 when Uber left Austin and drivers were coming from Houston to avoid working for Uber in Houston.Houston drivers are commuting to Austin rather than work for Uber - Mar. 8, 2017

So London, take a breath and encourage a local company to step in.

I am not a fan of Austin yellow cabs. My arrival in Austin and getting a rip-off driver who took me to the wrong hotel and then tried to make me pay for the whole journey.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Never been able to try Uber as they have not been permitted to operate here, although government is apparently looking to create regulations that will permit them to operate here end of the year/early next year.

Never had an issue with Yellow Cab one of the bigger ones here, clean cars, mostly Toyota hybrids, friendly drivers, easy to use website and app to get a car, updates on the app how far the car is, and an estimated fare although you pay the driver directly. Cash, credit or debit.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
The only issues I've had with black cabs are actually trying to find one when needed, usually when in business trying to get back to a train station or airport.

Minicabs I have a longstanding issue with, regardless of country or city - I am just bad luck or a jinx, always have been. Even had an issue with them on my wedding day! Never turn up, turn up late, stinky, old cars. I love Uber for all the reasons listed - and perfect when in a country where I don't speak the language or carry cash currency.

Having said that, I am uneasy about Uber business practices. It's clear they're running at a loss now to drive others out of business and establish their business for the day that driverless cars are mainstream. But until the day that minicab companies and black cabs catch up with the technology, stop berating their customers and listen to why they prefer Uber, then I'm going to continue using Uber where I can.

In 20 years time, the only people using black cabs in London will be tourists getting a "heritage" ride.
In 20 years autonomous cabs will be the norm. If Uber sticks around till then, they would be using said technology.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 8:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Industry with powerful political friends is being disrupted by a company with a good idea. Company doing the disruption is suddenly notified that their papers... are not in order. Disruptor company is locked out of the market. All's well with the world.

Other industries trying this gambit: buggy driver unions, railroads, telephone cartels, the music industry, the movie industry, auto makers, and many many local taxi unions. All failed.

Go ahead, Khan. Fight the future. Stick it to your constituency to make a union happy. Tough competitors like Uber are mean and bad (also: run by those blasted Yanks). Just stick your fingers in your ears and sing "lalalala". I'm sure this will work, ride sharing is just a fad. I assure you.
Is it too much to require Uber to comply with laws and regulations?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Apparently. Which is why I feel divided about Uber. Clearly the monopolistic taxi business was in need of a shakeup but, otoh, some of Uber's behaviour has been so egregious that there are legitimate issues around them. I don't know the ins and outs of Uber's London situation (I did use them once in London last week when I had a bunch of bags) but it's hardly the first city they have run into problems because of their conduct.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
You keep asking that question without giving us a clue as to 'what' laws/regulations you are talking about. If there's some archaic law requiring all cabs to be painted black, or to salute to some statue while driving by, then they should ignore those laws/regulations and those regulations should be changed. But if you are talking about laws/regulations that still make sense in a 21st century environment, then they should comply. So what are these laws/regulations in particular?

ETA: I've never personally had the need to take Uber or Lyft. On the very odd occasion I arrive at my local BART station and can't get a ride home, I will take a cab that is sitting right there because it's convenient.

I think regular cabs suck in general - dirty, old cars, smoking drivers who roll all the windows down, rip off rates, etc. I hope Uber does disrupt that archaic old industry. But I do hear they are running at a huge loss, partly hoping to kill off competition before their money runs out, and they pay badly. So how long this whole gig will last remains to be seen.

Last edited by Steerpike; Sep 25th 2017 at 7:19 am.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

UBER seems to be likely to make some concessions.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/uber-could...084200225.html
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You keep asking that question without giving us a clue as to 'what' laws/regulations you are talking about. If there's some archaic law requiring all cabs to be painted black, or to salute to some statue while driving by, then they should ignore those laws/regulations and those regulations should be changed. But if you are talking about laws/regulations that still make sense in a 21st century environment, then they should comply. So what are these laws/regulations in particular?

ETA: I've never personally had the need to take Uber or Lyft. On the very odd occasion I arrive at my local BART station and can't get a ride home, I will take a cab that is sitting right there because it's convenient.

I think regular cabs suck in general - dirty, old cars, smoking drivers who roll all the windows down, rip off rates, etc. I hope Uber does disrupt that archaic old industry. But I do hear they are running at a huge loss, partly hoping to kill off competition before their money runs out, and they pay badly. So how long this whole gig will last remains to be seen.
Their drivers weren't reporting criminal activity in the cars. Sexual assaults specifically.

This is the company that deliberately tried to stop government regulators using their service by greyballing.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Also, Uber is burning cash to subsidize rides. The fares will increase at some point.
Some of the black cabbies are making this point, but it's nonsense.

And oh, the irony of becoming a monopoly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.