Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Uber's operating license in London revoked

Uber's operating license in London revoked

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 5:19 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uber's operating license in London revoked

Only just started using Uber a couple of months ago. It's a really good service, and we've used it both here and recently in Costa Rica.

Great service, very prompt, affordable prices. I hope this gets overturned.

The black cabs are ridiculously overpriced and the drivers rude as hell.
We had a layover at Heathrow a few months ago and decided to use the time to visit the 'Arry Potter studios.

We got in the taxi rank line, and watched a miserable SOB who looked like Frank Butcher berate a couple who had a pair of skis in a bag. He was so rude to them - berating them that their skis would damage his roof upholstery.

So the couple walked away. We asked for a price to get to Leavesden studios from this asshole, and he said, 90 pounds. 90 pounds, one way, for a 22 mile trip.

We ended up renting a driver with a Jaguar who drove us out there and back for 130 pounds.

PS. the taxi cabs here in Denver, are twice the price and never show up on time.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Sep 22nd 2017 at 5:22 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 5:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uber's operating license in London revoked

London has rules and regulations for taxis and private hire vehicles. If Uber, and the private contractors who work with Uber, would comply with the rules, then there'd be no problems. Uber doesn't have the right to bend the rules as it suits them. London isn't the only place in the world where uber has had problems like this.

I'm a Londoner and I've never taken a taxi or private hire vehicle in my entire life, so maybe I'm not really entitled to comment. (In London - I've taken cabs etc. in other cities.)
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Black cabs are modern highwaymen!!! Wouldn’t surprise me if they had put pressure to get Ubers license removed. I love Uber. It’s cheap, convenient and I love how you can track the car. Everything a black cab isnt. I was quoted £40 to get from terminal 4 to my Home at the time in Stanwell Moor. 3 miles max!!!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 7:43 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
London has rules and regulations for taxis and private hire vehicles. If Uber, and the private contractors who work with Uber, would comply with the rules, then there'd be no problems. Uber doesn't have the right to bend the rules as it suits them. London isn't the only place in the world where uber has had problems like this.

I'm a Londoner and I've never taken a taxi or private hire vehicle in my entire life, so maybe I'm not really entitled to comment. (In London - I've taken cabs etc. in other cities.)
This is union pressure from the black cabs, I'll bet dollars to peanuts.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend did the Knowledge, must be 20 years ago, now supplanted by an App.

I think the only time I took a Taxi in London was when it was on expenses, never taken an Uber etc but times change and this is a classic example where technology has rendered a business redundant.

I know somebody what has an old printing press and remember the Fleet St issues back in the 70's when technology wiped out that activity.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Uber were kicked out of Austin too . Not doing enough security checks or something, their extremely juvenile CEO flounced/skulked back to silicon valley like a sullen teenager.

I tried to sign up for an Uber account once, I was out with some friends and errr, well had had a couple of glasses of wine and they realised that since I didn't already have an account I could get $20 off the first ride which would get us all home for almost nothing. I gave up, I couldn't understand why the blinking application kept asking me what car I drove, wtf did they want to know that? I couldn't seem to get past that bit so I gave up and we all paid to get home. Turns out that I had tried to register as a driver. stupid app - who signs up to be a driver at 1 in themorning and can't get the registration finished and is that the sort of person you want to be driving for you???
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:31 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I got rid of Uber after my account got hacked and they did nothing about it.

Lyft for me now - they also at least do background checks
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Never taken a Black-cab myself when I lived and visited London. Have ridden in them with familiy and friends, usually from Heathrow to home.

The rude taxi drivers I recal were mini-cab drivers. As mentioned above my expereince with Black-cabs is very limited so that could explain not expereincing a rude Black-cab.

I just use the tube, rail or rent a vehicle if I need to get around. Around central London, I use the tube or just walk!

Over here: never used any of the ride-share services (Uber, Lyft etc..) I just rent a vehicle or use my own or taken the bus or train.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:54 pm
Peace onion

Uber and Lyft just offer a superior service.

If you haven't tried them, I'd give them a go:

- Very prompt, arrives in minutes.
- Cars we've had have always been clean and in good condition.
- You can follow the route so you know they aren't taking you around the houses to pad the fare.
- Super affordable.
- No cash! No worries about tipping enough.

Just overall, super convenient. No. I'm not getting paid to promote this.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 10:00 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

May Uber die a slow death that they have brought upon themselves.
I have moved over to Lyft.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 10:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Never taken a Black-cab myself when I lived and visited London. Have ridden in them with familiy and friends, usually from Heathrow to home.

The rude taxi drivers I recal were mini-cab drivers. As mentioned above my expereince with Black-cabs is very limited so that could explain not expereincing a rude Black-cab.

I just use the tube, rail or rent a vehicle if I need to get around. Around central London, I use the tube or just walk!

Over here: never used any of the ride-share services (Uber, Lyft etc..) I just rent a vehicle or use my own or taken the bus or train.
Yeah, public transport in London is so comprehensive, I've never, in fifty plus years, remotely been in need of a taxi. Now, with the Oyster card plus concessionary bus pass, payment is easy too. (Or free on the bus.) And, as you say, walking for miles in London is fun too!

I just don't understand why these companies like Uber think the laws and regulations don't apply to them? I believe Hackney carriages and cabs have been strictly regulated for at least two hundred years, not just in London. Same in Paris, New York etc.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Uber were kicked out of Austin too . Not doing enough security checks or something, their extremely juvenile CEO flounced/skulked back to silicon valley like a sullen teenager.

I tried to sign up for an Uber account once, I was out with some friends and errr, well had had a couple of glasses of wine and they realised that since I didn't already have an account I could get $20 off the first ride which would get us all home for almost nothing. I gave up, I couldn't understand why the blinking application kept asking me what car I drove, wtf did they want to know that? I couldn't seem to get past that bit so I gave up and we all paid to get home. Turns out that I had tried to register as a driver. stupid app - who signs up to be a driver at 1 in themorning and can't get the registration finished and is that the sort of person you want to be driving for you???
Somebody who had had a couple of glasses of wine?
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 10:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Somebody who had had a couple of glasses of wine?

someone who has had a "couple" of glasses of wine and decides to be an uber driver at 1 in the morning and cannot complete the application. Doesn't sound like the ideal taxi driver, non? Maybe perfect for uber though with their disregard for the rules designed to safeguard their passengers.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah, public transport in London is so comprehensive, I've never, in fifty plus years, remotely been in need of a taxi. Now, with the Oyster card plus concessionary bus pass, payment is easy too. (Or free on the bus.) And, as you say, walking for miles in London is fun too!

I just don't understand why these companies like Uber think the laws and regulations don't apply to them? I believe Hackney carriages and cabs have been strictly regulated for at least two hundred years, not just in London. Same in Paris, New York etc.
Agree on walking in central London being fun. In my teens and 20s I used to see it as an adventure ; loved visiting all the small shops and exploring the nookes and cranies in and around central London.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Load of anti-capitalist BS by TFL and unions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.