Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Trip to The Motherland

Trip to The Motherland

Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip to The Motherland

I went. I saw. I ate. Just back from a trip to Blighty. My thoughts after a year away.. the roads are really narrow. The cars are really small. Brighton has gotten really shabby. Fish n chips were frozen! Harvey Nics in Leeds cafe is great. The Ivy Cafe in St Johns Wood is deffo worth a visit. Primark is still a go to for vests pjs and undies. M&S has vastly improved. Prosseco seems to be the drink of choice. It still rains. Every day. It's cold. Still. People can understand what I'm saying. The London skyline is amazing. Selfridges is still the best store ever apart from Fortnum & Maisons. Cake and sweets are still to be eaten. Every day. Tesco quiche is the business. It's very cloudy and grey. Every day. Friends and family were a joy to see. Norwegian air from Oakland is great. Gatwick airport is easy to navigate. It's still "home". USA is still "home" I still have a foot in both countries. Off to eat a rich tea and drink a cup of tetley.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to The Motherland

The weather has been crap lately. However a few weeks ago it was really nice. You can't ever rely on good weather in the UK even in July and August. Went on a coach holiday to Cornwall with my family back in August 1993. My mum had to change the week of the holidays because I couldn't get off the time they wanted. The weather was miserable the whole 5 days. It was glorious the fortnight later, when they had originally booked for.

Glad you were happy with Norwegian. We think we'll go with them next time. It'll be especially good if by then Gatwick have pre-clearance for US immigration.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
The weather has been crap lately. However a few weeks ago it was really nice. You can't ever rely on good weather in the UK even in July and August. Went on a coach holiday to Cornwall with my family back in August 1993. My mum had to change the week of the holidays because I couldn't get off the time they wanted. The weather was miserable the whole 5 days. It was glorious the fortnight later, when they had originally booked for.

Glad you were happy with Norwegian. We think we'll go with them next time. It'll be especially good if by then Gatwick have pre-clearance for US immigration.
I would recommend them. Leg rooms fine. Seats are a tad narrow but no more I guess than other economy cabins. Next time il book cheapest fare. No meal and pay for checked case. Entertainment was goiod and you can buy snacks. All in all good. You can bid to get upgraded to premium. I wasn't successful but yep give them a try 👍🏽
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel

rycariad — Ode to Barry Island, by Max Boyce
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Ode to Barry Island, by Max Boyce
I was expecting something about steam trains, rusty ones!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 27th 2017 at 8:42 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chawkins99
😳😳👍🏽🇬🇧
Old Jul 27th 2017, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I went. I saw. I ate. Just back from a trip to Blighty. My thoughts after a year away.. the roads are really narrow. The cars are really small. Brighton has gotten really shabby. Fish n chips were frozen! Harvey Nics in Leeds cafe is great. The Ivy Cafe in St Johns Wood is deffo worth a visit. Primark is still a go to for vests pjs and undies. M&S has vastly improved. Prosseco seems to be the drink of choice. It still rains. Every day. It's cold. Still. People can understand what I'm saying. The London skyline is amazing. Selfridges is still the best store ever apart from Fortnum & Maisons. Cake and sweets are still to be eaten. Every day. Tesco quiche is the business. It's very cloudy and grey. Every day. Friends and family were a joy to see. Norwegian air from Oakland is great. Gatwick airport is easy to navigate. It's still "home". USA is still "home" I still have a foot in both countries. Off to eat a rich tea and drink a cup of tetley.
28 years here and both places are still home to me

We went in June and the weather was amazing. First time we have ever had a summer trip back. We ate, we drank and we walked. We walked for miles and miles and I loved every minute of it. It's not something we can do very much here in Texas, especially in the month of June!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 5:36 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I always get a big kick out of being in London again. it's so alive. So much to catch the eye and do. Los Angeles isn't a city really. it's more a collection of suburbs all joined together.

I find it hard to get used to the dampness in the UK. You unpack your clothes and hang em in the closet and next day they feel damp
Old Jul 28th 2017, 1:07 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
It's very cloudy and grey. Every day
No change eh?

Going back in August with the wife, she was expecting 30 odd degrees () as it stands it looks like we're in for a 20 degree high.

It's gonna be cold after enduring 40 - 45 degrees in Texas the last 4 weeks
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

I had 3 weeks there in early July and only 1 rainy day.Warm and Sunny so ideal for walking around. Kids have just reached their 10s so decided to do sight-seeing as they were too young when living there. A week in London, a week in SW, and a week on the south coast.
I agree about the roads, my kids could not believe that some of the roads were two way, and found it amusing when I had to pull onto the verge to let a car pass. Also the speed is higher, they are not used to 80+. I hated the Kia I had, it would auto- stop at the wrong time and force me to drop out of gear and start again. It also tweaked the steering wheel if I was no dead-center of the lane. The whole manual thing caused much amusement.
Great to see old friends, but the lack of service and general pettiness left me happy to come back here.
At LHR I picked up prepaid SIM cards for all our unlocked phones, great value for money and didn't have to worry about kids running up roaming charges.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs DJ and I had a 10 day visit to Blighty, we checked the weather, so went to Nordys rack and topped up on coats/jackets etc. After 1 day in UK we were in bloody M&S buying shorts and T shirts, damned heatwave!! Of course nowhere we stayed had AC, it was humid as eff! All the Brits were saying its 'lovely', me n her moaning about the heat!!

Anyway I topped up on Yorkshire tea, and monster munch!!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dj6372
Mrs DJ and I had a 10 day visit to Blighty, we checked the weather, so went to Nordys rack and topped up on coats/jackets etc. After 1 day in UK we were in bloody M&S buying shorts and T shirts, damned heatwave!! Of course nowhere we stayed had AC, it was humid as eff! All the Brits were saying its 'lovely', me n her moaning about the heat!!

Anyway I topped up on Yorkshire tea, and monster munch!!
I'm currently at 97f so loved the cool. I topped up on curly whirlys. Rich tea and digestives. I ate enough whilst I was there to last till next visit.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a week walking in Cornwall..... weather was perfect, warm and sunny, not brain draining hot like San Diego. Cornish pasties still good. .....
Old Jul 29th 2017, 6:02 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

We went for three weeks mid June - early July. Weather was fab!

I still love the old place (and I still think the food is way better), but it doesn't feel like home to me any longer.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here now. It's people and places I'm connecting with. I feel at home, this is still my home, I'm happy to be here. Curry and crumpets were enjoyed early on (but not together). Had a happy mooch around Waitrose and so pleased to see parent and child parking spaces and shopping trolleys with foot brakes. America could adopt that idea (trolleys drifting off with children aboard while I'm unloading shopping more than once in TN. )

Bloody cyclists though. I don't miss them when I'm in Tennessee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.