Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Old Oct 24th 2012, 10:49 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Geoff, I was refused for a chase sapphire recently, ( too many applications! ).

Read this, http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/6-...on-phone-call/

They have a reconsideration line you may want to try.

It worked for me, but perhaps the 2 year history will be an obstacle....nothing to lose by trying though
Originally Posted by GeoffM
Do you actually have a day job, beyond sprouts with your cornflakes?! Much appreciated though.

I've been issued with my first unsecured credit card (Capital One, $1000 limit, no bonuses - this'll just be to build history before I can join in with the big boys) so the same day that was approved online I tried applying for a couple of the ones mentioned in this thread. However, both went for further evaluation so the "soft" hits on my credit score probably won't apply unfortunately - it's now over a week later and no decision yet.
What he said. Always phone the reconsideration line a few days after submitting your app. At least then you get a chance to plead your case - and I haven't yet got through to anyone who wasn't prepared to listen.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 10:52 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

To get office max's 5x points, do I have to go through the Portal ? e.g. If I just went into the store would I still get 5X ?
Are you talking about using the Chase INK Bold/Plus? If so then you get 5x points per dollar whenever you spend at an office supply store, whether it be online or in person. It's amazing how much I spend on rubber bands and paper clips these days...
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
What he said. Always phone the reconsideration line a few days after submitting your app. At least then you get a chance to plead your case - and I haven't yet got through to anyone who wasn't prepared to listen.
Do you mean phone them before the decision has been made? Both are pending for the moment, with one asking for the copy of the SSN and proof of address. I think it was about 10 days ago I did all three applications.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:06 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Do you mean phone them before the decision has been made? Both are pending for the moment, with one asking for the copy of the SSN and proof of address. I think it was about 10 days ago I did all three applications.
Yes. Makes everything much quicker and gives a better chance of a good result in my experience.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:56 pm
Septic Sprout

Exclamation TODAY ONLY - 75,000 points with AMEX Gold Business card

The Points Guy covers here.

This lightning offer seems to be happening every few months - last time Mrs tonrob jumped on it. 75,000 equals the highest bonus I've seen for this card. The minimum spend's a bit high ($10,000 in 4 months) but there are creative ways to deal with this.

AMEX Membership Rewards transfer 1:1 to a number of different airlines, including BA, Virgin Atlantic and Delta, and they also have periodic bonuses (e.g. 30-50% when transferring to BA, 67% to Delta) so you can actually get quite a tidy sum of miles out of this.

You don't really need to have a business of your own in order to get a card - I happen to buy and sell stuff on eBay occasionally, and this is what I told them my business was when they asked.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

So I have points that are going to expire and going to use them for a Hotel in London for next year. 2 nights in London.

I have 2 options - Worldpoints or Avios.

Worldpoints seems a lot better:

With Worldpoints: Sheraton Park Lane (5 Stars!) - 58,292 points OR Hotel Verta (also 5 star) 45, 180 points.

Avios points: Cadogan - 4 stars - 78,000 points OR The Kengsington 4.5 stars at 75,950 points (more stars - less points?)

Do you know why Avios is so much more? It's almost a too good to be true thing with the worldpoints.

Want to make sure I'm not missing anything here before I book it.

All nice areas by the by.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:05 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by toopie28
So I have points that are going to expire and going to use them for a Hotel in London for next year. 2 nights in London.

I have 2 options - Worldpoints or Avios.

Worldpoints seems a lot better:

With Worldpoints: Sheraton Park Lane (5 Stars!) - 58,292 points OR Hotel Verta (also 5 star) 45, 180 points.

Avios points: Cadogan - 4 stars - 78,000 points OR The Kengsington 4.5 stars at 75,950 points (more stars - less points?)

Do you know why Avios is so much more? It's almost a too good to be true thing with the worldpoints.

Want to make sure I'm not missing anything here before I book it.

All nice areas by the by.
Hi toopie

I don't have any experience at all with Worldpoints, and I have never used Avios to book anything other than flights, so my advice on your situation may be limited, but your question did stir a few random thoughts so I might as well share those in case they help in any way:

Think of points or miles in different programmes as being different currencies - just as one Pound is not worth the same as one Euro or one Dollar, similarly one Avios point is not worth the same as one Worldpoint - so the value you can get from each when trying to buy a particular things will vary.

You said one of the reasons you were thinking of using your points is that they were due to expire. I don't know about Worldpoints, but in general there's no reason for anyone to let airline or hotel points expire - as with most of the programmes, any activity in the account will 're-set' the clock. Many programmes have either shopping portals, dining portals, or both where activity will qualify. At BA's eStore, the cheapest thing I could find to buy was an iTunes song for a dollar. Buy this and you'll prevent your BA miles from expiring for another three years.

My final thought was one of opportunity cost when I saw how many Avios you'd spend on your hotel. Only you can decide whether this is worth it - I didn't look at the hotel itself all, but my mind did go to the BA award chart for flights, where 75,000 Avios gets you 3 coach class returns within "Zone 4" (that's anywhere in the lower 48 on BA-partner American Airlines to you), an even greater number of short-hop tickets (for example anywhere AA serves a little closer to where you live), or even a first class single to London on BA (regular cash price $12,000 for a random day I plugged in next March) - note that taxes and fees will apply here of course but are minimal if you fly domestically on AA.

At the end of the day - the decision is yours, and in my mind the miles have zero realized value until you actually come to use them, so if nothing I've said even remotely appeals then spending your Avios on a hotel is probably the right move.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Tonrob,

Thanks for all that information - makes a lot of sense.

I save my points for years then when I decide to spend them... wish I'd seen this post years ago.

For example - I have about 145,000 avios points. When I tried to book my flights back home - no points flights available. Couldn't even pay partially with points. The problem is the time of year I go (either Christmas OR New Year) and the fact that I don't know until 2 months before the dates I can go. Now even tho I'm flexible a few days here and there, Avios only had flights a week after or before the date.

I've decided to use them for our river cruise flights next year.

With Worldpoints - I cancelled the card. So the points run out a year after the fact. It kills me when I think it's the equiv of about 58K a night!

Thanks again!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:51 pm
Septic Sprout

Tonrob,

Thanks for all that information - makes a lot of sense.

I save my points for years then when I decide to spend them... wish I'd seen this post years ago.

For example - I have about 145,000 avios points. When I tried to book my flights back home - no points flights available. Couldn't even pay partially with points. The problem is the time of year I go (either Christmas OR New Year) and the fact that I don't know until 2 months before the dates I can go. Now even tho I'm flexible a few days here and there, Avios only had flights a week after or before the date.

I've decided to use them for our river cruise flights next year.

With Worldpoints - I cancelled the card. So the points run out a year after the fact. It kills me when I think it's the equiv of about 58K a night!

Thanks again!
Often when trying to use miles for long-distance flights, you get the best results either 11 months out or 11 days out (not exactly, but you get what I'm saying) - and the busier the time of year the less liklihood of scoring the result you need.

I'm lucky in that I have a lot of flexibility as to when I travel, and I also have miles in various programmes so I can potentially fly on (almost) any airline that happens to have availability for the dates I want to travel.

If you get the Chase BA card and spend $30,000 in a calendar year you get a 2-for-1 voucher (single-use, but valid for two years) - which means that you'd end up with more than enough Avios for two first class returns to the UK. You often find that the 'higher' the cabin, the better the award availability - so you may get lucky on that front too.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Used the reconsideration line for the Chase Hyatt card and was accepted

2 free nights in Paris next year I think.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 8:24 pm
Septic Sprout

Used the reconsideration line for the Chase Hyatt card and was accepted

2 free nights in Paris next year I think.
Nice work!

I'm applying for a Chase INK Plus, two Citi Hiltons (the basic, free ones) and a Bank of America Hawaiian Airlines one tomorrow!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one !! What are the bonuses on those cards ?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:35 pm
Septic Sprout

Nice one !! What are the bonuses on those cards ?
INK Plus - 50,000 Ultimate Rewards for spending $10,000 in 4 months (fee-free 1st year)
Hilton (x2) - 50,000 Hilton Honors points each when spending $1,500 in 3 months (fee free)
Hawaiian Airlines - 35,000 Hawaiian Miles for spending $1,000 in 3 months ($79 annual fee)

The Hawaiian miles transfer to Hilton at a ratio of 1:2.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just so you know, it's pretty cheap to cancel or change a reward booking on BA, around $25 I think, that way you could snag the days you wanted as they became available or cancel the whole booking if needs be. Bit of a hassle though !

One thing I have noticed though is a lot of availability in Europe. This is where Avios shines Imo.

E.g. 4,500 Avios ( + $40 ), Manchester to Paris with a stopover in London is a great deal.

Enjoy your trip
Old Oct 28th 2012, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonrob
I acquired a good deal of miles and points using credit cards. If you have a reasonable credit history then it's quite possible to apply for a number of cards that offer (a) good sign-up deals and (b) miles for every dollar you spend afterwards.
  • Make sure you know a good deal when you see one. This involves a bit of reading and keeping on top of what's out there. Many cards will have a crappy deal through most of the year but bump it up - sometimes by a lot - to grab new card-members during a short time (could be over several weeks or just for one day). One example would be AMEX, who usually offers paltry 25,000 (or even zero) sign-up deals for some of its Membership Rewards earning cards, but then will offer blitz deals for 75,000 or even 100,000 2 or 3 times a year.
  • Don't obsess about annual fees. It's nice to get the first year free, but for many cards the value of the points earned far outweighs the cost of the fee.
  • Some cards are keepers and some are just for the sign-up bonus. Example - the AMEX Starwood card is a keeper because Starpoints are valuable travel currency and you earn those with every dollar spent, whereas I apply for the Citibank Hilton card purely for the sign-up bonus as ongoing spend nets points that really aren't the best use of my spend.
  • Many card issuers only seem to report applications to the credit agencies once a day, so a strategy of applying for multiple cards in one day seems to be quite effective. I built up slowly, one at a time then two at a time, but now apply for 4 or 5 in one hit, usually every 3 months or so.

A number of blogs keep fairly accurate and up-to-date lists of current card offers. I will always check more than one before deciding which card to apply for, as invariably each list will contain an error or two (e.g. an old, or a sub-optimal offer). Good lists that I turn to are on Frequent Miler and Points Guy.
I am just re-posting this for anybody who has just joined this thread, or like me ,didn't quite absorb this great advice.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.