Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Old Aug 30th 2016, 11:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Originally Posted by kodokan
I shall apply for the CSR in a month or so. I still have $2k of bonus spend to do on my recently acquired Marriott Rewards card and have already time-shifted a bunch of Christmas spending cash to Amazon for the MileagePlus Explorer card I've just completed the bonus on, so no point getting the CSR now as I really don't have the spending overhead right now to make the bonus, and don't want to start in on wholly manufactured spending.
Why not? You'd hit the $4K the day after you received the card. Chase doesn't seem to care at all.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
That would preclude her from ever being eligible for the sign-up bonuses for those cards. Not to say that what you suggest isn't a valid strategy under certain circumstances (e.g. preserving the history on a long-standing line of credit).
I'm pretty sure Chase only stops you from getting a sign-up bonus if you've actually received a bonus for the same card in the past 24 months. So if you convert a card and therefore don't get a bonus, theoretically you could apply for a new card and qualify for the sign-up bonus.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Why not? You'd hit the $4K the day after you received the card. Chase doesn't seem to care at all.
Umm... dunno, really. Just seems to be over-rigging the game, somehow, to start churning VISA debits and money orders. Very rule-abiding, me. But I shall read up on it a bit more, and see if I can overcome my scruples. Worst case, I can timeshift groceries for the next few months by buying Kroger gift cards and doing a giant Costco run!
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
I'm pretty sure Chase only stops you from getting a sign-up bonus if you've actually received a bonus for the same card in the past 24 months. So if you convert a card and therefore don't get a bonus, theoretically you could apply for a new card and qualify for the sign-up bonus.
You're right. There is an additional requirement in that the card that gave you the prior bonus must be closed at the time the new application is made.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:07 pm
Septic Sprout

Umm... dunno, really. Just seems to be over-rigging the game, somehow, to start churning VISA debits and money orders. Very rule-abiding, me. But I shall read up on it a bit more, and see if I can overcome my scruples. Worst case, I can timeshift groceries for the next few months by buying Kroger gift cards and doing a giant Costco run!
Of course totally up to you. Just making sure you're aware that you're in no way prevented by anyone other than yourself in doing this. No-one is losing out financially - all companies concerned get their cut in merchant fees, gift card fees etc. Also I believe that morally it's none of their business what I spend money on as long as I'm not breaking any laws (which I certainly am not).
Old Sep 7th 2016, 1:03 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

costco do their own giftcards too and you can use them to pay for petrol at their pumps.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 2:00 am
Septic Sprout

Default 500 free Virgin America points

For signing up for spam with your fake email address:

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/pr...654157_857050_
Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:05 am
Septic Sprout

Default Delta coach domestic award sale - book by 30 Sep

One-way as low as 5,000 miles.

Delta Lets You Book Domestic One-Way Awards From 5000 Miles Through End of Month | View from the Wing
Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:08 am
Septic Sprout

Default Really good summary of current offers

Here's a link to a site that periodically summarizes all current short-term offers, listed by closing date.

It’s not too late – Deals still alive as of 09/11/2016 - Frequent Miler

I'll be going through this list and picking off a few.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:45 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

From October Singapore Airlines switch their Houston-Moscow flight to Houston-Manchester.

It's available wide open dates through to next summer for $606 all in. That's a great deal.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 10:47 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by g1ant
From October Singapore Airlines switch their Houston-Moscow flight to Houston-Manchester.

It's available wide open dates through to next summer for $606 all in. That's a great deal.
Sweet, but, sadly, not Suite.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:46 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet, but, sadly, not Suite.
Indeed. But for that price, I'm not even thinking of burning miles.

I'll be sitting in the back for the first time for 8 years..... the indignity of it !!!
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:00 pm
Septic Sprout

Default Marriott/Starwood merger opportunities

As part of the merger points can now be transferred between Starwood and Marriott at a conversion rate of 1:3.

This unlocks some interesting opportunities for those who have points in one or both programmes.

1) It means that you can transfer Marriott into Starwood to take advantage of their good range of airline transfer partners where 20K Starwood = 25K miles.

2) It means you can convert Starwood into Marriott to take advantage of Marriott Travel Packages, where you exchange points for 5 or 7 night hotel certificates plus airline miles.

Having a good number of points across these programs I'll definitely be having a good look into this.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:18 pm
Septic Sprout

Just booked a winter jolly that I thought I'd share. Taking the Sproutlet to London for some accent reinforcement before dropping her off in Germany while Mrs tonrob and I spend a few days in Dubai.

BA first class to London. Booked with my stash of BA Avios that largely consists of transfers from AMEX Membership Rewards while 50% transfer bonuses are on. 68k Avios plus $450 rip-off BA surcharges and taxes per person.

A week in a suite at a Hyatt. Booked with cash and points combo, where Hyatt points are transferred in from Chase Ultimate Rewards. Cash portion will be paid with Citi Thank You Premier card that earns 3x points on hotel stays. Suite upgrade courtesy of Hyatt Diamond status, obtained via a status match from Hilton Diamond, which I'd obtained via spend on an AMEX Hilton card.

BA Club Europe to Frankfurt, using Reward Flight Saver, Avios primarily obtained as before. 7,500 Avios per person plus $40.

Etihad business class Frankfurt to Abu Dhabi, booked using 42k American Airlines miles plus $50 per person.

Few nights in a suite at a Hyatt in Dubai, deal as before.

Emirates first class back to Frankfurt, Booked by converting Starwood Preferred Guest points to Japan Airlines and then using those to book Emirates (great way to avoid fuel surcharges). 105k SPG plus $60 in total.

Finally Lufthansa business class back to Boston booked with 70k United miles plus $110 per person, transferred across from Chase Ultimate Rewards.

How I obtained the points and miles is pretty much documented upthread, but as always happy to answer questions. I couldn't have created this itinerary without early diversification across multiple programmes, so this would be my advice to any newbies - build balances slowly and carefully across at least 2 or 3 carefully selected programmes, using credit card offers in addition to what you earn from any regular travel.

Last edited by tonrob; Oct 11th 2016 at 9:23 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to register my disappointment with the Airbus A380. Had my first experience this week, flying SFO to LHR on one. I paid extra for a 'window seat' up front (coach), but all I could see out the window was the damn massive wing! The windows themselves are weird also - big on the inside, but the walls are so thick and the outer window is quite a bit smaller. But worst of all, despite being brand spanking new (clean, unworn, etc) the seat was a disaster for me - I could NOT get comfortable. At LHR I transferred to a lesser Airbus (A320 I think) for the trip to Manchester, and it was such a relief! I think I'll be avoiding them in the future. Cool entertainment system, though! (which sadly I'm not a big user of).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.