Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:13 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I just looked for direct (not connecting flights) outbound.
Wednes 20th Jan 1 flight
Thurs 21st Jan 7.15am 2 seats
Thurs 21st Jan 12.25 1 seat
friday 22nd Jan 12.25 1 seat
Wednes 3rd Feb 7.15 am 1 seat, 12.25 2 seats
then nothing showing on direct til 17th Feb 15.15 2 seats

I didn't have time to look at return flights for you - sorry, little sprog has come home

What I've heard is that by searching on american airlines site, you see more availability and then you phone BA and tell them that AA site is showing availability - give them details and ask them to book it for you. If they try to charge you a phone charge then politely ask them to reconsider that bit since you tried to book online but couldn't. Same with other partner airlines - find the availability and then phone BA.
Ah, that's why. I'm looking for 3 seats. Thank you so much for your help. I can't believe how difficult and frustrating the BA site is, everyone else's seems so much easier.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:17 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Ah, that's why. I'm looking for 3 seats. Thank you so much for your help. I can't believe how difficult and frustrating the BA site is, everyone else's seems so much easier.

Hope you get something !

There's a coursera course with Chris Guillebeau and someone else on how to do all this. I might just do it.....

Glad to hear you got the BA card, I applied but it came back with needing a look which doesn't sound hopeful.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

N1cky, the american airlines one is much better....
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 11:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

What I've heard is that by searching on american airlines site, you see more availability and then you phone BA and tell them that AA site is showing availability - give them details and ask them to book it for you. If they try to charge you a phone charge then politely ask them to reconsider that bit since you tried to book online but couldn't. Same with other partner airlines - find the availability and then phone BA.
This.

BA's award search engine on their website is shit.

BAEC has access to AA award redemptions that is equal to everything to see in the Award MilesAAver category on AA's site. Therefore to find BA availability on AA look on AA's site.

You will still need to call BA to book, and BA award prices will be the ones you pay (so ignore the number of miles required and amount of co-pay stated on AA's site search results).

This kind of thing unfortunately applies across various airlines. Often you need to look elsewhere first. The places that are best to look vary over time and with the situation you're in, so Google can help (e.g. "Best way to find BA award availability" or similar. If you add the term "boadingarea" to your search you will access the collective wisdom of a broad family of travel blogs). In the last I have had to use ana.com to find availability on Thai which I then booked with United miles.... You get the drift.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 10:13 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Star Alliance status match

Avianca (Brazillian airline) are offering status matches until the end of November. Could be a good way to get status on a Star Alliance airline if you currently hold status with a non-Star Alliance partner.

I'm Gold with both BA and Virgin Atlantic, so thought I'd give it a punt. You need to navigate through a Portuguese-only sign-up page to join their programme to begin with, but this wasn't too difficult.

This blog entry I found explains what to do from that point on.

I'll let you know whether it works. I sometimes fly Lufthansa economy on short hops in Europe, so this would be good for getting lounge access instead of hanging around by the gate.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 10:18 am
Septic Sprout

Default Lots of AA Award space to London

Apparently loads of AA Award space has just opened up to London from various cities across the US. Probably won't last long at all (possibly wasn't intentional on their part...?).

Details.

Bookable with AA and BA.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 11:03 am
Septic Sprout

Default Earn and burn?

Good article on pros and cons of hoarding miles/points for future trips versus spending them as quickly as possible in case programs devalue.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:37 pm
Septic Sprout

Default Turkish bonanza

Turkish airlines award availability temporarily "wide open":
Great Deal: Turkish Business Class Awards WIDE OPEN - One Mile at a Time
Old Oct 25th 2015, 12:08 pm
Septic Sprout

Default Increased AMEX Delta sign-up offer

Temporarily increased to 50K until 17th Nov. Details here.

AMEX personal card bonuses are currently "once per lifetime", and while 50K is an increase from recent offers, historically it has gone higher (I got 80K when I signed up, although that was a couple of years ago). Delta miles are more difficult to accrue than they used to be since SunTrust hobbled its Delta Skymiles debit card.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:26 am
Septic Sprout

Default BA Avios North America domestic devaluation

It was too good to last. See here for news that short-haul redemptions in North America will suddenly cost a lot more from February. Avios still a good option in certain circumstances.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 7:38 pm
Austin. TX.

Tonrob...
I've got BA avios and Lufthansa miles and more but I'm flying to Sydney on qantas. Is there any way I can use the lufthansa miles to upgrade my seat?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2015, 11:16 pm
Septic Sprout

Tonrob...
I've got BA avios and Lufthansa miles and more but I'm flying to Sydney on qantas. Is there any way I can use the lufthansa miles to upgrade my seat?

Thanks!
Sell them on the black market and use the cash? That's about it, I'm afraid.

Watch those LH miles too. They expire 3 years from earning, regardless of any account activity in the interim.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 11:39 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by tonrob
Sell them on the black market and use the cash? That's about it, I'm afraid.

Watch those LH miles too. They expire 3 years from earning, regardless of any account activity in the interim.
you sure about the LH miles? OH seems to think that so long as you do something with the account, then you keep them. So, for example he's had a couple of united flights and put them on his LH account.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 11:51 pm
Septic Sprout

you sure about the LH miles? OH seems to think that so long as you do something with the account, then you keep them. So, for example he's had a couple of united flights and put them on his LH account.
There are a couple of exceptions for elites and credit card holders though (which this was a good opportunity to remind myself about).

Good explanation here.

How many are you sitting on?
Old Nov 11th 2015, 11:51 pm
Septic Sprout

Default Airberlin business class trans-Atlantic wide open next year

Use Avios, hardly any fees, much better seat than BA. Just booked 2x BOS-DUS one way for 120K and $11.

Wide Open Business Class Europe Awards With No Fuel Surcharges for American and Even BA Members! - View from the Wing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.