Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Old Sep 22nd 2015, 7:08 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Originally Posted by louie
I wouldn't be so sure about that - quite a few airlines make extra reward space available as the flight dates approach as by then they have a better idea of how much space they will have. For example, I booked my parents on a business class Singapore Airlines reward flight last week to travel today.
oh nice, I will keep checking. With it being in school holiday time though I don't fancy my chances.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 7:10 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

This looks great. BA credit card sign up for new user. 50k avios points on spending $2k in 3 months + another 50K points if you spend $20k in the first year or 25k points if you spend $10k within the year.

"Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you’ll earn a “Travel Together Ticket” good for two years
In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 2.5 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1.25 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases
Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad
The interesting thing about Avios points—managed by British Airways—is that the best way to use them has nothing to do with British Airways. If redeeming for BA flights, you’ll pay some hefty fuel surcharges, diluting the value of the points.

So what do you do instead? You redeem them for flights on OneWorld partners, in particular American Airlines (for short-haul flights in the U.S.) and Iberia (for transatlantic flights with no fuel surcharges)."
Old Sep 25th 2015, 1:08 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
This looks great. BA credit card sign up for new user. 50k avios points on spending $2k in 3 months + another 50K points if you spend $20k in the first year or 25k points if you spend $10k within the year.

"Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you’ll earn a “Travel Together Ticket” good for two years
In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 2.5 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1.25 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases
The interesting thing about Avios points—managed by British Airways—is that the best way to use them has nothing to do with British Airways. If redeeming for BA flights, you’ll pay some hefty fuel surcharges, diluting the value of the points.

So what do you do instead? You redeem them for flights on OneWorld partners, in particular American Airlines (for short-haul flights in the U.S.) and Iberia (for transatlantic flights with no fuel surcharges)."
It is a very good offer. I'd jump on it myself if I wasn't balls-deep in Avios at the moment.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 9:59 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Club Carlson Free Night for Visa cardholders

Reports of US Bank Visa cardholders receiving a free night voucher after complaining about removal of free night benefit from card.

How I Got a Free Club Carlson Night
Old Sep 29th 2015, 10:02 am
Septic Sprout

Default Amtrak changes

Not new news as such, but info on new co-branded BoA Amtrak cards, and end of relationship with Chase includes stopping transfers from Ultimate Rewards from 8 Dec. Also note changes to Amtrak redemptions, generally making some Northeast travel cheaper but long-distance/sleeper more expensive.

Chase Transfers to Amtrak End December 8 - View from the Wing

My speculation - many trips get more expensive, but possible off-set if it turns out that you can apply for (and cancel) the new BoA cards on a regular basis. Watch this space (or just experiment for yourself).
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:32 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Club Carlson Free Night for Visa cardholders

Originally Posted by tonrob
Reports of US Bank Visa cardholders receiving a free night voucher after complaining about removal of free night benefit from card.

How I Got a Free Club Carlson Night
My wife who is so loyal to US Bank/Club Carlson that she doesn't even know she has the card got one out of the blue with no complaint.

I complained that I was more loyal than her, and they gave me one too.

Two free nights in the Radisson Royal in Dubai next March on my DFW-DXB-AMS A380 in F jaunt. Don't mind if I do.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 4:57 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting this. Just applied and card was approved. We're looking at buying a new car at the moment. Might just chuck it on here to get the bonus points immediately, then pay the card off.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:58 pm

I must be doing something wrong, but no matter what I do, I can't find any partner flights on BA's website.

I'm logging in on BA, going to Spend Avios, tried numerous dates in January and February, for flights from SFO to New York, or Portland, every single request comes back, no flights available.

I've read the link Tonrob posted, and this is what I'm supposed to do. Right? Help!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=N1cky;11763508]I must be doing something wrong, but no matter what I do, I can't find any partner flights on BA's website.

I'm logging in on BA, going to Spend Avios, tried numerous dates in January and February, for flights from SFO to New York, or Portland, every single request comes back, no flights available.

I've read the link Tonrob posted, and this is what I'm supposed to do. Right? Help!!!![/QUOT
Try american airlines and alaskanair?

I looked at alaskanair (BA partner) and there was availabilty in february.

Redeeming British Airways Avios On Alaska Airlines - One Mile at a Time
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:28 pm

[QUOTE=petitefrancaise;11763517]
Originally Posted by N1cky
I must be doing something wrong, but no matter what I do, I can't find any partner flights on BA's website.

I've read the link Tonrob posted, and this is what I'm supposed to do. Right? Help!!!![/QUOT
Try american airlines and alaskanair?

I looked at alaskanair (BA partner) and there was availabilty in february.

Redeeming British Airways Avios On Alaska Airlines - One Mile at a Time
I'm just looking for ideas at the moment, and costs. So don't want to call. Literally every search I enter comes up with 'no flights available' and the calendar to show available dates never works.

According to the earlier link, I should be able to book AA and US flights on the BA website, but nothing ever shows up, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong. If I look on the individual websites, both show flights available.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:31 pm
Austin. TX.

sorry copied the wrong link

from here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-travel.aspx
to here to book
https://www.alaskaair.com/planbook?awards=yes

try this one-
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:46 pm

sorry copied the wrong link

from here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-travel.aspx
to here to book
https://www.alaskaair.com/planbook?awards=yes

try this one-
I'm obviously being really thick here. But how do I book online at alaskaair, with my BA points? I thought I had to call up to use Alaska, and why would I call Alaska to use BA points, to fly with AA?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 8:21 pm
Austin. TX.

ok, N1cky, I am far from an expert here and maybe one of the others will explain better..

I am getting results from Ba.com with limited availability on American for your flights in January/February - not every day but mid-week yes.

BA.com; you have to first go to the Executive Club tab and click on Spending Avios; then click on Redeem, Use Avios, or Reward Flights

make sure when you get to the page where you're booking to/from dates and destination that you click on "reward flight availability" which appears to do nothing but it does.
After you click "get flights" you have the option of altering dates to see availability on other days
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 8:32 pm

ok, N1cky, I am far from an expert here and maybe one of the others will explain better..

I am getting results from Ba.com with limited availability on American for your flights in January/February - not every day but mid-week yes.

BA.com; you have to first go to the Executive Club tab and click on Spending Avios; then click on Redeem, Use Avios, or Reward Flights

make sure when you get to the page where you're booking to/from dates and destination that you click on "reward flight availability" which appears to do nothing but it does.
After you click "get flights" you have the option of altering dates to see availability on other days
Thanks, yes that's what I'm doing, but no availability, and no way to look at a calendar to see when there is availability, so you've just got to keep randomly guessing dates?

What date did you see availability, out of interest, I'll see if I can see any for that day. That way I can check it's working, and the site is just crap, or whether it's me being a total numpty.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:07 pm
Austin. TX.

I just looked for direct (not connecting flights) outbound.
Wednes 20th Jan 1 flight
Thurs 21st Jan 7.15am 2 seats
Thurs 21st Jan 12.25 1 seat
friday 22nd Jan 12.25 1 seat
Wednes 3rd Feb 7.15 am 1 seat, 12.25 2 seats
then nothing showing on direct til 17th Feb 15.15 2 seats

I didn't have time to look at return flights for you - sorry, little sprog has come home

What I've heard is that by searching on american airlines site, you see more availability and then you phone BA and tell them that AA site is showing availability - give them details and ask them to book it for you. If they try to charge you a phone charge then politely ask them to reconsider that bit since you tried to book online but couldn't. Same with other partner airlines - find the availability and then phone BA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.