Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:44 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Originally Posted by N1cky
Urgh!!! I find this whole thread both inspiring and daunting.

I'm trying to sort out our vacation for next summer. We're wanting to fly from SFO to Paris, stay 5 nights, fly to Barcelona stay 5 nights, fly to Manchester for a few days, before flying back to SFO.

We're not flexible with dates (a day or 2 either side), we need to fly out around July 13, and back around July 30.

We've got 300,000 BA Avios points, around 200,000 Chase points.

To complicate things more, if I book flights direct I can deduct $1,950 from the total cost.

Also if I book certain hotels direct I can get a fantastic discount, so it's not really worth me using points for hotels.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

I can't use Avios points for my flights from/to SFO as there's no availability in July.

I can use 120,000 Chase points for SFO-Barcelona, then Man-SFO. Those flights would cost me $5,173 if booked direct with the airline, I'd pay $2,143 cash, so 120,000 points seems expensive.

Tonrob, you must have the patience of a saint to figure out all your trips.
Hello from the new Pier first class lounge in Hong Kong!

120K UR to save $2,143 equates to 1.79c/point, which isn't terrible at all. You can effectively buy UR at 1c apiece by buying Visa gift cards.

Take it you've triple checked Avios availability via BA.com, aa.com etc. this blog post effectively covers everything (if you knew all this already then maybe it's of help to others):

Book British Airways Award Flights Like a Pro: Part 9 – How to Find Award Availability | Million Mile Secrets
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:21 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

120K UR to save $2,143 equates to 1.79c/point, which isn't terrible at all. You can effectively buy UR at 1c apiece by buying Visa gift cards.

Take it you've triple checked Avios availability via BA.com, aa.com etc. this blog post effectively covers everything (if you knew all this already then maybe it's of help to others):

Book British Airways Award Flights Like a Pro: Part 9 – How to Find Award Availability | Million Mile Secrets
Thanks, I'll read that tomorrow. Might use my Chase points then, I just keep saving and never spending.

Enjoy this leg of your trip, safe travels
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Urgh!!! I find this whole thread both inspiring and daunting.

I'm trying to sort out our vacation for next summer. We're wanting to fly from SFO to Paris, stay 5 nights, fly to Barcelona stay 5 nights, fly to Manchester for a few days, before flying back to SFO.

We're not flexible with dates (a day or 2 either side), we need to fly out around July 13, and back around July 30.

We've got 300,000 BA Avios points, around 200,000 Chase points.

To complicate things more, if I book flights direct I can deduct $1,950 from the total cost.

Also if I book certain hotels direct I can get a fantastic discount, so it's not really worth me using points for hotels.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

I can't use Avios points for my flights from/to SFO as there's no availability in July.

I can use 120,000 Chase points for SFO-Barcelona, then Man-SFO. Those flights would cost me $5,173 if booked direct with the airline, I'd pay $2,143 cash, so 120,000 points seems expensive.

Tonrob, you must have the patience of a saint to figure out all your trips.

I've no help on the flights/points, but what about train instead of flights for the Paris to Barcelona leg? That might be more fun.

Paris to Barcelona by TGV train | Tickets from �59, �44, $68
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I've no help on the flights/points, but what about train instead of flights for the Paris to Barcelona leg? That might be more fun.

Paris to Barcelona by TGV train | Tickets from �59, �44, $68
That's a good idea, thanks. I was actually looking at train fares in Europe yesterday, as we are thinking of going to Florence instead of Barcelona. I'm now favoring Florence, as we can get the train to go to Venice, and Rome, for the day. Starting at $22 return.

Also, can get a flight for $55 pp from Paris to Florence, which is a real bargain. $147 to Barcelona.

I forget how cheap travel in Europe is, the prices in the US are ridiculous.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:01 pm

Thanks, that was really helpful, I was only searching on round trips or multi destination before.

By searching one way, there is a great flight from San Jose to London for 48,750 miles and $770, for all 3 of us. But I can't find any flights back to San Jose or San Francisco on either BA or AA's sites.

Now I've realized that I can't read too, and the Chase points were per person, so not such a good deal at all.

Last edited by N1cky; Sep 10th 2015 at 4:26 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:25 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought look on United. If they have awards flights when you want them you can open a Mileageplus account and transfer the Chase points 1 for 1.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 4:28 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just a thought look on United. If they have awards flights when you want them you can open a Mileageplus account and transfer the Chase points 1 for 1.
Good call. No fuel surcharges either.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 9:07 pm
Septic Sprout

Default Latest round of card applications

BoA Virgin Atlantic: 20K first use, 55K after spending $12K in 6m. 5K each for 2 AUs added. $79 annual fee. Result - instant approval.
BoA Alaskan Airlines Business: 25K first use. $75 annual fee. Result - pending.
Citi Thank You Prestige: 50K after spending $3K in 3m. $450 annual fee offset by $250 annual airline credit. Result - approved after calling in.
Citi AA Business: 50K after spending $3K in 3m. Fee waived for 12m. Result - instant approval.
AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest Business: 30K after spending $5 in 3m. Fee waived for 12m. Result - had to close Delta Business card (too many credit cards - AMEX has limit of 4 simultaneously). Now pending decision for 72 hours.
Chase United Business: 50K after spending $2K in 3m. Fee waived for 12m. Result - pending.

Would normally call in about the pending ones, but only home for 36 hours between trips so decided to let nature take its course.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:41 pm

Thanks for that.

Due to other factors this trip is now looking dead in the water, well until June next year, when I have no chance of getting any reward flights Bloody kids.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 7:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

Due to other factors this trip is now looking dead in the water, well until June next year, when I have no chance of getting any reward flights Bloody kids.
Don't be so sure you will not get reward flights in June. I've just booked a trip back to the UK in June and there were plenty of reward flights on United. I had enough points for one free ticket and was going to buy the other one, until Delta did a flash sale and I bought 2 Delta tickets for less than 1 on United. Saved some money and kept my points for another time. Which goes to show just because its June don't assume there are not reward flights or bargains out there.

Another thought if you book the travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards even if you don't have enough points for the full amount, you can do points and cash.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 7:56 pm

Don't be so sure you will not get reward flights in June. I've just booked a trip back to the UK in June and there were plenty of reward flights on United. I had enough points for one free ticket and was going to buy the other one, until Delta did a flash sale and I bought 2 Delta tickets for less than 1 on United. Saved some money and kept my points for another time. Which goes to show just because its June don't assume there are not reward flights or bargains out there.

Another thought if you book the travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards even if you don't have enough points for the full amount, you can do points and cash.
Thanks, I meant I wouldn't know if the July trip was possible until June, picking up reward seats, or even cheap seats one month out won't be possible.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 5:29 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest round of card applications

Citi AA Business: 50K after spending $3K in 3m. Fee waived for 12m. Result - instant approval.
I got hold of this one, and the missus got a different card with American with 50k including two free companion tickets. Looks like we're going to be able to do that Hawaii trip in the new year

After we get done buying the house I can see myself feverishly hoovering up deals on credit cards with mileage rewards, too.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Enrico is an unknown quantity at this point

Tonrob,

Some superb information here an thanks for taking the time to write everything up and pass on the wealth of info. I am about to move to the US and will be working out of Dallas, I will be traveling a lot for work (internationally) and I will also need to apply for credit cards as soon as poss. I have looked into the Chase cards, which look favourable but if you had any recommendations on which airline partnership I should fly with I'd be most appreciative.

I have been living in Italy and am a member of miles and more and skywards (lufthansa and emirates) plus BA. Silver on the first two but no status with BA.

I want to run everything through credit cards to build up as many points as possible and what I like about the Chase points is they are transferable. I don't know if I will be approved for a credit card immediately but if I am to go with one for now, then would you recommend Chase? Or is it better to go with an airline specific C/C?

I am not new to the travel world but I am completely new to accumulating points through credit cards and traveling internationally out of Dallas as my home airport.

Thanks for your input.

Henry
Old Sep 17th 2015, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

You may struggle to get approved for credit at first. I would advise you get a secured card (capital one does a good one) and make payments on it just to build your credit history. That was the only card I managed to get for about a year after arriving. Also, if you have an Amex card where you live currently, you may be able to call them and ask them to transfer your card to a US one. That would definitely be worth ddoing.

If you don't have any particular favored airline, I would suggest the Chase Sapphire Rewards card. It has an annual fee of $100 but it's pretty versatile in that you can transfer points to a number of different reward programs rather than just being tied to one. You get triple points on dining so if you eat out a lot that really racks up points quickly.

Personally I like Southwest for internal flights, you can accrue points quickly using the Chase Sapphire Preferred card or Southwest airlines card (also by Chase) and their change fees are very flexible. I can't really comment on international flights as I am limited to Delta when I fly back to the UK from Detroit.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I meant I wouldn't know if the July trip was possible until June, picking up reward seats, or even cheap seats one month out won't be possible.
I wouldn't be so sure about that - quite a few airlines make extra reward space available as the flight dates approach as by then they have a better idea of how much space they will have. For example, I booked my parents on a business class Singapore Airlines reward flight last week to travel today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.