Reload this Page >

'Transracial' man, born white, says he feels Filipino

'Transracial' man, born white, says he feels Filipino

Old Nov 18th 2017, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Transracial' man, born white, says he feels Filipino

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ino/858043001/

TAMPA, Fla. — Ja Du, born a white male named Adam, now considers himself a Filipino.

He even drives what he calls a Tuk Tuk, an Asian-derived vehicle used for public transit in the Philippines.

Ja Du is part of a small but growing number of people who call themselves transracial. The term once referred only to someone (or a couple) of a one race adopting a child of another, but now it’s becoming associated with someone born of one race who identifies with another.

Ja Du says he grew up enjoying Filipino food, events and the overall culture.

“Whenever I’m around the music, around the food, I feel like I’m in my own skin,” he said.

“I’d watch the History Channel, sometimes for hours ... nothing else intrigued me more but things about Filipino culture.”

The term transracial started to become more widely known after the much-publicized story of Rachel Dolezal. Dolezal, born white, identified as black and portrayed herself as such. She was even the president of the Spokane, Wash., chapter of the NAACP.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 3:52 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Transracial' man, born white, says he feels Filipino

I read about this last week. You're a little behind on the news there, kid.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how a state like CA would handle a 'trans racial' kid applying for college in a state school, like University of California; as I understand it, they have different entry standards for different racial categories in order to achieve 'cultural balance' (what this amounts to, in the eyes of the cynics, is Blacks getting in easy and Asians having to score 110% ...). So if I were a mediocre white kid I could claim to be a trans-racial black kid . Knowing CA, they'd treat him as black ...
Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I wonder how a state like CA would handle a 'trans racial' kid applying for college in a state school, like University of California; as I understand it, they have different entry standards for different racial categories in order to achieve 'cultural balance' (what this amounts to, in the eyes of the cynics, is Blacks getting in easy and Asians having to score 110% ...). So if I were a mediocre white kid I could claim to be a trans-racial black kid . Knowing CA, they'd treat him as black ...
Sure, why not. "Racial fluidity."
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well if you have a DNA test done must be a small percent whatever, do they require DNA tests, would that be allowed.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Ali G is surely the first?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well if you have a DNA test done must be a small percent whatever, do they require DNA tests, would that be allowed.
Actually, that might well not be so.

MrBEVS cousin is 'mixed race' . White grandmother to afro-caribbean grandfather.
Her parents both look afro-caribbean. She identifies as black. She is dark skinned with very curly hair.

Recently she had a dna test done. That is all Uk/Europe. DNA %'s come out more or less the same as for my fair skinned baldy gingerish husband.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Ali G is surely the first?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 3:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

DNA isn't reliable for verifying race. Because the 50% you inherit from each of your parents is a random 50% that they, themselves inherited 50% from each of their parents; if you happen to be a black person that has any white ancestors, it's entirely possible you could come back with more European DNA than African.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:32 pm
`

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
DNA isn't reliable for verifying race. Because the 50% you inherit from each of your parents is a random 50% that they, themselves inherited 50% from each of their parents; if you happen to be a black person that has any white ancestors, it's entirely possible you could come back with more European DNA than African.

Or all European dna as in the case I illustrated.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

Or all European dna as in the case I illustrated.
It would be a rare case, but yes.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:01 pm
`

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It would be a rare case, but yes.
I know. So random really. She is a bit shocked by this

Hers
Ethnicity:
Regions: Great Britain, Scandinavia.
Trace Regions: Europe West, Iberian Peninsula
Waiting to see if her siblings/parents test & how that will come out.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know. So random really. She is a bit shocked by this

Hers

Waiting to see if her siblings/parents test & how that will come out.
Siblings should all be different, as everyone gets a different 50% from each of their parents. The parents would have slightly different results as well.

Happened to my wife. She knows she's German, her great (possibly one more great) grandfather was born in Germany and his line can be traced back to when that part of Germany was part of Denmark. While she has some Scandinavian, she had almost no Europe West (which I think is what they use for Germany) and about 60-70% Great Britain/Ireland. Whereas her dad's mum came back 70-odd % Europe West.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

So how does it work if you want a Positive Discrimination benefit?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:58 pm
`

Positive Discrimination benefit?
What does this phrase mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.